302 swap.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread:
302 swap.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1

    Default 302 swap.

    Blew my 302 in my 19' chaparral. I have a crate motor that I am not using. Do I need to swap the cam? The research I have done seems to indicate that the cam in the crate motor and the cam that summit recommends operate at the same rpm range. The cam from by boat and the new one that is recommended both have the firing order of a 351.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Just Me snoc653's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    Does your boat have a closed cooling system? Usually boats have extra clearance in the bores to allow for the cooler block temps that boats with open cooling systems have. A standard crate motor might be too tight to live very long in a boat. The pistons will expand and could score or stick in the bores as the block will stay cool. If you have a radiator in the boat, then go for it.
    So many projects, so little time

  4. #3
    Senior Member Mash on It's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Willow Beach & BHC
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snoc653 View Post
    Does your boat have a closed cooling system? Usually boats have extra clearance in the bores to allow for the cooler block temps that boats with open cooling systems have. A standard crate motor might be too tight to live very long in a boat. The pistons will expand and could score or stick in the bores as the block will stay cool. If you have a radiator in the boat, then go for it.

    This is absolutely wrong. Trainloads of 350 chevy engines dropped off at Mercruiser, and out the other door- a fully marinized Merc 260.

    I would think the same for Ford motors, too. Not huge HP in a 302.

    As long as the cam doesn't have too much duration for water cooled exhaust, go for it.

    But what do I know. Mine has a ditch pump.

    Dan'l
    "Never mind the mule, Just load the wagon"
    '76 Eliminator 21'

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mash on It View Post
    This is absolutely wrong. Trainloads of 350 chevy engines dropped off at Mercruiser, and out the other door- a fully marinized Merc 260.

    I would think the same for Ford motors, too. Not huge HP in a 302.

    As long as the cam doesn't have too much duration for water cooled exhaust, go for it.

    But what do I know. Mine has a ditch pump.

    Dan'l
    So you have not considered with the quantity that Mercruiser orders, they get theirs built to their own marine spec?

    Gale Banks just had 2000 or so diesel engines custom built to his spec for his military turbo diesel engines that he is supplying the government with.

  7. #5
    Senior Member Mash on It's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Willow Beach & BHC
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious001 View Post
    So you have not considered with the quantity that Mercruiser orders, they get theirs built to their own marine spec?

    Gale Banks just had 2000 or so diesel engines custom built to his spec for his military turbo diesel engines that he is supplying the government with.
    No, I had not considered that.

    Its a 302. At best (@1 hp/cu in) 302 hp. Probably less.

    I guess it wont work.

    Dan'l
    "Never mind the mule, Just load the wagon"
    '76 Eliminator 21'

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95