Help ID my Hull
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread:
Help ID my Hull

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bellflower, Ca
    Posts
    21

    Default Help ID my Hull

    Ok guys I got a new vessel. The paperwork doesn't say what make the boat is. Its a 18ft jetboat full stringer. I tried punching in the hull id number but nothing comes up...any help will be appreciated.

    ID# 23618J571

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member hydroman916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    sacramento
    Posts
    1,427

    Default

    we need the first 3 letters, the last 2 numbers are the year
    get blown or get blown away

  4. #3
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bellflower, Ca
    Posts
    21

    Default

    There is no first 3 letters. That's all there is under the hull ID...the only other thing I fot is this...JRSFBRGL which is right under the Make on the paperwork.

  5. #4
    Senior Member 65 Sanger 440's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In the desert high on a hill!
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    A few pics might be of help.

  6. #5
    Senior Member hydroman916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    sacramento
    Posts
    1,427

    Default

    its either a splash or the original paperwork was lost and it was registered under that name
    get blown or get blown away

  7. #6
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,850

    Default

    Jersey Marine Industries
    LINK:GN-RACING.COM

    "there are too many pigs for the teats"
    Abraham Lincoln

  8. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bellflower, Ca
    Posts
    21

    Default

    I'm picking up the boat on Saturday....I'll post some pics.

    Jersey Marine Industries???

  9. #8

  10. #9
    JetBoat Marine Parts&Svc jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Generallee View Post
    Ok guys I got a new vessel. The paperwork doesn't say what make the boat is. Its a 18ft jetboat full stringer. I tried punching in the hull id number but nothing comes up...any help will be appreciated.

    ID# 23618J571
    Got a hunch that you'll find the numbers (and letters) on the paper work possibly relate to some states DMV numbering system and not to the original HIN , if the number isn't inlaid on the right rear of the transom odds are its been re-registered and assigned new ##'s , in Cali for example a boat or trailer thats off the roles for a period of time or has no provative paper work it becomes SPCN (special construction) or.... the title get changed for other reasons ??? had a Hallet flat sometime back that said Zodiac on the title Pictures will tell the story the guys here are pretty good about Id'ing these boat from a "visual" Tom

  11. #10
    Senior Member Oldsquirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Got a hunch that you'll find the numbers (and letters) on the paper work possibly relate to some states DMV numbering system and not to the original HIN , if the number isn't inlaid on the right rear of the transom odds are its been re-registered and assigned new ##'s , in Cali for example a boat or trailer thats off the roles for a period of time or has no provative paper work it becomes SPCN (special construction) or.... the title get changed for other reasons ???Tom
    Tom, if this were the case the number would be preceeded by the two letter state id followed by a "Z". For example, California issued HIN would start with "CFZ", Arizona would be "AZZ", Nevada "NVZ", etc. In addition, the make/builder/manufacturer would be identified as "California homebuilt", Arizona homebuilt, Nevada homebuilt, etc. It would not likely have the abbreviation of a company name(JRSFBRGL). Since the last two digits are "71", I would hazard a guess that that is the original number and it was built in 1971. Since the HIN ID system didn't come into full effect until, I believe, 1973, it may just be that the mfr did not include his ID in the number.
    Last edited by Oldsquirt; 09-06-2010 at 10:33 AM.

  12. #11
    Seriously off center slowride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anaheim/BHC- the Shack
    Posts
    2,278

    Default

    Looks to be a '71 so the manufacturer wasn't required to place the HIN on the hull. DMV paperwork is about as useless as it gets so I would look for something inside the hull..... capacity plate, rigger's markings, etc.

  13. #12
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bellflower, Ca
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Thx for all the info guys. I guess I'll post some pics asap. The dmv paperwork is all legit and good to go, title/registration etc so I don't think I'll have a problem with that. I'll have the guys on here identify my boat as close as possible and on the dmv paperwork it does say 1971...

  14. #13
    Cas
    Cas is offline
    Angry American Cas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsquirt View Post
    Tom, if this were the case the number would be preceeded by the two letter state id followed by a "Z". For example, California issued HIN would start with "CFZ", Arizona would be "AZZ", Nevada "NVZ", etc. In addition, the make/builder/manufacturer would be identified as "California homebuilt", Arizona homebuilt, Nevada homebuilt, etc. It would not likely have the abbreviation of a company name(JRSFBRGL). Since the last two digits are "71", I would hazard a guess that that is the original number and it was built in 1971. Since the HIN ID system didn't come into full effect until, I believe, 1973, it may just be that the mfr did not include his ID in the number.
    Craig,
    If you're referring to the SPCN, that white 19' Tahiti I bought in 2001 or 02 had that designation as the Builder on the registration and on the pink slip. The boat did not have an HIN on the transom due to hull work and repaint. The boat was repossessed in 1998 but hadn't been registered since 1992 so it was out of the CA DMV system. The person at DMV said it would be a whole lot less expensive and a whole lot faster to just register it as Special Construction even though I had some original info on it.
    I also had a Toyota pick-up bed trailer that had the same designation since it truly was a custom built deal.
    I don't know if the laws have changed since that whole Boyd Coddington fraud stuff a few years ago though
    Last edited by Cas; 09-06-2010 at 01:43 PM.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Oldsquirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    Craig,
    If you're referring to the SPCN, that white 19' Tahiti I bought in 2001 or 02 had that designation as the Builder on the registration and on the pink slip. The boat did not have an HIN on the transom due to hull work and repaint. The boat was repossessed in 1998 but hadn't been registered since 1992 so it was out of the CA DMV system. The person at DMV said it would be a whole lot less expensive and a whole lot faster to just register it as Special Construction even though I had some original info on it.
    The OP of this thread stated that the MFR identified on title was "JRSFBGRL"
    not "SPCN". Had it been state issued, the ID# would have started with "CFZ"(for CA).
    That Tahiti story sounds like a classic case of lazy DMV clerk, previous owner and repair person all contributing to a paperwork/title mess.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    I also had a Toyota pick-up bed trailer that had the same designation since it truly was a custom built deal.
    That would be a correct use of SPCN as it applies to road vehicles.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    I don't know if the laws have changed since that whole Boyd Coddington fraud stuff a few years ago though
    If I recall, Coddington(as well as other custom builders) were using out-of-state "title companies" to provide "original"(possibly bogus) titles primarily to skirt emissions regulations. This is not a new practice. A buddy of mine had a T-bucket kit car back in the 80's(we were pretty sure it was a "Bird" brand from the late 60's-early 70's) that was titled as a 1929 Ford sedan. Not sure why the builder bothered as there were no difficulties in registeriing kit cars back then.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91