Re-Paint Boat Trailer? DIY
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 16

Thread:
Re-Paint Boat Trailer? DIY

  1. #1
    Senior Member Havasu Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    322

    Default Re-Paint Boat Trailer? DIY

    Has anybody here had the pleasure of re-painting your boat trailer? Mine is looking a little ruff. I have quite a few rust spots on the frame, fenders, and leaf springs. I was thinking it would be a fun winter project. I know I could take is somewhere and have it done but I like to DIY when possible. This may be to big of a project so I am looking for feedback to see if anyone else has attempted this type of project. Did you media blast the whole trailer or just the trouble spots? What primer and paint did you use?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Canatard
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,341

    Default

    Fun winter project?

    I've done it... a couple of times. It's no fun winter project. I can tell you that.

    It comes down to the style of trailer. You probably have a typical ladder frame with stationary bunks. That wouldn't be too bad to refinish.

    I had mine sand blasted. I knew the guys who did it for me and they let me prime it in their sand blast lane. The key is to prime it right after blasting. Rust will start on bare steel in the first few hours. At least, it does up here.

    If you don't remove the axle, ask the guys to do their best to stay away from the back of the hubs. At least that way, you'll be able to get the trailer home. Once home, you'll need to rebuild the hubs (including seals) but you probably want to do that anyway.

    By the time you do your mods (LED light cages), blast the trailer, prime, paint, wire, add lights, replace the lights, put the manufacturer's plate back on, etc... you'll be spending a bit. Don't forget the mods you'd like to do like moving the spare tire, filling the welds, etc.

    I'd have to say restoring my old trailer seemed like a great idea. I didn't hate the work but it was some of the least enjoyable restoration work I've done. I don't think I'd do it again.
    Last edited by Tom Brown; 05-03-2010 at 09:32 AM.

  4. #3
    Senior Member milkmoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    vegas
    Posts
    4,194

    Default

    i was jus talking about this and what i am going to do is take it a part and send it in to have it powder coated, tired of paint chipping and rusting so fast..i know u want to do it urself, have fun doing it every couple of years if u tow alot..

  5. #4
    Canatard
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,341

    Default

    Powder coat is a great idea. I've seen some fantastic looking trailers in powder coat.

    I've found that a good quality epoxy primer on top of a properly prepared surface sticks pretty well, though. My trailer is going on 8 years and I'm not aware of any chips.

    ... just a comment on durability. Powder coat would kick ass though, and it would save the mess and hassle of trying to paint the zillions of corners, flanges, and oddities that constitute a trailer. You pretty much need a pressure pot to paint a trailer using traditional methods.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Riomouse911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Norco, Ca.
    Posts
    362

    Default

    When my trailer was new I had my fenders done at the local Rhino-liner shop. Pulled them off and had them sprayed, made for a good grip and never chipped from travel down the freeways. The boat was white/gray/black, and the trailer was white with black fenders. Looked pretty good, and only cost me 70 bucks for two. They have other colors as well, might be an option for you.

    The whole trailer would've been about 400 skins. Looking back I should've done the whole thing, as the axles get chipped up on every trip.
    "Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene'.."
    Homer J. Simpson

  7. #6
    Colts fan & Stoker owner RitcheyRch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Santa Clarita Valley
    Posts
    7,997

    Default

    Powder coating is an awesome idea but remember it doesnt have any UV protection and will fade from the sun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brown View Post
    Powder coat is a great idea. I've seen some fantastic looking trailers in powder coat.

    I've found that a good quality epoxy primer on top of a properly prepared surface sticks pretty well, though. My trailer is going on 8 years and I'm not aware of any chips.

    ... just a comment on durability. Powder coat would kick ass though, and it would save the mess and hassle of trying to paint the zillions of corners, flanges, and oddities that constitute a trailer. You pretty much need a pressure pot to paint a trailer using traditional methods.
    www.facebook.com/RitcheyRch

    "I didn't pay them for sex, I paid them to leave"
    Charlie Sheen

    Life is all about ass, you're either covering it, hauling it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    246

    Default

    I had Kustom Trailers in Ranch Cucamonga media blast & repaint my trailer about 6 years ago. They did a great job, and the price was more than fair. It still looks really good to this day. I wouldnt do it myself for what they charged.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -- Thomas Jefferson

    Quote Originally Posted by kilrtoy View Post
    Show me a hot chick and I will show you someone sick of her shit

  9. #8
    Senior Member Havasu Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magic28 View Post
    I had Kustom Trailers in Ranch Cucamonga media blast & repaint my trailer about 6 years ago. They did a great job, and the price was more than fair. It still looks really good to this day. I wouldnt do it myself for what they charged.
    There are numerous projects that I have competed that were crazy to attempt. All have come out good so far. My biggest problem is that voice in the back of my head saying "you can do that." I plan on getting some quotes before I proceed. Would post approx what you paid or PM me if you are more comfortable doing that. It would be a good starting point for me.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Havasu Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brown View Post
    Fun winter project?

    I've done it... a couple of times. It's no fun winter project. I can tell you that.

    It comes down to the style of trailer. You probably have a typical ladder frame with stationary bunks. That wouldn't be too bad to refinish.

    I had mine sand blasted. I knew the guys who did it for me and they let me prime it in their sand blast lane. The key is to prime it right after blasting. Rust will start on bare steel in the first few hours. At least, it does up here.

    If you don't remove the axle, ask the guys to do their best to stay away from the back of the hubs. At least that way, you'll be able to get the trailer home. Once home, you'll need to rebuild the hubs (including seals) but you probably want to do that anyway.

    By the time you do your mods (LED light cages), blast the trailer, prime, paint, wire, add lights, replace the lights, put the manufacturer's plate back on, etc... you'll be spending a bit. Don't forget the mods you'd like to do like moving the spare tire, filling the welds, etc.

    I'd have to say restoring my old trailer seemed like a great idea. I didn't hate the work but it was some of the least enjoyable restoration work I've done. I don't think I'd do it again.
    thanks for the input.
    I am sure like every project it will cost twice what I originally planned with the upgrades. I was thinking of just doing the minimum, sand blast, prime and paint, reuse the old lights running new wires and repacking the bearings. We will see what the quotes come back at.

  11. #10
    ''GHOST of COLDFIRE'' Dossangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Laguna hills ca
    Posts
    1,789

    Default

    The best way is to prep trailer then take it to 1 day paint. By the time you buy the paint and the mess you'll make. Best money i ever spent.
    ''Team BIESEMEYER''
    N.R.K.A. ''The Baddest K'S in the U.S.A.''

  12. #11
    Senior Member GAWnCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Posts
    2,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RitcheyRch View Post
    Powder coating is an awesome idea but remember it doesnt have any UV protection and will fade from the sun.
    Depends on what powder you use and you can always clear coat with UV protection built in.
    Wags

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,236

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Dossangers View Post
    The best way is to prep trailer then take it to 1 day paint. By the time you buy the paint and the mess you'll make. Best money i ever spent.

  14. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    whittier
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I did mine all by myself. Used a 4" grinder for prep. Rustoleum primer and Rustoleum paint. Hard part was getting the boat 4 feet up in the air. I used a floor jack and a lot of wood. Total cost was under $500. The sandblaster wanted that much alone.



    IMG]http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy293/fundeck24/Painting%20Boat%20Trailer/DSCF0004.jpg[/IMG]






  15. #14
    Senior Member Roaddogg 4040's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lake Havasu City, AZ/Algonac, MI
    Posts
    4,397

    Default

    Wayne...

    What is one day paint? Do they do sandblasting and priming or ??? Where are they located?

    Thanks, Steve

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93