Slick50, Dura Lube? any luck with these?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 56

Thread:
Slick50, Dura Lube? any luck with these?

  1. #1
    Senior Member sleekcraft137's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Star, ID
    Posts
    506

    Default Slick50, Dura Lube? any luck with these?

    Dura lube is $15 bucks at walmart with a $10 rebate. Think its worth it? anybody have any luck with these engine treatments?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    tintingsandiego krusn56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sleekcraft137 View Post
    Dura lube is $15 bucks at walmart with a $10 rebate. Think its worth it? anybody have any luck with these engine treatments?
    I use 9 qts val 20/50 racing with 1 qt lucas.
    Made In The Shade

    Custom Window Tinting

  4. #3
    Screamin SeaMonkees Schi-502's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Vacaville, California
    Posts
    1,663

    Default

    ZZ502 in a jet daycruiser. 5200 rpm/63 mph. 9qts 15/40 & 1 qt Lucas'.
    Change oil about every 50 hrs.
    Loose, the Dogs of War!

  5. #4
    Senior Member sleekcraft137's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Star, ID
    Posts
    506

    Default

    so I take it that the lucas product is worth it then huh?

  6. #5
    Senior Member EVILFORCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,148

    Default

    I received a email the other day about additives from Amsoil. I will need to find it. Most but not all are safe to use. Seems they give off a Sulfuric acid or something. I will look for it. Seems like Lucas was one of the ones that did. Now flame away till I cum back now.
    No Fool Like A Old Fool is there?

  7. #6
    Senior Member jet460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    648

    Default

    I've used Slick 50, Prolong, Motor-up, Duralube, Sea Foam, and probably a few others.

    ALL snake oil IMO.

    Prolong and Duralube are essentially glorified paraffin wax.
    I poured some Prolong into a BBC a while back, and within a week, the cam lobes disintegrated because the lifters stopped turning.

    If those products did anything at all, manufacturers would require them.

    In fact, the only motors I HAVE had problems with, were ones that had that crap in them.

    I put Mobil 1 in everything I have with a motor in it.

    Zero problems.

    Oh, and the AmsOil lie about a 20,000 mile oil change makes me laugh.....gimme a break.
    Last edited by jet460; 05-17-2010 at 09:42 PM.

  8. #7
    Senior Member sleekcraft137's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Star, ID
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jet460 View Post
    I've used Slick 50, Prolong, Motor-up, Duralube, Sea Foam, and probably a few others.

    ALL snake oil IMO.

    Prolong and Duralube are essentially glorified paraffin wax.
    I poured some Prolong into a BBC a while back, and within a week, the cam lobes disintegrated because the lifters stopped turning.

    If those products did anything at all, manufacturers would require them.

    In fact, the only motors I HAVE had problems with, were ones that had that crap in them.

    I put Mobil 1 in everything I have with a motor in it.

    Zero problems.

    Oh, and the AmsOil lie about a 20,000 mile oil change makes me laugh.....gimme a break.
    yeah right 20k......lol, but you need to change your filter 5 times!

  9. #8
    Senior Member jet460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    648

    Default

    For what it's worth, 2 friends of mine have Olds 455 jets.
    They use Rotella exclusively, and have for years.
    15 years with no problems at all in both boats.

    I change my oil every 2 trips to the lake.
    Best insurance I can think of....

  10. #9
    Senior Member sleekcraft137's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Star, ID
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jet460 View Post
    For what it's worth, 2 friends of mine have Olds 455 jets.
    They use Rotella exclusively, and have for years.
    15 years with no problems at all in both boats.

    I change my oil every 2 trips to the lake.
    Best insurance I can think of....
    coolness, i just bought this boat last week and want to keep this motor strong. It only has 8 hrs on the rebuild. I did a compression test last night and it came out GREAT! 175 on the high and 170 on the low. everything else was right in between

  11. #10
    Senior Member jet460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    648

    Default

    If you are like me, and running a fairly mild engine and pump gas, you might try a bottle of double strength 104 octane boost. The stuff you get at Kragen, etc.

    1 bottle to 30 gallons of 91 pump gas changed the entire sound of my engine(460), and made it run a LOT better.
    The only shelf additive that I have noticed a difference with.

  12. #11
    Senior Member sleekcraft137's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Star, ID
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jet460 View Post
    If you are like me, and running a fairly mild engine and pump gas, you might try a bottle of double strength 104 octane boost. The stuff you get at Kragen, etc.

    1 bottle to 30 gallons of 91 pump gas changed the entire sound of my engine(460), and made it run a LOT better.
    The only shelf additive that I have noticed a difference with.
    up here in Boise you can get 93 octane at a few stations and 94 in a couple others. But i'll give the 104 a try

  13. #12
    Senior Member jet460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    648

    Default

    Nice. In Cal we get winterized coyote pee.

  14. #13
    Senior Member sleekcraft137's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Star, ID
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jet460 View Post
    Nice. In Cal we get winterized coyote apee.
    and a butt load of traffic! i grew up in OC....NO THANKS! id never move back!

  15. #14
    Senior Member cyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jet460 View Post
    If you are like me, and running a fairly mild engine and pump gas, you might try a bottle of double strength 104 octane boost. The stuff you get at Kragen, etc.

    1 bottle to 30 gallons of 91 pump gas changed the entire sound of my engine(460), and made it run a LOT better.
    The only shelf additive that I have noticed a difference with.
    octane booster changed the way your engine sounded?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90