Type of Paint?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 31

Thread:
Type of Paint?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default Type of Paint?

    Need help with type of paint for a 72 Kona sanded most of gel coat off ready for paint?
    Replaced all of the wood, can I just paint or do I need to re gel coat first? Rog.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member inthecurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    So.Or
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Personally I would Epoxy prime entire boat ( that you want painted ). The epoxy will act as a sealer for the new paint to adhere to and no issues of any old paint coming thru, etc.. I would then put a primer on the epoxy and sand to 600 grit, then use a good base/ clear urethane if your doing any metallics or any art work, etc.... If just a standard base color you could get away with a single stage paint and only sad primer to 400.
    No need to re- gel. The epoxy primer will act as a great foundation for any paint system you choose.
    good luck.
    Last edited by inthecurl; 01-12-2013 at 07:56 AM.

  4. #3
    Senior Member johnf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    380

    Default

    [QUOTE=inthecurl;1792434]Personally I would Epoxy prime entire boat ( that you want painted )..( I would then put a primer on the epoxy and sand to 600 grit.)

    Please advise, Prime boat, Then prime the primer?? Maybe I'm reading this wrong? I was going to use Durotech 714-002 white then paint am I skipping a step? Thanks johnf.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member OFFSHORE GINGER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Mich
    Posts
    1,568

    Default

    [QUOTE=johnf;1792746]
    Quote Originally Posted by inthecurl View Post
    Personally I would Epoxy prime entire boat ( that you want painted )..( I would then put a primer on the epoxy and sand to 600 grit.)

    Please advise, Prime boat, Then prime the primer?? Maybe I'm reading this wrong? I was going to use Durotech 714-002 white then paint am I skipping a step? Thanks johnf.
    John , let's take a step back the Duratec white 714-002 is a high build primer and has been used in the industry for many years on boat's built using Epoxy or repairs using Epoxy , Poly , or Vinyl ,and if you want to take into consideration what was just posted above ........so be it , and if you are going to use the Duratec Primer like mentioned in your last post ............you have no concerns at all ~ because the primer you are thinking of using ( duratec ) most likely will offer the most bang for the buck , and if i was you....... i really would re- consider , prepping everything in # 600 grit for paint ~ which is only a suggestion , considering i normally go with something that is more abrasive .
    Last edited by OFFSHORE GINGER; 01-13-2013 at 08:33 AM.

  7. #5
    Half a bubble off jrork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington
    Posts
    2,467

    Default

    Let me jump in here and offer what little I know.

    The first primer that inthecurl mentioned is used as a sealer. For example, PPG's DPLF 50 which is an epoxy primer can be a great sealer if you add some reducer (per the instructions). This will, as inthecurl mentioned, seal off the boat and what paint may still be there.
    Then you can add a primer surfacer or fillers on top of that. A primer surfacer goes on very thick and sands easily so you can block it out really nicely and get the hull real smooth.

    Reading Arties post, it sounds like Duratech would eliminate the need for the sealer and it's a primer surfacer. I've personally never seen nor used it so I'll defer to Artie on what he thinks of it and how it's applied.

    Good luck............john
    Last edited by jrork; 01-13-2013 at 08:48 AM.

  8. #6
    Half a bubble off jrork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington
    Posts
    2,467

    Default

    [QUOTE=OFFSHORE GINGER;1793514]
    Quote Originally Posted by johnf View Post
    the Duratec white 714-002 is a high build primer and has been used in the industry for many years on boat's built using Epoxy or repairs using Epoxy , Poly , or Vinyl
    Artie, is this Duratec 714-002 something that can be applied over a repair done in epoxy AND can be topcoated with Gelcoat?

  9. #7
    Senior Member johnf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    380

    Default

    [QUOTE=jrork;1795850]
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE GINGER View Post

    Artie, is this Duratec 714-002 something that can be applied over a repair done in epoxy AND can be topcoated with Gelcoat?
    Thank you, jrork. Ok put a (sealer primer) Then a (surfacer primer) Then paint. Now I understand what he was saying! I spoke with Jim at Express And he said once the 714 is put on and prepped it is ready for Gelcoat or paint. He knows about Gel-flowcoat but couldn't advise on what paint. thanks johnf.

