Lavey Craft 24 nuera re-power??
Gary, I am looking to repower or step up my 2000 lavey 24 nuera, 454 mag, bravo one set up.. I contacted lavey about this and it is way ridiculous $$$ for stock power. They quoted $26,000 for a stock 496 ho / drive package. Jeff over at Lavey told me to look at aftermarket power so here I am. I am aware this all cost big dough, just alittle much for stock power repower. I'm not looking to set the world on fire just pep it up a little or alot who am I kidding. The 454 mag has 160 hrs on it and lacks the low end power currently it is running a 24 p bravo 1 @ 65 mph. I think I would like to step it up 10-15 mph with some more grunt let me knowwhat my options are..Thanks, Ryan... 805-235-4107 cell anytime
A 454 mag is no slouch motor. If I remember right, they made about 385hp.
This is honestly where your issues regarding this upgrade are:
1. Your motor by itself might pull $5000 on a good day, and maybe $1500 for your Bravo drive if it's nice. How does the gimbal look? Does it need to be replaced? Lets assume it does. Its worth $1000 tops(now you have $7500).
2. So you have $7500 and a boat that needs a motor package. At first, it seems pretty straight forward, but it's not. You will need external steering(assuming you do not have it), and maybe a new steering cable(if your steering is loose now). So there is $3000 delivered to your door for the steering kit(approx). Now you have $4500 left. Does your boat have trim tabs? Will it need them? If so, more $$$$, but lets say it doesnt. You now have to pick a motor package that will get you to your goal. A 496 HO isnt going to do it. 500hp might, and a 525 definately will, but remember, if you buy a 496 package new, they are $25K+ with an XR drive, and an HP 525 is probably closer to $37K+, and now you need to pay someone to do all of this work, which will EASILY be $5K+. My point is, you will hit $40K so fast it will make your head spin(trust me). Granted, there are cheap ways to do things, but I personally would not suggest going that route.
3. If it was me, I would shop for a good used HP500 efi(or 525), a gimbal, and an XR drive for under $20K for all and I would have a reputable company install it for you. Just don't buy any of that junk that is for sale out there(there is plenty to watch out for)............Thats what I would do First.
4. I do offer a motor that I do not talk about much(its kinda boring to build), but its reliable and runs very well: TPI525efi. They are $22500 for the motor only. Just FYI...............
Other than buying a used package, I just don't see any way to do it in a "less expensive manner", unless you buy a carburated motor or.................................Hey, We could Whipplecharge the motor you have?
Last edited by TPI; 05-17-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Gary first off thanks for the quick reply and all the info...I'm not really looking for the cheap way out, in speaking w/ lavey craft they discouraged me to spend all thet cash 26000.00 for stock power..I am also aware of the external stering and trim tab issues. whats your feeling on the whipple charger option, good idea/ bad idea?
1) Will the drive hold up? or do we need to replace it?
2) your TPI525 option, what drive will I need?..
3) what completion parts are needed for the TPI 525
3) whats your opinon on the hull I have in respect to my plans? I know its not a Bullet but its what I have. I looked at the 25 bullet you just bought back and just couldnt do it in this market..I was afraid of sitting on my lavey and I already have two boats to store & just couldn't hide a third
IF the Whipplecharger is installed correctly. Its a good idea. I would run an XR drive with A Whipple 454 or a TPI525efi. Completion parts for the 525 would just be exhaust tails. It comes with everything you need. Its a good hull and definately a well built one. I would shoot for 75 mph as a good top end speed number and enjoy it, no need to push it harder. Or hey, sell all your stuff and give me $65K for this 25 Bullet I have and I will put a 496HO in it for you(all for $65K). It already has full hydraulic steering plus whole lot more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and it will run 72-74 mph easily. Just a thought?
Originally Posted by Xtreme 1
Last edited by TPI; 05-18-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Great advice here Gary! Always love to read your stuff as it helps bring me back down to reality.
Xtreme 1 -
Our 24' Nu Era with an HP500 (carbed) will run 75 mph all day long with a normal load and conditions. Has seen a best of 82 mph with a VERY light load and no passengers in perfect conditions. The boat has tabs and handles the speed well. This should help give you an idea of what kind of power you might need to see the speeds you are interested in.
TPI / Gary -
Do you do re-builds as well? If so I will look to you when our HP500 needs to come out for a refresh and more power .
Tags for this Thread