1.6Hp per CI possible on BBF?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 20

Thread:
1.6Hp per CI possible on BBF?

  1. #1
    Senior Member sturat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    797

    Default 1.6Hp per CI possible on BBF?

    I have a 514 BBF just wondering if I could possibly get to 1.6HP per CI on a budget...
    I have right now in the motor forged flat tops
    Hydraulic roller
    .659 int .659 ex
    .050: 248 int 254 ex
    adv dur 303 int 309 ex
    110 lobe sep
    crapy pro-comps 10:5 comp ratio
    eagle 4340 crank
    eagle h beams
    All arp fasteners.
    dual QFT 750 offy tunnel ram
    OT headers
    I have come accross a good set (or so i am told)
    Alum SCJ heads with the 75 cc chambers.
    Just wondering if I swap the heads and maybe a cam swap could i get 1.6 HP per CI?
    Last edited by sturat; 04-24-2012 at 08:46 AM.
    Legalize the Constitution!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Hi ,

    1.6 x 514 = 822 hp. that would be a pretty damn good running 514

    Keep in mind my 565 w/ 13:1 compression, great heads (flow 450 cfm), but not a wild cam makes 1.68hp/cu in.

    my old mild 513" ( 4.44x 4.140) made 710hp with A-460 heads, 10.25:1, single 1,050. short roller cam that was done at 6,200 ( in 1991)
    it's a project Bostick and I are working on, it should be running again in a couple months......stay tuned. I'm not sure if it will make 1.6 when we are done.........

    If you want to get there you'll need a new cam and the do you know what the heads flow?

    if the heads flow 360+/-, with the T/R, 12:1 comp, and you rev it to 6,600 with the right solid roller you can get there.

    Should be an interesting thread....with the right in-put.


    S CP
    Last edited by Sleeper CP; 04-24-2012 at 08:44 AM.

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  4. #3
    Senior Member sturat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Jon,
    I do not know what the heads flow yet. They are at the shop now and I should know in a few days.
    I was thinking that my comp will be in the 12 range after the swap as I am going from the large cc heads to a much smaller one. I think mine are like 95 now.
    just trying to wrap my head around all of this as I am a novice at this stuff.
    6600 is ok to spin this thing? seems like that is wound up for BBF?
    Legalize the Constitution!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sturat View Post
    Jon,
    .
    6600 is ok to spin this thing? seems like that is wound up for BBF?


    eagle 4340 crank
    eagle h beams
    All arp fasteners



    What do you have that stuff for ? 1.6 hp per cubic inch has a price......rpm or boost..........

    Melling HV oil pump, talk to Paul Kane....
    Good oil pan to help oil control and you are good to go.

    S CP
    Last edited by Sleeper CP; 04-24-2012 at 10:22 AM.

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  7. #5
    Senior Member sturat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper CP View Post

    eagle 4340 crank
    eagle h beams
    All arp fasteners



    What do you have that stuff for ? 1.6 hp per cubic inch has a price......rpm or boost..........

    Melling HV oil pump, talk to Paul Kane....
    Good oil pan to help oil control and you are good to go.

    S CP
    Right... Dip shit that is me!

    Melling HV oil pump already have one

    running a basset 14 quart pan..
    Legalize the Constitution!

  8. #6
    Senior Member Widetrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southwest corner AR
    Posts
    4,045

    Default

    Sturat, I think Jon is talking about a real good oil pan! Steffs or B&B or? It is a doable combo but it will have to spin to get there! Good Luck!


    SOMEONE SAID YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU! SO,IM BURNING IT UP ONE GALLON AT A TIME!
    WT

    WFL Crew!!!

  9. #7
    058
    058 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sturat View Post
    Jon,
    I do not know what the heads flow yet. They are at the shop now and I should know in a few days.
    I was thinking that my comp will be in the 12 range after the swap as I am going from the large cc heads to a much smaller one. I think mine are like 95 now.
    just trying to wrap my head around all of this as I am a novice at this stuff.
    6600 is ok to spin this thing? seems like that is wound up for BBF?
    6600 rpm is a walk in the park...With decent v/springs I spin my 2 BBFs 7200 and 7500 respectivly [7200-T/T BBF 466" 37% o/d] [7500- N/A BBF 514" 22% o/d]
    Within the heart of every stray lies the singular desire to be loved. "Good grief you're an irritating blowhard...." [Tex 6/16/11]

