Magneto help
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 48

Thread:
Magneto help

  1. #1
    Senior Member rvrskir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    284

    Default Magneto help

    I have a mag on my boat that hooks up to a mag signal converter then to the tach. I just bought a new tach (old one didnt work). it starts off at the right RPM (for about 5-10 secs) then it starts moving up in RPMs then just dances all over. Is the tach set wrong or is the mag interfering with the signal?
    1973 Rogers Cyclone- 16' 6"- 350 SBC
    1976 Hondo Pantera- 18'- 455 BBO

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rvrskir View Post
    I have a mag on my boat that hooks up to a mag signal converter then to the tach. I just bought a new tach (old one didnt work). it starts off at the right RPM (for about 5-10 secs) then it starts moving up in RPMs then just dances all over. Is the tach set wrong or is the mag interfering with the signal?
    Whos mag and who signal converter. If MSD, what part number.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  4. #3
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,275

    Default

    I've been running mags for a long time and have tried atleast 3 different times to make the MSD & Autometer converters work without any success. I have one of the last mag tachs that autometer had on the shelf and dread the day it quits.
    This is the only alternative that I am aware of at this time.
    Tach Parts
    "if we keep doing it the same way we always do..we will always get the same results"
    H8-2-W8
    [email protected] first pass

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Tin foil hat....

    Try wrapping the converter box in tin foil. I was told those converters pick up ignition "noise" in the air.... It didn't work the only time I tried it, maybe the foil was too thin.... But that was Autometer's suggestion...
    I was un aware that Autometer quit selling "mag" tachs???

    Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  7. #5
    Senior Member rvrskir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Joe Hunt mag to an original suntach signal converter

    1973 Rogers Cyclone- 16' 6"- 350 SBC
    1976 Hondo Pantera- 18'- 455 BBO

  8. #6
    Senior Member rvrskir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    Posts
    284

    Default

    and now that i post that picture i think i might know why. Duh! gotta adjust the screw!!!
    1973 Rogers Cyclone- 16' 6"- 350 SBC
    1976 Hondo Pantera- 18'- 455 BBO

  9. #7
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    Try wrapping the converter box in tin foil. I was told those converters pick up ignition "noise" in the air.... It didn't work the only time I tried it, maybe the foil was too thin.... But that was Autometer's suggestion...
    I was un aware that Autometer quit selling "mag" tachs???

    Ray
    Yes , 5-6 yrs ago when I bought the recall tach for the mag in my boat the Tech from autometer told me that I was lucky to get it as they werent going to build them any longer and the one he was selling me was his last one. He said that there was some component in them that was just to expensive to build.
    "if we keep doing it the same way we always do..we will always get the same results"
    H8-2-W8
    [email protected] first pass

  10. #8
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rvrskir View Post
    Joe Hunt mag to an original suntach signal converter

    WOW!!!!! Where did you get THAT!!! I haven't seen one of those in 40 years.

    THAT IS NOT A MAG SIGNAL CONVERTER!!!!!!!!!!!

    Its signal box for a 60's Sun tach. In the olden days, tachs like the Sun required a seperate signal box to work. That box is useless for anything other than driving a Sun tach from a mag. If you're trying to run a modern tach with that box from a mag, it will not work. If you're trying to drive a Autometer tach, you need Autometer part # 9118


    If you ever run across a tach that looks like this, you have a converter drive box. The tach is useless without one, and the box is useless without the tach. This one is for a 12V ignition system, but the tach is the same. Only the signal box changed.




    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 05-11-2012 at 10:56 AM.

  11. #9
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    WOW!!!!! Where did you get THAT!!! I haven't seen one of those in 40 years.
    Correction... THOSE.

    Apparently he has a couple. One with a red tag and one with a yellow tag. By the looks of them, I'd say they're a product of the 1950's-early 60's. Reminds me of my dads American Flier train set transformer.

    Funny that the solution may have been as easy as reading the bold print on the unit. LOL We'll see I guess.

  12. #10
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hass828 View Post
    Yes , 5-6 yrs ago when I bought the recall tach for the mag in my boat the Tech from autometer told me that I was lucky to get it as they werent going to build them any longer and the one he was selling me was his last one. He said that there was some component in them that was just to expensive to build.
    when i first bought the sw 17 years ago, it had a autometer recall tach that worked just fine with the vertex mag that was on the engine. when i converted over to msd about 20 minutes after i got the boat, i sent the tach to autometer and they converted it to a "normal" tach. tach still works fine with msd. i would think they could convert it back if a person wanted them to.
    and the vertex is still in a box under the bench... best place for it...

  13. #11
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Budweiser View Post
    Correction... THOSE.

    Apparently he has a couple. One with a red tag and one with a yellow tag. By the looks of them, I'd say they're a product of the 1950's-early 60's. Reminds me of my dads American Flier train set transformer.

    Funny that the solution may have been as easy as reading the bold print on the unit. LOL We'll see I guess.
    Not real observant there Budweiser. I believe thats the same box, and the lighting makes it look different colors. Unless both boxes have an identicle rust makings on the signal trim srew.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  14. #12
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Not real observant there Budweiser. I believe thats the same box, and the lighting makes it look different colors. Unless both boxes have an identicle rust makings on the signal trim srew.
    Ah hah! Right you are... AGAIN.

  15. #13
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    when i first bought the sw 17 years ago, it had a autometer recall tach that worked just fine with the vertex mag that was on the engine. when i converted over to msd about 20 minutes after i got the boat, i sent the tach to autometer and they converted it to a "normal" tach. tach still works fine with msd. i would think they could convert it back if a person wanted them to.
    and the vertex is still in a box under the bench... best place for it...
    I'll take it off your hands if you think its of no use to anyone.
    "if we keep doing it the same way we always do..we will always get the same results"
    H8-2-W8
    [email protected] first pass

  16. #14
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    I think Bob is considering using it to build an electric chair for some rodents.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95