Pool water evaporation...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 21

Thread:
Pool water evaporation...

  1. #1
    Senior Member 12ozCurls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    YL/Anaheim Hills
    Posts
    410

    Default Pool water evaporation...

    What is the normal rate of pool water evaporation in SoCal? Obviously when its hot its higher, but I have had to add much more water this summer than last....
    No man knows the value of a woman's love....until she files for divorce.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Claremont, CA
    Posts
    672

    Default

    We just got our pool redone...we've had weeks were we added none and some were we've added 4-5". Hard to tell with the splashing etc...

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, Ca
    Posts
    16

    Default

    It seems this summer has been particularly worse than most summers. I run a swimming pool plumbing company and we recommend doing what is called the bucket test (if you don't want to pay for a leak detector to come out)...put a bucket on the first step (or similar) and fill the bucket with water so that it is at the same level of the pool, the bucket and pool level should decrease at the same rate. If the pool water is noticeably lower than the bucket, we would recommend getting a leak detector to come out. I hope this helps.

  5. #4
    About 500' AGL MudPumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Santa Clarita
    Posts
    2,467

    Default

    If you can figure this out you will get your answer.....The evaporation rate of water from a swimming pool is fairly easy to calculate; given you have access to a psychrometric chart or water vapor tables. W=(A (69.4+30.8 (V)) / Y )(Pw-Pa) W = lb / hr of evaporation. A = surface area of the swimming pool. V = mean wind velocity (mph). Y= Latent heat (approx. 1000). Pw - Sat. Vapor Press at water temp (in Hg). Pa - Sat. Vapor Press at room air temp (in Hg)

    In short it depends on a lot of factors. Surface area of the pool, temperature, relative humidity and wind speed. General rule of thumb is up to 1" per day.

  6. #5
    MEDIUM PIMPIN!!! ~NORD~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Your Mom's House..........
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    Durring the summer I usually add water once a week. It is about an inch on the tile line.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Hare Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Redding, Ca
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MudPumper View Post
    If you can figure this out you will get your answer.....The evaporation rate of water from a swimming pool is fairly easy to calculate; given you have access to a psychrometric chart or water vapor tables. W=(A (69.4+30.8 (V)) / Y )(Pw-Pa) W = lb / hr of evaporation. A = surface area of the swimming pool. V = mean wind velocity (mph). Y= Latent heat (approx. 1000). Pw - Sat. Vapor Press at water temp (in Hg). Pa - Sat. Vapor Press at room air temp (in Hg)

    In short it depends on a lot of factors. Surface area of the pool, temperature, relative humidity and wind speed. General rule of thumb is up to 1" per day.
    one inch per day, why didn't you just say that?
    I like to start out slow and then taper off.

  8. #7
    Can't re-Member 28Eliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    At 110 degree's, a 15,000 gal pool will loose up to 50 gallons of water a day to evaporation
    I'd agree with you, but then we would both be wrong

  9. #8
    Senior Member bead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    866

    Default if you think you have a leak

    try the bucket test. Fill a 5 galllon bucket to the same level as your pool when the bucket is sitting on the step . If the pool water level is lower than your bucket level , you must have a leak in the pool . compare over the next few days. I tell customers 2 to 3"a week normal activity and 3 to 5" for larger pools w/water fall features.

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RacerChick View Post
    It seems this summer has been particularly worse than most summers. I run a swimming pool plumbing company and we recommend doing what is called the bucket test (if you don't want to pay for a leak detector to come out)...put a bucket on the first step (or similar) and fill the bucket with water so that it is at the same level of the pool, the bucket and pool level should decrease at the same rate. If the pool water is noticeably lower than the bucket, we would recommend getting a leak detector to come out. I hope this helps.
    Bucket test is best if you think you are losing water.

  11. #10
    Member MoVal Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MoVal (SoCal)
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Good info guys! Thanks!
    I think of myself as being fairly logical and creative in order to get something done.....and I didn't think about the bucket test.

    I have a fiberglass pool and am pretty sure that I have no leaks. I am filling about 3" per week throughout the summer. (24,000 gallon pool)

    My son, on the other hand, has a smaller "pool" that appears to have been built by waterfall or pond builders. It looks like it was coated with a waterproofing that may not be doing the job. He is getting frustrated that he can fill 2" every other day....and his pool is in the shade a good portion of the day.
    The bucket test sounds like a good idea.

  12. #11
    Living in a cage of fear thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    14,769

    Default

    Ours is close to 40K gallons.
    Last summer the auto fill could not keep up.
    We had a guy sonic test it and he found 2 leaks.
    What I did was shut off the auto fill and see where it sort of leveled off at. It was about 18" down or so, the same level as the discharge holes...
    He fixed the leaks and all was well.
    The leaks were in the PVC piping, 2 separate pipes on the discharge side, not the pool itself. He had to cut the concrete decking and dig to the pipes.
    All told it was around $1,200.00 , but without him sonic checking it I have no idea how I would have located them.
    Last edited by thatguy; 08-31-2010 at 03:59 AM.
    Tommy

    Quote Originally Posted by heavy flow View Post
    i'm a blind dumb liberal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brown View Post
    Obama also possesses extreme intellect.


    "So as through a glass, and darkly
    The age long strife I see
    Where I fought in many guises,
    Many names, but always me."

    Gen. George S Patton

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,299

    Default

    In the heat of the summer our pool evporation is around 100k a day. Yep thats correct ONE HOUNDRED THOUSAND GALLONS. we use our own property wells to keep it filled.

    Can anyone guess where this pool is ??
    Hint, its in the U.S.A.

  14. #13
    Senior Member 12ozCurls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    YL/Anaheim Hills
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scarabrick View Post
    In the heat of the summer our pool evporation is around 100k a day. Yep thats correct ONE HOUNDRED THOUSAND GALLONS. we use our own property wells to keep it filled.

    Can anyone guess where this pool is ??
    Hint, its in the U.S.A.
    Mead, maybe???
    No man knows the value of a woman's love....until she files for divorce.

  15. #14
    Senior Member 12ozCurls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    YL/Anaheim Hills
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Thanks for the responses. I have a waterfall feature and it runs when the filter pump runs, I have no choice to shut it off or bypass it. I will put a bucket in the pool when I get home today. I filled the pool back to the correct level and then put the hose in the spa and filled it. This morning when I left, I checked the pool and the spa was at least 8 inches below the level it spills into the pool at. I calculated putting about 1,000 gallons in it yesterday(between the spa and the pool.) Hopefully the waterfall feature, and not a leak, is costing me water...

    thanks
    No man knows the value of a woman's love....until she files for divorce.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92