  10. #8
    Senior Member OFFSHORE GINGER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Mich
    Posts
    1,568

    Default

    [QUOTE=jrork;1795850]
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE GINGER View Post

    Artie, is this Duratec 714-002 something that can be applied over a repair done in epoxy AND can be topcoated with Gelcoat?
    John , the Duratec is a primer that i used at Skater for all Epoxy built boat's custom or otherwise , and yes one of the main reasons we started using this primer is because you can spray it on epoxy , sand /prep and then spray Gel (or your topcoat ) without all the X-tra work involved which once again is also a high build primer ( which can be sprayed up to 50 mill's wet on wet ) that costs less then just about any other primers on the market Express Composites' line of Duratec Products which also comes in Black , Grey , or white , 714-002 and might i mention that if you check out there site the price of the primer has just gone up for the first time in two year's ( $72.41 a gallon ) who still offers the best price that you will find anywhere for this product . Just a quick mention ...............when using Duratec there is no need for a special Catalyst / Activator , or reducer , other then Acetone ,and ( MEK) or Catalyst . which is sprayed ,and the bigger the tip the better . John , by the way Hawkeye Industries / Duratec is located in Tacoma Wa .
    Last edited by OFFSHORE GINGER; 01-13-2013 at 03:51 PM.

  11. #9
    Senior Member OFFSHORE GINGER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Mich
    Posts
    1,568

    Default

    [QUOTE=johnf;1796466]
    Quote Originally Posted by jrork View Post

    Thank you, jrork. Ok put a (sealer primer) Then a (surfacer primer) Then paint. Now I understand what he was saying! I spoke with Jim at Express And he said once the 714 is put on and prepped it is ready for Gelcoat or paint. He knows about Gel-flowcoat but couldn't advise on what paint. thanks johnf.
    John , what paint would you like to spray , Imron, Awl Grip, Base Coat / Clear Coat or .............................because i have never had any problems with any brand or make of paint when using Duratec .
    Last edited by OFFSHORE GINGER; 01-13-2013 at 03:22 PM.

  12. #10
    Half a bubble off jrork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington
    Posts
    2,467

    Default

    Thanks Artie. I'll check that stuff out. I'm gonna give gelcoat a try. Never attempted it before.

  13. #11
    Senior Member OFFSHORE GINGER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Mich
    Posts
    1,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrork View Post
    Thanks Artie. I'll check that stuff out. I'm gonna give gelcoat a try. Never attempted it before.
    John ,here is a link to there home page which offers a very good tec / information section on all there products . http:Hawkeye Industries and seeing that you are going to try your hand at Gel go to this link Surface Coatings for High Performance Composites. | Revchem Composites | Composite Solutions... Delivered Daily. scroll down and download there 2013 durakote color guide just for shits and giggles .
    Last edited by OFFSHORE GINGER; 01-14-2013 at 05:58 AM.

  14. #12
    DEG
    DEG is offline
    Senior Member DEG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    434

    Default

    House of kolor
    Kolored primer kd 3000 it's a highbred primer that doesn't have the problems of epoxy and polyester. And it's sand able.
    It's 3 in one high build med build or sealer. Then go straight to base..
    Last edited by DEG; 01-15-2013 at 11:20 AM.

  15. #13
    Senior Member APOLLO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MAHTOMEDI,MN
    Posts
    388

    Default

    [QUOTE=OFFSHORE GINGER;1796970]
    Quote Originally Posted by jrork View Post
    John , the Duratec is a primer that i used at Skater for all Epoxy built boat's custom or otherwise , and yes one of the main reasons we started using this primer is because you can spray it on epoxy , sand /prep and then spray Gel (or your topcoat ) without all the X-tra work involved which once again is also a high build primer ( which can be sprayed up to 50 mill's wet on wet ) that costs less then just about any other primers on the market Express Composites' line of Duratec Products which also comes in Black , Grey , or white , 714-002 and might i mention that if you check out there site the price of the primer has just gone up for the first time in two year's ( $72.41 a gallon ) who still offers the best price that you will find anywhere for this product . Just a quick mention ...............when using Duratec there is no need for a special Catalyst / Activator , or reducer , other then Acetone ,and ( MEK) or Catalyst . which is sprayed ,and the bigger the tip the better . John , by the way Hawkeye Industries / Duratec is located in Tacoma Wa .


    Express composites is 15 miles where I live and been using them for all most 20 years. I'm using the Duratec primer now on my project and it is some awesome stuff hands down. It sands like duraglass or a little harder but not much. But most important to me is that it does not clog the paper. You can't go wrong with what Ginger said. He has a lot of good info on hear so keep up the awesome work. Troy

  16. #14
    Senior Member OFFSHORE GINGER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Mich
    Posts
    1,568

    Default

    [QUOTE=APOLLO;1804762]
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE GINGER View Post



    Express composites is 15 miles where I live and been using them for all most 20 years. I'm using the Duratec primer now on my project and it is some awesome stuff hands down. It sands like duraglass or a little harder but not much. But most important to me is that it does not clog the paper. You can't go wrong with what Ginger said. He has a lot of good info on hear so keep up the awesome work. Troy
    APOLLO , thank you for the kind words i also like using Duratec or Hawkeye products , and to tell you the truth just about every Boat Co that i have worked at in the last 25 plus years has used Hawkey products. ( Duratec)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93