Here is my latest boat related project that turned from a "fix" to a total rebuild of the engine/storage hatch on my wifes 20' Canyon Silhouette. Last year we noticed that the hatch was not closing correctly and that the wood under the hinges was failing. I finally got around to pulling the hatch off the boat to repair it. My initial thought was that the perimeter support wood had gone soft and I would remove the upholstery back just far enough to glass in a new piece of wood. I was not so lucky.. The more I dug into it, the more rot and broken wood I found. Every piece of the structure of the hatch was damaged in one way or another. I wish I would have taken more pictures but didn't think about it at the time. the top of the hatch is flat so that was easy enough to replace but the sides are multiple pieces of wood glassed together to form the angled sides. I chose to cut out the center but leave a 3 inches of the flat top surface on each of the angled sides. I used a grinder to remove all the rotted wood and built the angled side pieces back up using a resin and cotton flock paste.
I then mated the repaired sides to the new center using the same flox paste. The new center plywood was previously glued to a second plywood panel that was cut 3 inches wider on both sides to make a ledge for the sides to be attached to.
I then wrapped the edges and seams with biaxial fiberglass and the top with a heavy triaxial fiberglass. all stuff that can be had from wicks aircraft supply.
Then it was time to flip it over and go work on the bottom. I was able to salvage enough of the old support structure to make a pattern that I was able to draw around. I cut the support pieces from the same 5/8 plywood and then made sure they fit the shape of the top panel. I then used gorilla wood glue to sandwich my cut pieces to rough cut pieces to double the thickness. I then used a flush cut routher bit to finish. I then mounted the supports using the flox paste. I sanded the resin between each work session to ensure adhesion during the following step.
then it was time to fit and shape the hatch before final glass and resin to seal it all up. It went on and off the boat 3 times before I got it just right.
Once I was happy with the fit, I put on a final layer of resin to seal it all up and used flox paste to install a couple of blocks to help support the area where the hinges bolt through.
Once cured, I reinstalled the upholstery and new carpet on the inside.
I knew the hatch would be substantially heavier than before so I ordered an electronic 12" stroke actuator and a momentary rocker switch to run it up and down.
wow, that was a lot for one post!