Performance Boats Forum banner

Sounds like a smoking deal

48K views 364 replies 66 participants last post by  Squirtcha? 
#1 ·
6th Street guys should know this boat and owner ... spoke to him, sounds like a great deal, intake might need to be reset for 90+ mph, but other than that, it is an MPD pump that was freshened by Tom Papp before his passing ... sounds like a steal, DJD you got any information on this ride?

18' Young Blood Gullwing Stainless steel saddle tanks, Rail style motor mounts set up for a big block Chevy, Bassett headers for big block Chevy, Custom painted fiberglass scoop, Balanced and blueprinted jet set up for racing, Manual Place diverter, Jetaway ratchet, Tandem trailer, Billet steering whell adaptor with billet steering wheel. More Pictures Upon Request $4,800
Chris Johnson (714)809-6465

See less See more
#7 ·
That boat belongs to my budy Matt who moved to Tenesee. We used to run around in that thing all the time. I built a 468 tunnel ram deal for it and it would run rite at 100 with no problem. It is a 19 footer i believe not an 18 but it used to be a sweet ride. It is like a dark purple with yellows orange and red. The pump has a stainles impeller detailed by MPD and a brand new jetaway. The intake was set but it was slightly off when he set it so he never ran it since then and thats been probably been almost ten years. Thats the long and the short of it.

#15 ·
brian, is there a reason other than being crooked set, that the intake would need to be reset for 100mph? never herd that before and i'm trying to get my 430lb tx into the 110's this summer.mb1201 dominator intake, 12s pump.ran 101mph a couple times last summer with the blown 475, just didn't have enough hp to go any faster or quiker, it'd run 98 all day long.

#16 · (Edited)
brian, is there a reason other than being crooked set, that the intake
would need to be reset for 100mph? never herd that before and i'm trying to get my 430lb tx into
the 110's this summer.mb1201 dominator intake, 12s pump.ran 101mph a couple times last summer
with the blown 475, just didn't have enough hp to go any faster or quiker, it'd run 98 all day long.
From what I'm being told the intake was not set properly to begin with. It's not being reset to get to
100. It's being reset so it handles properly. Apparently it would get a little unruly after the 90's.

According to the seller they took the boat in to Tom Papp to see if it could be fixed thinking it might
have a hook or something. I guess Tom took some measurements and discovered that it had a very
small amount of hook (negligible), but that the intake wasn't set right (it's crooked). Here's where it
gets a little cloudy. I'm not sure if it's off left to right, up and down or what. Anyway that's where it
got left at. I guess they decided not to mess with it and so she sits.

I went and talked to Dan Nelson (Jett Performance Marine) here in Phoenix and I'm all set up to take
the boat in when I get it back here . He'll put it back right again. I like to do things myself, but I don't
want to mess with the intake.

Here's a couple more pictures. Like I said it needs some TLC but it has a lot of promise.

#18 ·
you can build plates without setting back the pump, i'm doin it this summer if i keep mine. sure makes it easier to get the bowl off, don't know wtf i was thinking when i built the pump, should've done mine then:)st

thanx for clearing that up squirt, never had an ill handling issue with mine, its on rails above 90 , i've even had to make a slight turn doin 95+ and it did it with grace.

#22 ·
Thanks Randy. The yellow one is in Sacramento. The seller started out with an asking price of $7700 less motor. I didn't even try to negotiate it. I figured even if I got him down to $7000 it would've still been more than I wanted to spend. Not that it wasn't worth it, just more than I wanted to spend. Rumor had it he wanted $10,000 with the motor.

This one needs some work and money, but I can do it as I can afford it and still have a pretty nice ride in the meantime. Also the satisfaction of doing much of it myself.

First things are the pump/intake situation. Then clean, sand and gelcoat the bilge, carpet, seats. I should still end up under $7000 when it's all said n done and it's gonna fit everyone being a 19. I checked out TX19's boat the other day and was amazed as to how much room those things have.

#27 · (Edited)
Thanks. Yeah the jetaway was definitely a big bonus. Also like the nice boxed in trailer.

