Admittedly, not PERFORMANCE egg beater here or anything, but I could use a lil' help if available...
I thought I was looking to replace the throttle cable on my pontoon's 2003 75 horse Merc 2 stroke outboard. It took a lot of effort to shift and move the throttle. WAY too much effort. It ran and shifted fine, just hard to push the control lever. Both in neutral and in both gears. Figured that the throttle cable was bound up and/or dragging. I unhooked the ends of each cable from the motor. Still hard to push the lever. Pulled the control off the dash/console. Unhooked those ends and shifter movement was far easier, like what I would have expected. Again, still thinking it was the cables causing tough throttle and shifting. Cut a few zip ties and pulled the cables off. Once off, the cables are as free moving and easy to manipulate as I could ask for for. Fingertips is all it takes to slide either cable. The new cables aren't real expensive (only like $25 each I see online-20 foot Telex CC17920) but once I saw how free these were, I did not think there would be any difference. Shot some WD40 into the sheaves and blasted it through with compressed air. Just for good measure since I went through all the work of taking them off the boat. The throttle linkage/assembly on the motor takes next to nothing to move. One pinky finger tip moves it easily. The shifter mechanism takes some but not terrible. I can slide the "lever" on the motor fore and aft by hand. Keep in mind the motor is not running. Not sure how much effort the shifter should take while motor is off. A couple times I spun the prop just and it just seemed to make things fall into place a little easier.
Also-hopefully a side note is all-no lube in the lower unit currently. Drained it before winter just in case it had any wayer mixed in it and have yet to refil. I have about 3/4 of a quart of Quick Silver lube, but I have been thinking I should probably get Premium stuff and do not know what the capacity is, could use some info there too
But ... once I saw how free the cables were I put them back in. Everything hooked back up and worse then ever I do not see what I would consider sharp or tight bends at all and am wondering why?? Anyone seen similar before?? If the shift cable is out of adjustment will it make this?? My son was playing with the threaded mounts and may not have those perfect. I am trying to Google procedures for adjusting each, but appreciate any tips, tricks, links that might make this easier
THANKS ahead of time.
I've had similar problems with my OMC controls on my pontoon. The Service manager at the marina said its the angle of the cables were they go from the pontoon to the motor. Even though it isn't a very sharp angle he said as they age and the motor is tilted up and down they get that way.
Plus the neutral lockout button sticks, and after I warm the motor up I can't always get it to pop up. I've taken it apart, once at the gas pumps when I couldn't get it go into gear, and was stuck there. After lubing it with white grease, and not getting any better I trim one side of the rubber piece that covers it, and that seemed to help.
I did try and play with that situation a little bit too.
I try to get them aligned as best as I could.
As I was tightening the nuts that hold them on it seemed like there was a little bit of a "side load" on the screws...
Hopefully I will have it in the water soon and see how all the "fing" around with it does.