  10. #8
    058
    058 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sturat View Post
    I have a 514 BBF just wondering if I could possibly get to 1.6HP per CI on a budget...
    I have right now in the motor forged flat tops
    Hydraulic roller
    .659 int .659 ex
    .050: 248 int 254 ex
    adv dur 303 int 309 ex
    110 lobe sep
    crapy pro-comps 10:5 comp ratio
    eagle 4340 crank
    eagle h beams
    All arp fasteners.
    dual QFT 750 offy tunnel ram
    OT headers
    I have come accross a good set (or so i am told)
    Alum SCJ heads with the 75 cc chambers.
    Just wondering if I swap the heads and maybe a cam swap could i get 1.6 HP per CI?
    I seriously doubt you'll make 822 hp on a budget with those Procomp heads. The SCJ with some rubbin' on will flow almost as good as out of the box P-51s. Swap the hyd. roller for a solid roller. What kind of boat is this going into?
    Within the heart of every stray lies the singular desire to be loved. "Good grief you're an irritating blowhard...." [Tex 6/16/11]

  11. #9
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 058 View Post
    I seriously doubt you'll make 822 hp on a budget with those Procomp heads. The SCJ with some rubbin' on will flow almost as good as out of the box P-51s. Swap the hyd. roller for a solid roller. What kind of boat is this going into?
    X2 on this...you're not going to use "budget" and 1.6 hp/ci in the same sentence. The hp/ci goal isn't anything elaborate but will take a well thought-out combination and real world cyl head info. You can get there with ~345-350 cfm intake flow, so don't think you have to go crazy with heads. You need "quality" flow, not quantity. The next most important piece will be the cam and valve train, matched to the heads, exhaust, compression and intended rpm. A good oil pan is also a must, as already mentioned.
    A build like this doesn't have to break the bank, but be ready to spend more than you anticipate.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  12. #10
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Widetrack View Post
    Sturat, I think Jon is talking about a real good oil pan! Steffs or B&B or? It is a doable combo but it will have to spin to get there! Good Luck!
    this old Dooley did well for years:


    It has baffles/trap doors only lost psi on heavy shut downs. It has a pretty good pick-up tube that goes with it.

    S CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  13. #11
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    The small Dooley is vastly superior to the T sump pan for controlling oil.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  14. #12
    JRPM/e-PerformanceMarine Squirtin Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bullhead City, AZ
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    The small Dooley is vastly superior to the T sump pan for controlling oil.
    I ran a 10qt Bassett just like that for years without the tray and it was great, no problems, we put the T/14qt in and all kindsof problems with oil presure.
    BTW- it seems we are making about 1.3hp per ci. We are turning a tight MPD A/B 6100rpms.

    BTW- Thanks Jon on the cam specs !
    Last edited by Squirtin Thunder; 04-24-2012 at 09:01 PM.
    Jim & Amanda Rich
    CJ 72 & 53c

    JR Performance Motorsports

  15. #13
    Senior Member sturat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    797

    Default

    My oil pan has all the doors and windage tray in it. I have never seen a problem with my oil pressure yet.. I have been running the pan for three years..

    I should have expalined myself better on the budget part of this, I am sorry for my vague statement in that regards.

    What i meant was using most of what i have already for the most part.. i.e. tunnel ram.. carbs rotaing assy, pistons.

    Figured i would have to see what the heads are doing, figured a swap to a soild roller would be in order..

    I was hoping that would be the only real expense?? i was told that the heads have been worked over pretty good but we all know how that goes.. One man's idea of extensive is another mans "did you even start"

    Thanks for the pointers and I guess I will have a better idea if my goal is doable afer the head info is obtained.. I would be happy if i get my mill to the 1.55 range.

    The boat i have for now is a Sanger Super Jet.
    Last edited by sturat; 04-25-2012 at 08:22 AM.
    Legalize the Constitution!

  16. #14
    Senior Member sturat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 058 View Post
    I seriously doubt you'll make 822 hp on a budget with those Procomp heads. The SCJ with some rubbin' on will flow almost as good as out of the box P-51s. Swap the hyd. roller for a solid roller. What kind of boat is this going into?
    I do know that for a fact it won't... I am in the 1.1 range with my current combo. I made a huge mistake with the heads on the original build.
    This was my first stab at a perforamcne build and I learned a valuable lesson for sure.
    Legalize the Constitution!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95