While it rains outside on this Sunday I guess I will do a little bit of an update. Can't really complain about the rain being it will knock some of the dust down that is so needed to be done after the insane amount of sanding I've done but it could happen at night and not slowed progress.
The week started off with fixing the holes in the dash and filling in the fiberglass for the old gas tank fills. I expected two holes for the tanks fills but after seeing some cracks and doing some sanding I found that there were two other holes for fills that had been covered in the past. Little Bondo and paint and it was all good for them but not this time around. All was ground out, backer wood was glassed in where necessary and then multiple layers of fiberglass placed on top feathered into the surroundings. Also a couple areas around where the motor sits had to be patched up also. Nothing major but if it was even slightly cracked or had a hole they got groundout re-fiberglassed.
As the inside started to tighten up I moved to the top side outer hull. I was making insane progress and was almost thinking I was going too fast until I ran across this. This is where the top half meets the bottom half the boat. The picture is of it after I already attacked it once with my disk grinder just trying to get it semi-flat and some of the five layers of paint off that caked in the corners. After looking at it months ago I already located and priced a rub-rail for it but after talking to another classic Beise owner the first thing they notice was that ours had never had one installed and wishes his did not. I also know a few folks with little outboards boats that are built the same why and they all prefer no rub-rail. So to keep it as traditional as possible I am attempting to fix it.
At this point I have already filled in the major chunks that were missing and where it was coming apart I filled in all the gaps with resin to where I could get enough of it together to start building off of. Almost like scaffolding under an arch ceiling. Ground everything down to the basic shape and then started making circles around the boat putting down fiberglass as I passed. First the top than the bottom. Let that set up grind it back down to the basic shape and feathering the edges and then back around again for another layer. At this point mechanically it's 120% and is totally intact except for a small place on the bow that I cant get to yet.
At this point I am also fixing anything else I can find. Fiberglass Bondo for any blemish that is over a sheet of paper thickness and multiple sandings of the whole hull (except for the bottom, got to get it off the triailer first).
Having over 25 hours into the whole hull joint thing alone kind of makes progress almost look nonexistent but it's happening. Soon things will be moving a little more to where they will show up in a movie and then we'll do another You Tube update but until then you can always check an updated movie out@ ResurrectionMarine.com in the "future resurrection" section.