Ever wonder where you are going?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 16

Thread:
Ever wonder where you are going?

  1. #1
    On The Gas TheCarDudes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Moorpark & LHC
    Posts
    1,428

    Default We couldn't see

    even 1/8 mile around us. Had the radar & GPS to keep us safe.

    A picture from this weekend coming home from Catalina in to Dana Point. It was really unbeilevable how thick the fog was. Visibilty was down to less than 1/4 mile at times. Thank goodness electronics were operating perfectly and always kept us on course. Someone should ask someone about coming in to Newport Harbor kinda HOT. (Joking). They'll get over it.

    Last edited by TheCarDudes; 09-29-2008 at 07:05 AM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Old Skool Member DILLIGAF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the road!
    Posts
    6,519

    Default

    My first trip over to Catalina in my boat the fog was much thicker than that. The boat I was to follow took off like a bat out of hell and I lost him very quickly. Lucky for me HavasuLvr was there and I followed him over. Not fun but once we got thru the fog it was a very nice day.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Big Warlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale
    Posts
    3,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
    My first trip over to Catalina in my boat the fog was much thicker than that. The boat I was to follow took off like a bat out of hell and I lost him very quickly. Lucky for me HavasuLvr was there and I followed him over. Not fun but once we got thru the fog it was a very nice day.
    Seeing that you cross a major shipping lane on the way to catalina, the fog can be as hazardous as the wave action in the afternoon. You just have to be careful! FYI you can't hear the ship with your motors running either. The collision is the first clue!

  5. #4
    On The Gas TheCarDudes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Moorpark & LHC
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Warlock View Post
    Seeing that you cross a major shipping lane on the way to catalina, the fog can be as hazardous as the wave action in the afternoon. You just have to be careful! FYI you can't hear the ship with your motors running either. The collision is the first clue!
    As we were crossing the shipping lane Saturday, we did pick up a cargo ship on the radar. He was 2 miles out on the starboard side and barely visible.
    Last edited by TheCarDudes; 09-29-2008 at 07:30 AM.

  6. #5
    I am Roger..the Shrubber Cigalert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    That fog can get really thick around Dana. We had an aircraft carrier come within 1/4 mile while we were down on the deck fishing, look up and theres the business end of a massive ship. The wake from those things makes the casino boats look like bath tub toys.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Magic34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mesa, Az
    Posts
    2,144

    Default

    We didn't see Catalina until just before the 3 mile line on the chart, so even at Catalina, visibility was around 4 miles tops and at that, we could just see a faint blob of land on the horizon.

    I had the radar set at 1/8 mile rings so we were really watching where you could actually see a boat that pops up. Many you couldn't see until they were less than 1/4 mile away.

    Newport... It comes up quick. However, just a word to the jackasses who sit at the entrance of the Harbor. Hey azzhole, when you cant see your hand in front of your face, probably not a good idea to just float in the entrance of the harbor. Some people cant find a clue to save their life.

  8. #7
    skiing Parker since 1960 skyskier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hemet Ca/Parker AZ
    Posts
    643

    Default

    I skied the catalina race back in the 60's One year we went "high tech" and had a big ass , and I mean a HUGE compass screwed & duct taped to the floor in between the observers feet, in a 18 ft. Howard flat bottom We hit Avalon running in the lead pack, about 8 of us. We came out of the turn and EVERYBODY else starts peeling off to the left, I'm franticly "pointing" at the group trying to tell my observer to follow those guy's He in turn "points" down at the "compass" indicating the "ok" sign saying were right on course BS ...............3 hours later we made "landfall" .............at San Clemente Island It's a BIG ocean out there,......in the fog

  9. #8
    Senior Member Ms Understood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Murrieta, Ca
    Posts
    8,159

    Default

    Yep!


  10. #9
    Senior Member TOBTEK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    you havent lived till you do that crossing on a Sea-doo Xp in the fog with NO compass. NEVER AGAIN! Did that back in 94 with Berts motorcycle shop....was terrible!
    SO-CAL mortgage & Real Estate services.

  11. #10
    I am Roger..the Shrubber Cigalert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyskier View Post
    I skied the catalina race back in the 60's One year we went "high tech" and had a big ass , and I mean a HUGE compass screwed & duct taped to the floor in between the observers feet, in a 18 ft. Howard flat bottom We hit Avalon running in the lead pack, about 8 of us. We came out of the turn and EVERYBODY else starts peeling off to the left, I'm franticly "pointing" at the group trying to tell my observer to follow those guy's He in turn "points" down at the "compass" indicating the "ok" sign saying were right on course BS ...............3 hours later we made "landfall" .............at San Clemente Island It's a BIG ocean out there,......in the fog
    Wow, that's a huge miss to the left. Could have been worse, you could have ended up in San Pedro.

  12. #11
    Senior Member Magic34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mesa, Az
    Posts
    2,144

    Default

    It is so easy to get turned around out there. I came off plane to check a drive, and went to start back up and was heading about 100 degrees off heading.

    It took us a little longer to get there because of my zig zag driving technique.

  13. #12
    Senior Member DeltaSigBoater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Huntington Harbour
    Posts
    936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic34 View Post
    It is so easy to get turned around out there. I came off plane to check a drive, and went to start back up and was heading about 100 degrees off heading.

    It took us a little longer to get there because of my zig zag driving technique.
    I thought you had an Auto Pilot

  14. #13
    I am Roger..the Shrubber Cigalert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic34 View Post
    It is so easy to get turned around out there. I came off plane to check a drive, and went to start back up and was heading about 100 degrees off heading.

    It took us a little longer to get there because of my zig zag driving technique.
    You have to drive by 75% GPS and 25% sight. Once you see your tracking on GPS then you make the adjustment. Big pain in ass for sure and even bigger pain when you can't visually adjust from landmarks.

    When heading to Newport from San Diego this time of year, I used to make my heading right at Catalina and the swell would put us right at the harbor.

    It took us 1 1/2 hours to get home from Catalina Saturday night because of the wind/swell/fog. Left the island at 11:00 pm. No moon made things just that much more annoying.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Big Warlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale
    Posts
    3,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cigalert View Post
    That fog can get really thick around Dana. We had an aircraft carrier come within 1/4 mile while we were down on the deck fishing, look up and theres the business end of a massive ship. The wake from those things makes the casino boats look like bath tub toys.
    That would scare the crap out of me!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90