Electrical help
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread:
Electrical help

  1. #1
    Senior Member Game Time's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Corona, Ca
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Electrical help

    I'm switching out a traditional switch that controls a motion light with a switch/outlet combo. I have power to the outlet part but my switch is not working. What am I doing wrong?
    New switch/outlet...

    White wires connected on same side...

    Black wires connected on same side and ground wires grounded.

    Inside of the box...

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,226

    Default

    You need the "Black" to go to the "Black" for the lamp to work, it looks to me like you have a neutral "white" wire trying to power the light, no good...

    Sometimes the wires get run funny to save time, make sure there is a neutral and a hot, the two white wires should be tied together, the black wires should be one for the outlet and one to the lamps (like the top white wire should be the black lamp wire...

    Hell I even confused myself this time....Do you have the cut sheet to the new switch?

    edit: I guess in other words, the light power black wire should go on the brass screw...with the two neutrals together....
    Last edited by GT Jets; 01-29-2010 at 06:31 PM.
    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

  4. #3
    Senior Member EdonShano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arroyo Grande
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    pm me your number I'll walk you thru it

  5. #4
    Team CJ460 Just Electric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    granada hills
    Posts
    2,189

    Default

    find the hot /pig tail it and the same for the neuts and then use the spare wire which should be your switch leg/lite and put that on the switch side

  6. #5
    slalom skiing=best drug 74glencoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Alamogordo NM
    Posts
    552

    Default brass is the key

    1. take all your wires off except the ground
    2. find out which black is the actual hot with a milti-meter or "hot-pen"
    3. make the two whites and a 6'' piece of white together with a wire nut.
    4. take the other end of the 6'' white to the silver screw.
    5. take the black that is not hot to the brass (gold) colored screw
    6. take the hot to BOTH black screws
    7. screw it all back into the box, put the plate on, crack open a cold one.
    Boating is nothing like cocaine, boating is much more addictive and results in bigger parties!

  7. #6
    Tim
    Tim is offline
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hangtown, Ca
    Posts
    185

    Default

    The gold screw is where the line side "hot" of power will need to be connected. Both whites should be connected to the silver screw. The two black screws are switched. 1 is for switching the outlet of the device and the other is for switching a light or fan. To find out which black is power just hold the ground lightly with one hand and lightly touch the black with the other and you should get a light tingle, the tighter you hold the more tingle you get. Another thing to remember in AC power is the black red blue wires are hot and they go to the gold screw. Like colored people have gold teeth.

  8. #7
    Happy Member WishIknew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Under a Rock near ???
    Posts
    1,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    The gold screw is where the line side "hot" of power will need to be connected. Both whites should be connected to the silver screw. The two black screws are switched. 1 is for switching the outlet of the device and the other is for switching a light or fan. To find out which black is power just hold the ground lightly with one hand and lightly touch the black with the other and you should get a light tingle, the tighter you hold the more tingle you get. Another thing to remember in AC power is the black red blue wires are hot and they go to the gold screw. Like colored people have gold teeth.
    What in world are you talking about ????Hold the wires and get a lite tingle??????? Maybe you should stand in a bucket of water with your shoes off and stick YOUR hand in to the buss bars of your main panel !!!! And please report back to us about the tingle !!!!

  9. #8
    Tim
    Tim is offline
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hangtown, Ca
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Only kidding. But it will only give you a little buzz if held very lightly.

  10. #9
    Team CJ460 Just Electric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    granada hills
    Posts
    2,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WishIknew View Post
    What in world are you talking about ????Hold the wires and get a lite tingle??????? Maybe you should stand in a bucket of water with your shoes off and stick YOUR hand in to the buss bars of your main panel !!!! And please report back to us about the tingle !!!!
    now thats where the term electricians do it without shorts

  11. #10
    Happy Member WishIknew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Under a Rock near ???
    Posts
    1,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 74glencoe View Post
    1. take all your wires off except the ground
    2. find out which black is the actual hot with a milti-meter or "hot-pen"
    3. make the two whites and a 6'' piece of white together with a wire nut.
    4. take the other end of the 6'' white to the silver screw.
    5. take the black that is not hot to the brass (gold) colored screw
    6. take the hot to BOTH black screws
    7. screw it all back into the box, put the plate on, crack open a cold one.
    He also needs to pigtail the grounds not leave 2 wires under the screw

  12. #11
    RvRrat
    Guest

    Default

    If you don't have a meter, here's a quick way.

    Remove both whites and pig tail them with a small piece of white wire & wire nut, run that to the silver.

    Move one of the blacks to the gold.
    Jumper the blacks together with a small piece of wire.

    If the recepticle doesn't work, switch the black wires around.

  13. #12
    Senior Member jetboatrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Saint Charles, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Is it fixed or did you get shocked, drank a beer and gave up

  14. #13
    Senior Member Game Time's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Corona, Ca
    Posts
    1,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatrich View Post
    Is it fixed or did you get shocked, drank a beer and gave up
    I grabbed the hot wire real tight!!! Just kidding. It's up and running now. Thanks for everyone's help.

  15. #14
    Dreaming of snow catman-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    When doing electrical I like to think of it like a big battery. I know the ground has no insulation, and to figure out which one is hot, I use the old battery to the tongue trick. Hurts like hell the first time, but you get used to it after a while. Better than taking 5 hour energy!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93