vacum pumps
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 16

Thread:
vacum pumps

  1. #1
    Senior Member tx-19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    wittmann,az
    Posts
    853

    Default vacum pumps

    do the vacum pumps work alot better than a evac system?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    Posts
    586

    Default

    Depends on the level of engine and what you are trying to accomplish with it. Trying to fix blowby or put the crankcase under a vacuum(depression)?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  4. #3
    ... Some Kind Of Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    2,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldelmn8tr View Post
    Depends on the level of engine and what you are trying to accomplish with it. Trying to fix blowby or put the crankcase under a vacuum(depression)?
    Ok so which is for what purpose and why?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tx-19 View Post
    do the vacum pumps work alot better than a evac system?
    For any hi-performance engine reving over 5,000 rpm's or so, that would be yes.

    Sleeper CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  7. #5
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    i'm runnin a large puke tank with 2 k&n breathers on it for low rpm windage control, and i just installed a mr.gasket evac kit (my upswepts came with the pipes installed already) for high rpm control, and it cured my oil spray issues. my motor was dry as could be today after runnin 2 nitrous bottles thru it yesterday and pass after pass in it. i'm runnin je nitrous rings with big gaps, as recommended by je for what i spray. stroker crank is making alot of windage in my motor. i run a decent pan with crank clearenced scaper, traps, etc, but i just could've stop the dip stick from blowing out a bit of oil when on the nitrous , even with the big puke tank. the combination of the puke and evacs are working great though the puke tank let's the motor pull in air when the evacs are working. sure i may be losing some hp not pulling vaccuum on the block, but i'm not runnin low tension rings either.
    hope that help ya man, just my recent experince and how i was able to deal with it i'll get a pic of my set-up if ya want.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  8. #6
    ... Some Kind Of Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    2,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPATIENT 1 View Post
    i'm runnin a large puke tank with 2 k&n breathers on it for low rpm windage control, and i just installed a mr.gasket evac kit (my upswepts came with the pipes installed already) for high rpm control, and it cured my oil spray issues. my motor was dry as could be today after runnin 2 nitrous bottles thru it yesterday and pass after pass in it. i'm runnin je nitrous rings with big gaps, as recommended by je for what i spray. stroker crank is making alot of windage in my motor. i run a decent pan with crank clearenced scaper, traps, etc, but i just could've stop the dip stick from blowing out a bit of oil when on the nitrous , even with the big puke tank. the combination of the puke and evacs are working great though the puke tank let's the motor pull in air when the evacs are working. sure i may be losing some hp not pulling vaccuum on the block, but i'm not runnin low tension rings either.
    hope that help ya man, just my recent experince and how i was able to deal with it i'll get a pic of my set-up if ya want.
    Please post it. I'm dealing with oil spray issues too.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  9. #7
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Some Kind Of Monster View Post
    Please post it. I'm dealing with oil spray issues too.
    i'll run out to my shop now and snap some pics. can't post them from here at home cause of the slow ass dial up but i'll post them from work in the a.m.. i haven't cleaned my boat since pulling it outta the lake so yall don't hassle me
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  10. #8
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    got a pic of my system, but like i figured, i can't load it from home i'll post in from work.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  11. #9
    Senior Member tx-19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    wittmann,az
    Posts
    853

    Default

    i had a issue this weekend,i ran it for a mile at about 6500 rpms.it built up so much crank pressure it blew the dipstick up and the breather out.wandering if the vacum pumps would help pull the crank pressure out better.i have the evac system now.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  12. #10
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    here's my set-up. yes the boat is dirty and needs polishing it got beat on hard this weekend and so did my liver, so i put off clean up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0633[1].jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	9368  
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  13. #11
    Distinguished Member David 519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    5,754

    Default

    In a drag race application, vacuum pumps are better and will usually (always?) make more consistant power than a pan evac. However, vacuum pumps do seem to pull more oil out of the pan and may not be the best choice in a lake application. We use an Aerospace pump and per the mfg, it pulls a few tbs of oil each pass. If you dont drain the tank frequently enough, it starts blowing out the breather in the tank. When we ran evacs, never seemed to pull oil, but kept the engine dry on the outside.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  14. #12
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Here is a little read on one:

    http://www.candsspecialties.com/store/html/pumppan.html

    I run one of their Carbs. There pump system isn't the prettiest I've seen but their carbs kick ass. I got the 565 to idle at 600 rpm's with their carb on it this weekend. Nearly no lope at 800 rpm's. What a "sleeper".

    If I had the room I'd be running a vac pump. I'm sure your 540 would benefit from one.

    You might also be able to better control the windage in you engine with a hi-quality oil pan something like what Chris Straub does.

    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  15. #13
    Senior Member tx-19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    wittmann,az
    Posts
    853

    Default

    i am running a 10 qt dooley pan.i have never had a issue before but i also didnt have as big of a motor.are the dooleys junk?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  16. #14
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tx-19 View Post
    i am running a 10 qt dooley pan.i have never had a issue before but i also didnt have as big of a motor.are the dooleys junk?
    For the most part no, but compared to this yes :



    Courtesy '76 Miller

    Sleeper CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95