Dry exhaust
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 16

Thread:
Dry exhaust

  1. #1
    Senior Member 2savage4you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bullhead city AZ
    Posts
    1,417

    Default Dry exhaust

    This has probably been posted already but here we go again.....

    I have been hearing alot of talk about people running there headers dry. Is that legal , cause if so i would do it to..
    Fill me in on the blanks here.......... cause im really interested

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member H20MOFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,206

    Default

    It's only illegal it you get caught, or so I'm told... If I remember right in utah(not sure about where you all are) it just states a db limit nothing about wet or dry.
    Another Hot Boat refugee

  4. #3
    Senior Member 2savage4you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bullhead city AZ
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    In order to run dry headers i would think you would need to jet hot them and keep them looking good..

    I think i should call the fish and game and see what they say, cause if i dont need them.... less hose and fittings to worry about


  5. #4
    Senior Member VAMI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    srq,florida
    Posts
    280

    Default

    I always run them dry,mine are coated from rewarder and have no color change in 2 years of running.Depends on the state,your game warden should know.Run the baffles only and you should be fine.

  6. #5
    About 500' AGL MudPumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Santa Clarita
    Posts
    2,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 468Bahner View Post
    In order to run dry headers i would think you would need to jet hot them and keep them looking good..

    I think i should call the fish and game and see what they say, cause if i dont need them.... less hose and fittings to worry about


    If you are boating around Bullhead you might get hassled if you run the upper part of the river. Wet or dry does not matter, its sound level. Running water quiets them down.

  7. #6
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Question

    Is there any performance loss associated with running water through the headers? I know that performance engines run dry exhaust because of the big cams. But on a regular engine, would there be any advantage to running dry exhaust over wet exhaust?

    Thanks.
    HJ

    ***FOR SALE*** 1978 19' Full Stringer Hawaiian Molokai Jet Boat w/ Berkeley 12JC-AB and Chevy 440 Tall Deck ***FOR SALE***

    Quote Originally Posted by mako shark mark View Post
    Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that the hull is a special mixture of speedcote, herculiner and rain-x, all blended together- good for another 8 mph top end.

  8. #7
    Senior Member LuckyDaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tacoma Wa
    Posts
    1,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianJet View Post
    Is there any performance loss associated with running water through the headers? I know that performance engines run dry exhaust because of the big cams. But on a regular engine, would there be any advantage to running dry exhaust over wet exhaust?

    Thanks.
    Water takes up room in the exhaust. Taking up room for exhaust to escape makes the tube smaller effectively, so, yes water can hinder performance. Are you gonna notice the difference in your average boat? I doubt it.

    ~Brian

  9. #8
    Crazy Eights Brad @ SCJB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    steve, ive always run mine dry even through the channel in havasu and didnt get sweated.....even passed by rangers..... i did of course have baffles in though.

    even with the baffles in, my ears would be ringing when i laid down to go to sleep that night.

  10. #9
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,438

    Default

    huh??? what did ya say?????????

    i don't run baffles or inject but when i do run baffles, it sounds as if it'd pass a db test, not that it'll ever have too though here
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  11. #10
    Senior Member LuckyDaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tacoma Wa
    Posts
    1,407

    Default

    If your ears are ringing at the end of the day it would deff. not pass Db test.

    ~Brian

  12. #11
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDaze View Post
    Water takes up room in the exhaust. Taking up room for exhaust to escape makes the tube smaller effectively, so, yes water can hinder performance. Are you gonna notice the difference in your average boat? I doubt it.

    ~Brian
    Thanks Brian. That's what I was thinking, but I just wasn't sure. And I just wanted to add a little info to the thread.


    And help my post count. (I just realized I'm over 2 grand) I need to slow way down.

    HJ

    ***FOR SALE*** 1978 19' Full Stringer Hawaiian Molokai Jet Boat w/ Berkeley 12JC-AB and Chevy 440 Tall Deck ***FOR SALE***

    Quote Originally Posted by mako shark mark View Post
    Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that the hull is a special mixture of speedcote, herculiner and rain-x, all blended together- good for another 8 mph top end.

  13. #12
    ... Some Kind Of Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    2,056

    Default

    I run mine dry but I have the lines hooked up so that I can show the ranger that I am making an "Effort" to quiet the boat down if I do ever get hassled.

  14. #13
    Senior Member 2savage4you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bullhead city AZ
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Some Kind Of Monster View Post
    I run mine dry but I have the lines hooked up so that I can show the ranger that I am making an "Effort" to quiet the boat down if I do ever get hassled.

    Was thinking the same thing , a little props huh

    Now everyone who runs em dry , do they have a coating like Embee or Jet hot on them ? I plan on having mine done with Jet hot since it is closer to me than Embee is.


  15. #14
    Crazy Eights Brad @ SCJB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 468Bahner View Post
    Was thinking the same thing , a little props huh

    Now everyone who runs em dry , do they have a coating like Embee or Jet hot on them ? I plan on having mine done with Jet hot since it is closer to me than Embee is.

    mine are ceramic coated satin black by embee....only problem i have is keeping the plastic plug wire holders from melting cuz without water, the headers get REALLY hot... I love the wire holders i have, but its a shame they are plastic



    even though , i got like 4-6 inches of header clearance off the transom, im still getting some discoloration in the paint.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91