Joe Sherman Racing Engines...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 29

Thread:
Joe Sherman Racing Engines...

  1. #1
    Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,374

    Default Joe Sherman Racing Engines...

    Anyone here ever deal with Joe in Santa Ana OR know him personally???

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Purple headed member Quickjet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Menifee
    Posts
    7,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    Anyone here ever deal with Joe in Santa Ana OR know him personally???
    He did a couple sets of small block heads for me in the 90's. Great guy to deal with and he knows how to pull power out of a 23 degree headed 406. King of small blocks is what they call him........
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    I used to believe QJ was a gay black man..

    Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Secret View Post
    Keith...
    Real Fast Big Blocks are always V-Drives

  4. #3
    Foxwell Motorsports
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N/E Tennessee
    Posts
    12,323

    Default

    Joe's been around a long time. One of the originals. Old school, very knowledgable, very good guy.
    You can find him posting on YB and Speed Talk.
    FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
    STRAUB TECHNOLOGIES
    Performance Cylinder Head Specialties
    Custom Cams
    Complete Engines
    Retail/Wholesale Parts sales




    In the madness of this world, know the Peace of God.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities, TN
    Posts
    1,500

    Default

    He is quite the Character and a very knowledgeable engine builder.
    Chris Straub
    Straub Technologies

    3HP is an A$$ Whooping!!! JW

  6. #5
    Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    He did a couple sets of small block heads for me in the 90's. Great guy to deal with and he knows how to pull power out of a 23 degree headed 406. King of small blocks is what they call him........
    TY for that endorsement QJ...


    I'm reading up on some of his 347 builds AND since he is in the SoCal area I figured that someone here has crossed paths with him...

    I want to lean all I can before I start buying parts for my Aussie Cleveland head 347... For my 65 FB daily driver...

    It's an oddball combo so far as I can see, Aussie 2v Boss 347...

    I scored a pair of good castings for $300 locally...


    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    Joe's been around a long time. One of the originals. Old school, very knowledgable, very good guy.
    You can find him posting on YB and Speed Talk.
    Those are new sites to me, can you give me more info so I get the right place??? What is his screen name on those sites???

    The CLEVEORS that Joh Kasse did in the engine masters were all 351W based builds if memory serves me correctly but it looks like Sherman did some 347 builds with the 2v 351C heads OR aluminum copies of them...
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 10-28-2011 at 11:05 AM.

  7. #6
    The member 1bdhondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    2,913

    Default

    I believe YB would be yellow bullet.com ( its a car site )

  8. #7
    Foxwell Motorsports
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N/E Tennessee
    Posts
    12,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    TY for that endorsement QJ...


    I'm reading up on some of his 347 builds AND since he is in the SoCal area I figured that someone here has crossed paths with him...

    I want to lean all I can before I start buying parts for my Aussie Cleveland head 347... For my 65 FB daily driver...

    It's an oddball combo so far as I can see, Aussie 2v Boss 347...

    I scored a pair of good castings for $300 locally...




    Those are new sites to me, can you give me more info so I get the right place??? What is his screen name on those sites???

    The CLEVEORS that Joh Kasse did in the engine masters were all 351W based builds if memory serves me correctly but it looks like Sherman did some 347 builds with the 2v 351C heads OR aluminum copies of them...
    Yellow Bullet and Speed Talk...Joe goes by the screen name of Big Joe.
    FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
    STRAUB TECHNOLOGIES
    Performance Cylinder Head Specialties
    Custom Cams
    Complete Engines
    Retail/Wholesale Parts sales




    In the madness of this world, know the Peace of God.

  9. #8
    Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,374

    Default

    I did find my pistons today, U.S. forged and finished...

    Flat top w/ 3CC worth of reliefs for cleveland canted valves... 1.090 CH for 5.4" rods and 3.4" stroke... Thats as good as you can do for rod/stroke ratio on a 347... The heads are 62-63CC chambers as cast...

    Steel, was it you that told me the stock exhaust ports sucketh on these 2v Aussie castings???
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 10-28-2011 at 04:58 PM.

  10. #9
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Joe won the first open Popular Hot Rodding's Engine Masters with a SBC. There had been a previous closed EM between Sanchez(Ford) McCandless(MoPar), and Pfaff(Chevy) that the Ford won.

