Ipod direct to amp?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread:
Ipod direct to amp?

  1. #1
    Senior Member 82RaysonCraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Orange County, CA
    Posts
    224

    Default Ipod direct to amp?

    Anyone know if this is possible without using a head unit?
    Looking at redoing my system this winter and really have no need for a HU if i can run my Ipod to the amp.

    Thoughts?
    Famous last word's "Yeah Y'all, watch this"

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Yes its possible. Can also be done with the xm/Sirius units.

    Example:

    Ipod to a 3.5mm to component plugs (red/white), component end in amp.

  4. #3
    Senior Member 82RaysonCraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Orange County, CA
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OC2Vegas View Post
    Yes its possible. Can also be done with the xm/Sirius units.

    Example:

    Ipod to a 3.5mm to component plugs (red/white), component end in amp.
    What I thought, so volume from the component will work fine but I will not have any audio adjustments (bass, mid, treble, fade, balance) correct?
    if so maynot be the way to go...
    Famous last word's "Yeah Y'all, watch this"

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member NiceGuyEddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills
    Posts
    5,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 82RaysonCraft View Post
    What I thought, so volume from the component will work fine but I will not have any audio adjustments (bass, mid, treble, fade, balance) correct?
    if so maynot be the way to go...
    Also:
    How would you run your Ipod/Xm to multiple amps? For how cheap ipod ready head units can be picked up now, I don't see a point.

    Ipods also don't like heat, they die fast out there. So with a receiver you can have it charging all day. Before I had a ipod ready receiver, I ran the Itrip. within an hour my ipod would be dead and Id have to resort to cds.

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post
    Also:
    How would you run your Ipod/Xm to multiple amps? For how cheap ipod ready head units can be picked up now, I don't see a point.

    Ipods also don't like heat, they die fast out there. So with a receiver you can have it charging all day. Before I had a ipod ready receiver, I ran the Itrip. within an hour my ipod would be dead and Id have to resort to cds.
    ipods, etc all have headphone outputs which arent TRUE low level but you can get away with it. they have built in EQ's for audio control. It would be easier to use an active crossover like below to control sound and use the ipod as just the volume control. the crossover would also allow you to split the signal to multiple amps without the use of RCA splitters which would drop the signal quality.



    crossovers are pretty cheap these days and small.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95