I believe the white part (lower) is gelcoat and the blues and other candies are paint. Could be wrong.......it might all be paint. Looks like Jim might know. It's got a blem or two on it. I can live with that though.

that boat is a 19ft boat and it is not real light, it make a good ski boat, i had to help lift it to put bunks on the trailer, it belonged to my first driver of my race boat, the same guy painted it that painted my boat, Jimmie alevaris, i built the original 468 that was in it, that motor ran 108 in my boat at castaic, we ran his ski motor till my motor was done, because the boat was being painted, a it's a good deal !!!!
Thanks for chiming in Jim. More history..........gotta love it! I'm glad it's not real light. That's a big reason why I didn't go with the first boat I was looking at. If the 468 ran 108 in your boat, what did it run in this one?

#26 ·
gullwing

that boat is a 19ft boat and it is not real light, it make a good ski boat, i had to help lift it to put bunks on the trailer, it belonged to my first driver of my race boat, the same guy painted it that painted my boat, Jimmie alevaris, i built the original 468 that was in it, that motor ran 108 in my boat at castaic, we ran his ski motor till my motor was done, because the boat was being painted, a it's a good deal !!!!

#40 ·
Yupper. I'll be smiling all the way to Cali.

WOW!!! I didnt see the pics last nite because they wouldnt load for me. That is a smoking deal. Dan, you will be happy with that boat. I love the paint/get whatever it is. That is a similar deal that I got from busby. I just wish my gel looked like that. I love the colors!!!!!! Looks like damn near everyone in "Da Eastside Crew and Da Westside Crew" is stepping up this yeear:)
Ya know it's funny you should say that. I saw the picture on dragboats.com and thought ah what the hell, maybe it's not so bad. When I asked him for more pictures and he sent the rest of them, it was like DING DING DING we have a winner!

They always seem to look better in pictures than in person, but I'm sure I'll be fine with it.

Good luck on the new Gullwing Dan, I'm glad I could help you out.

If anyone is interested in the yellow gullwing and wants a fast and light hull it really is a very clean boat with alot of potential to run fast
Thank you Norm. I agree with the yellow boat. If I could've afforded to keep my Kachina for the times the whole family went, then get that one for just me n my honey, I'da probably gone for it.

#29 ·
gull wing

after it was painted we put the motor in. he didn't want to spend any more money on it as he was getting married, wouldn't do pump or rideplate or even a place diverter, i took it out and couldn't even stay in it, the faster i went it started to burry the nose , i think next trip he went by himself and put a wedge in it , his wife said it was to fast didn't like it sold it fast, the motor wasn't suppose to go with it we were putting a ski motor together for it but someone wanted it like it was, the bottom is original gel coat i believe the deck was white with med. blue metalflake. i ended up buying the ski motor and that ran 89 mph in my crusauder tunnel at bakersfield, I was thinking about this boat myself, goodluck and have fun.!!!

#34 ·
Thanks for calling me back......................SUCKA:D:D:D

396<-----planning a drive by at Randys house:D:D

#38 ·
WOW!!! I didnt see the pics last nite because they wouldnt load for me. That is a smoking deal. Dan, you will be happy with that boat. I love the paint/get whatever it is. That is a similar deal that I got from busby. I just wish my gel looked like that. I love the colors!!!!!! Looks like damn near everyone in "Da Eastside Crew and Da Westside Crew" is stepping up this yeear:)

#41 ·
So when do you plan on having this boat ready??? 1-2,3-4,5-6 months? I cant wait til July, I think everyone(Eastand Westsiders) should be dialed in. Then we all need to convoy to the river for a weekend trip.

#49 · (Edited)
Hey Pat. I tried to set it up for this weekend, but Chris (the seller) is out of town til Monday.

you dont want to do that on a cp. the clean out ends up part way out the back with a nice setback on a CP, not all the way like your used to seeing on our tunnels. to hang it all the way out you have to cut through the back of the boat and hang the intake a mile out the back. Bad idea.
Chris, I'm curious (or maybe if someone has a picture) how do they do the popoff on a Gullwing if the cleanout doesn't clear the rear (so to speak)? Not that I intend to run one, just curious really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.