    As Steel may know, Joe was a huge believer in the old Hays Stinger ignitions. And the fact that the I.C.E. ignition is the closest thing to them keeps making me look at them more and more

    In my opinion, Joe made the 383 chevy stroker as popular as it is due to some of his builds.
    But the baddest engine Joe ever screwed together was this one. JMO
    LINK: Sherman 800 HP SBF
    LINK:GN-RACING.COM

    "there are too many pigs for the teats"
    Abraham Lincoln

  11. #10
    "Need For Speed" Gearhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, Texas, United States
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Joe won the first open Popular Hot Rodding's Engine Masters with a SBC. There had been a previous closed EM between Sanchez(Ford) McCandless(MoPar), and Pfaff(Chevy) that the Ford won.

    As Steel may know, Joe was a huge believer in the old Hays Stinger ignitions. And the fact that the I.C.E. ignition is the closest thing to them keeps making me look at them more and more

    In my opinion, Joe made the 383 chevy stroker as popular as it is due to some of his builds.
    But the baddest engine Joe ever screwed together was this one. JMO
    LINK: Sherman 800 HP SBF
    I believe Joe worked with Edelbrock back in the '70's. He did some really cool stuff one time to see how quick he could make a Chevelle run with minimal power. As has been said, he has been around a while and he is sharp I've never heard anything bad on him.
    Gear

  12. #11
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    I believe Joe worked with Edelbrock back in the '70's. He did some really cool stuff one time to see how quick he could make a Chevelle run with minimal power. As has been said, he has been around a while and he is sharp I've never heard anything bad on him.
    Gear
    X alot!!! Joe knows what he is doing and back in the 70's I got my ass handed to me a few times by motors he built. At that time he worked alot with NOS and made motors live using it. FWIW He did work alot with Vic and designed alot of GOOD stuff. M

  13. #12
    Senior Member stoker2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Folsom,Ca
    Posts
    1,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Joe won the first open Popular Hot Rodding's Engine Masters with a SBC. There had been a previous closed EM between Sanchez(Ford) McCandless(MoPar), and Pfaff(Chevy) that the Ford won.

    As Steel may know, Joe was a huge believer in the old Hays Stinger ignitions. And the fact that the I.C.E. ignition is the closest thing to them keeps making me look at them more and more

    In my opinion, Joe made the 383 chevy stroker as popular as it is due to some of his builds.
    But the baddest engine Joe ever screwed together was this one. JMO
    LINK: Sherman 800 HP SBF
    Jumpin on the 8.2 block bandwagon are you..
    funny how Shermans bread and butter is now with SBFs these days
    Last edited by stoker2001; 10-28-2011 at 09:34 PM.
    Whacker Smacker M/E #561 IHBA "first looser"champ 2006&2007&Sportsman Driver of the Year

  14. #13
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Like he said, its going in a 65 FB. What else would he built. A Boss 9 or a Medium Riser? Its bad enough he is using those heads. God only knows why. But he will probably have to grease the shock towers to get it in, and the headers will will be a choke right at the port, but then what do I know.
    Last edited by gn7; 10-28-2011 at 09:50 PM.
    LINK:GN-RACING.COM

    "there are too many pigs for the teats"
    Abraham Lincoln

  15. #14
    Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Like he said, its going in a 65 FB. What else would he built. A Boss 9 or a Medium Riser? Its bad enough he is using those heads. God only knows why. But he will probably have to grease the shock towers to get it in, and the headers will will be a choke right at the port, but then what do I know.
    God AND me and several other folks know why...

    I look at it as what FORD should have done with the BOSS 302 in 1969....

    As for fitting the shock towers, it will go in this one with ease... Don't forget that I said it's a driver, not a pro stocker with 2 1/2 primary tubes... I may even build a set of TRI-Y's...

    This isn't my sauturn gold 66 fastback 63B A code GT car, its my beater 65 fastback 63B vintage burgundy car that had rear quarters put on all whacky... It will probably end up wearing hotrod black...

    As far as a choke right at the port, well, it's a small block ford so that goes without saying...
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 10-28-2011 at 11:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92