clear coat question
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread:
clear coat question

  1. #1
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,544

    Default clear coat question

    how long should it take for a 2 stage clear coat to cure????

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member jdekruyf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Artesia, CA
    Posts
    688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    how long should it take for a 2 stage clear coat to cure????
    To color sand and buff, most spec/tech sheets will say to do it within 24 hours but that's obviously if the temp doesn't drop too low and most sheets assume the clear is in a booth/oven. Some clears can take awhile to "fully cure" though but there acceptable color sand and buff time varies. Best bet is to go off tech sheet if you have one. If you don't, you can try looking it up on the company's web site.

    Sometimes it's best to wait a few days to color sand if your not that comfortable as the clear will get harder/cure more the longer you wait, which obviously creates more color sanding time. That's why most tech sheets have you do it ASAP as the clear is still a little softer and cuts down and sanding and buffing time for body shops. But if you're new to color sanding, it increases the risk of sanding through clear coat. I let my boat cure for about 3-4 days before I started wet sanding as I would rather spend a little more time sanding than risk cutting through clear.

    I'm a novice when it comes to painting but that's just what I've picked up in my research.

  4. #3
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,544

    Default

    Thanks for the response. problem my son had yesterday was not with sanding but more the buffing. problem was he set the compound bottle down on the boat as he was buffing and moving then noticed the bottle left an indent in the clear. clear was shot weeks ago!!!!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member jdekruyf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Artesia, CA
    Posts
    688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    Thanks for the response. problem my son had yesterday was not with sanding but more the buffing. problem was he set the compound bottle down on the boat as he was buffing and moving then noticed the bottle left an indent in the clear. clear was shot weeks ago!!!!
    I had a little fingerprint like smudge in my scoop from handling it after the clear was sprayed but a few days later it looked a little better. After about 2 weeks you couldn't see it at all. Clears can take almost 3 months to "fully cure". I'd give it a few days and see how it looks.

  7. #5
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdekruyf View Post
    I had a little fingerprint like smudge in my scoop from handling it after the clear was sprayed but a few days later it looked a little better. After about 2 weeks you couldn't see it at all. Clears can take almost 3 months to "fully cure". I'd give it a few days and see how it looks.
    you were correct on the flow out! He decided to put it out in the sun for awhile and all issues went away! boat will get a good wash this weekend and come back in the garage for the final buff and see how it turns out!!!! This is his first paint job and he is VERY PERTICULAR as to the final product! His tape work and prep are beyond compare. I wish I could toss pictures out but he will not allow it till he is good with it! He is a perfectionist so go figure. He has done the bottom blueprint and full pump set-back and can be seen on face-book but I am hands-tied at this point!

  8. #6
    Senior Member jdekruyf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Artesia, CA
    Posts
    688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdekruyf View Post
    I had a little fingerprint like smudge in my scoop from handling it after the clear was sprayed but a few days later it looked a little better. After about 2 weeks you couldn't see it at all. Clears can take almost 3 months to "fully cure". I'd give it a few days and see how it looks.
    you were correct on the flow out! He decided to put it out in the sun for awhile and all issues went away! boat will get a good wash this weekend and come back in the garage for the final buff and see how it turns out!!!! This is his first paint job and he is VERY PERTICULAR as to the final product! His tape work and prep are beyond compare. I wish I could toss pictures out but he will not allow it till he is good with it! He is a perfectionist so go figure. He has done the bottom blueprint and full pump set-back and can be seen on face-book but I am hands-tied at this point!
    Good deal and glad it worked out for him and yeah I give major thumbs up to guys that can mask and overlay different colors and all that. One thing to spray but the prep and masking is not simple by any means. I've tried and failed and that's why my boat ended up all white!

    Post some pics when it's all done and he approves!

  9. #7
    New here Beer:30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    4,219

    Default

    By chance - IMRON?
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    EFI is the wave of the future. There can be no denying it. Electronics have been on the leading edge of our entire lives. Not only os the magneto dead, but the standard issue CDI is wavering. Its all about total fuel, air AND spark control. Anybody that thinks its not has their head up their ass.


    2001 SleekCraft 30' Heritage SSB, open-bow mid-cuddy. 496HO / Bravo-I.

  10. #8
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beer:30 View Post
    By chance - IMRON?
    Not a chance!

  11. #9
    New here Beer:30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    4,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    Not a chance!
    Whew. Ok. My nephew just tried to spray his jeep with satin-green Imron. They shot some of the parts two weeks ago and I think it's JUST NOW curing! I looked up the drying time and it's SIX DAYS.

    So, they switched to Nason BC/CC (satin clear). It's all finished and almost put back together and the Imron is STILL DRYING.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    EFI is the wave of the future. There can be no denying it. Electronics have been on the leading edge of our entire lives. Not only os the magneto dead, but the standard issue CDI is wavering. Its all about total fuel, air AND spark control. Anybody that thinks its not has their head up their ass.


    2001 SleekCraft 30' Heritage SSB, open-bow mid-cuddy. 496HO / Bravo-I.

  12. #10
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdekruyf View Post
    Good deal and glad it worked out for him and yeah I give major thumbs up to guys that can mask and overlay different colors and all that. One thing to spray but the prep and masking is not simple by any means. I've tried and failed and that's why my boat ended up all white!

    Post some pics when it's all done and he approves!
    I have done a few boats and for his first I can't believe his tape work and I will take a shot and post it this sunday after the buff WHEN he is not looking! Thanks for all the input!

  13. #11
    Senior Member Billy-B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Posts
    3,245

    Default

    All urethane clears will vary in dry time. Things like weather temp, humidity, how mnany coats, reducer you used if any ( I cut my clear 10%). What brand did he use? Cheaper clears use different/cheaper resins then the more expensive ones. And my PPG rep said clear can take as long as 8 months to fully harden.
    N.R.K.A. CEO of the Needles River K Association.....The largest "K" boat assoc in the WORLD. 30 boats strong & growing.

    And the #1 backer of " EASON " for President.




    "Blown Gas Flats to the ramp!" - Chris Blevens

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93