1977 Pioneer jet? Good vs Bad
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 26

Thread:
1977 Pioneer jet? Good vs Bad

  1. #1
    "It's HONDO, honey" Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    AZ, Queen Creek
    Posts
    1,724

    Default 1977 Pioneer jet? Good vs Bad

    Simply put my new befriended neighbor has a 1977 pioneer jet boat, ichy to sell, with a berekly jet and a 454 in it and interior and gel coat is solid. I quite frankly don't know much about these boats if any and was wondering what kind of speed potential this boat has and any other advise or history would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    pics??

  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, CA.
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Tom at Jet Boat Performance knows the people that started Pioneer. You should call or PM him.

  5. #4
    JetBoat Marine Parts&Svc jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,239

    Default

    This is some info I posted for Rod re Pioneers on Socaljetboats.com a while back ...
    RE Rods project
    I cooresponded with Rod this week and thought I'd impart this Info " Rhonda and I bought our first Jet in 78' week quickly became friends with the local Hot boat crowd which included Steve Hall of Pioneer boats . Pioneer was located about 100 yards from where JBP is now in Atascadero if fact the paint, striping ,lettering and interior work were done by a guy who once occupied one of my upper shops . Steve built nice looking high quality 18's, 18 Sprint set backs ,19's and 20' jets (Very similar designs to the some Southwinds and Eliminators of those days, a few IOs and in the "Oil Embargo gas crunch years" some 12 footers with Tihatso (sp)O/B's. Pioneer built a few "Rag hull" jets in the late 70's that ran very well ,one belonged to my B/F Greg Stark called "Squirtin for certin" and was CJ record holder for a time .Pioneer (in Atascadero) went out of business in the mid eighties . The Pioneer molds and name were sold to a guy in nor cal who continued to build boats for a few more years. To the best of my Knowledge he never built a tunnel as Pioneer (Hall did work for a couple other socal builders however)

    Then theres this too :
    Here's a pic from an Old friend (Jay) that I haven't heard heard from in a long time ,he called me to "oft" a 16' Tahiti hull and when we got to talkin he went diggin for some Old Pics This is the Pioneer Drag Boat (circa 1978,back bay) 78' Comp Jet record holder I belive at 105 mph (or there abouts) The folks in the boat are my Buddies Tim & Jay, engine builder and crew chief and Steve and Kim Hall (owners of Pioneer boats) Tom
    Last edited by jetboatperformance; 04-29-2008 at 06:25 PM.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Camoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    AREA 51
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Simply put my new befriended neighbor has a 1977 pioneer jet boat, ichy to sell, with a berekly jet and a 454 in it and interior and gel coat is solid. I quite frankly don't know much about these boats if any and was wondering what kind of speed potential this boat has and any other advise or history would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
    A friend runs one i think its a 19ft seams to be a solid boat runs mid to upper 90s with a 514 Ford
    There's doing it easy,or there's doing it better

  7. #6
    JetBoat Marine Parts&Svc jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Camoman View Post
    A friend runs one i think its a 19ft seams to be a solid boat runs mid to upper 90s with a 514 Ford
    Pioneers even had some similarities to your Apache Boat too John (this was yours before paint) Tom

  8. #7
    Senior Member Camoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    AREA 51
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Pioneers even had some similarities to your Apache Boat too John (this was yours before paint) Tom
    That's a dam nice pic Tom
    There's doing it easy,or there's doing it better

  9. #8
    Senior Member Camoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    AREA 51
    Posts
    178

    Default

    There's doing it easy,or there's doing it better

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    550

    Default

    I grew up boating on in a Pioneer named the BlueNun. I would pay top dollar to own it. Very stable,great lines.....Man I miss that boat

  11. #10
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Simply put my new befriended neighbor has a 1977 pioneer jet boat, ichy to sell, with a berekly jet and a 454 in it and interior and gel coat is solid. I quite frankly don't know much about these boats if any and was wondering what kind of speed potential this boat has and any other advise or history would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
    It's a southwind splash treat as such. Same bottom with cosmetic changes, fairly lite and aliitle hook in the bottom. loosenen it up, make it tight and alittle motor and bingo. M

  12. #11
    Senior Member PCE680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manhattan Beach,CA / LHC,AZ
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    This is some info I posted for Rod re Pioneers on Socaljetboats.com a while back ...
    RE Rods project
    I cooresponded with Rod this week and thought I'd impart this Info " Rhonda and I bought our first Jet in 78' week quickly became friends with the local Hot boat crowd which included Steve Hall of Pioneer boats . Pioneer was located about 100 yards from where JBP is now in Atascadero if fact the paint, striping ,lettering and interior work were done by a guy who once occupied one of my upper shops . Steve built nice looking high quality 18's, 18 Sprint set backs ,19's and 20' jets (Very similar designs to the some Southwinds and Eliminators of those days, a few IOs and in the "Oil Embargo gas crunch years" some 12 footers with Tihatso (sp)O/B's. Pioneer built a few "Rag hull" jets in the late 70's that ran very well ,one belonged to my B/F Greg Stark called "Squirtin for certin" and was CJ record holder for a time .Pioneer (in Atascadero) went out of business in the mid eighties . The Pioneer molds and name were sold to a guy in nor cal who continued to build boats for a few more years. To the best of my Knowledge he never built a tunnel as Pioneer (Hall did work for a couple other socal builders however)

    Then theres this too :
    Here's a pic from an Old friend (Jay) that I haven't heard heard from in a long time ,he called me to "oft" a 16' Tahiti hull and when we got to talkin he went diggin for some Old Pics This is the Pioneer Drag Boat (circa 1978,back bay) 78' Comp Jet record holder I belive at 105 mph (or there abouts) The folks in the boat are my Buddies Tim & Jay, engine builder and crew chief and Steve and Kim Hall (owners of Pioneer boats) Tom
    That looks like "Country Cookin" Comp Jet.I raced that boat at the first NDBA race at Firebird in 1978.Greg Shoemaker held the record at 102 mph at the time.We set the new record at 108.28 at the NDBA Nationals in Oct of 1978.
    Ron Pitts ,Sunday Showdown

  13. #12
    Senior Member Mcintyrelocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norco, CA
    Posts
    957

    Default

    A friend of mine had a pioneer and it was very solid and ran very well, high 70's with a mild 454.

  14. #13
    "It's HONDO, honey" Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    AZ, Queen Creek
    Posts
    1,724

    Default

    I get some pics up for you guys it is very well a nice boat all it really needs is cleaning. its got a mild meaning "mild" not race 454 but looks good. I don't believe the pump is set back like JBP was saying but definalty a candidate to do to if it could honest push high eighty's if not ninety's. Its got a low look to it too. What do you guys think it would be worth? sorry got to post the pics tomorrow .

  15. #14
    JetBoat Marine Parts&Svc jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,239

    Default Pioneer

    Kyle the Pioneer "outlaws" or "sprints" were set back similar to SWTDs with a Molded Pod off the transom ,If memory serves the deck was longer than the Base 18'. I had a Black Set back Outlaw for a while ,Great Boat !

    PCE that is Country Cookin Not sure if Niel Kline was the "pilot" then or not ,100 + Squirts ,not bad for 70's Technology
    Last edited by jetboatperformance; 04-30-2008 at 08:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92