scat cranks
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 82

Thread:
scat cranks

  1. #1
    Senior Member Ronboats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norcal-Santa Rosa
    Posts
    612

    Default scat cranks

    simple question-is a scat crank any good for...700 hp or so?
    468 bbc

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronboats View Post
    simple question-is a scat crank any good for...700 hp or so?
    468 bbc
    4340? EASY!!! Cast steel, marginal for the RPM you will have to spin a 468 to make 700HP.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  4. #3
    Senior Member Ronboats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norcal-Santa Rosa
    Posts
    612

    Default

    dont know if i will hit 700, but i dont want to use any junk. I am trying to justify buying a new rotating assembly rather than re-use whats in there now

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Pattymelt18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,623

    Default

    The scat 4340 i have made over 800 and worked for three years flawlessly . Im putting it back into service this year. I think the finish work is much better than an eagle. If you wqnt a great priced fully American forged crank contact jon partridge at bullet cams. They make great American products for a fair price. All there forgings are from Louisville foundry which was lunati got them from.

  7. #5
    Senior Member jimclauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mickleton, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronboats View Post
    dont know if i will hit 700, but i dont want to use any junk. I am trying to justify buying a new rotating assembly rather than re-use whats in there now
    Buy new

  8. #6
    Senior Member oldschool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    762

    Default

    What crank do you have? If it's forged Scat crank and is in good shape why not use it?

  9. #7
    Senior Member Ronboats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norcal-Santa Rosa
    Posts
    612

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    What crank do you have? If it's forged Scat crank and is in good shape why not use it?
    I dont know if it's forged.all i know is it says "scat" on it and it now has two spun rod bearings. I havent miked it yet,but it looks like it might be toast.
    One of the bearing shells(both halves#6) was in peices wadded up at the oil pick up. the # 5 shell was still around the crank.The rest of the bearings looked good.I'm thinking the side clearance on those two rods will be a little big after the bearing was sqeezed out ...(I didnt have the pistons out yet when I asked about scat cranks)

  10. #8
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronboats View Post
    I dont know if it's forged.all i know is it says "scat" on it and it now has two spun rod bearings. I havent miked it yet,but it looks like it might be toast.
    One of the bearing shells(both halves#6) was in peices wadded up at the oil pick up. the # 5 shell was still around the crank.The rest of the bearings looked good.I'm thinking the side clearance on those two rods will be a little big after the bearing was sqeezed out ...(I didnt have the pistons out yet when I asked about scat cranks)
    Stand the crank on the flywheel flange and tap the front counter weight with a hammer. If it rings like a bell, its forged. If its a dull thud, its cast.

    Those two rods are probably toast as well. If the crank needs to be turned more than .010, your better off junking it. You could buy a whole 496 rotator and gain some power at the same time.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 05-25-2012 at 04:01 PM.

  11. #9
    Senior Member Ronboats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norcal-Santa Rosa
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Stand the crank on the flywheel flange and tap the front counter weight with a hammer. If it rings like a bell, its forged. If its a dull thud, its cast.

    Those two rods are probably toast as well. If the crank needs to be turned more than .010, your better off junking it. You could buy a whole 496 rotator and gain some power at the same time.
    I was thinking the same thing.I was told about assemblies from White perfomance. Any other companies you would suggest?

  12. #10
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronboats View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.I was told about assemblies from White perfomance. Any other companies you would suggest?
    Drop Steelcomp (member) a PM. He is in your neck of the woods. He can set you up with a Scat rotator, balanced if desired.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  13. #11
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    gn, santa rosa and nipomo aren't quite in the same neck of the woods. it would have to be a very long neck.

  14. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    58

    Default 468 bbc

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronboats View Post
    dont know if i will hit 700, but i dont want to use any junk. I am trying to justify buying a new rotating assembly rather than re-use whats in there now
    i run a 468 bbc brodix heads,gm block std,4500 series carb 1050cfm,roller makes 886hp at 7000rpm

  15. #13
    Senior Member EdonShano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arroyo Grande
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    gn, santa rosa and nipomo aren't quite in the same neck of the woods. It would have to be a very long neck.
    it's close enough..ups can make the stretch real easy
    Formally know as UNFORGIVEN...

  16. #14
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dynodanbbc View Post
    i run a 468 bbc brodix heads,gm block std,4500 series carb 1050cfm,roller makes 886hp at 7000rpm
    That's pretty stout for a 468 with a single carb at only 7000.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95