reading plugs on blown bbc
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread:
reading plugs on blown bbc

  1. #1
    Senior Member stallion176's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    479

    Default reading plugs on blown bbc

    Educate me on reading the plugs on my twin turbo blow thru 496setup. I want to know what why and where

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    http://www.performanceboats.com/dyno...info-only.html
    Click the link (it's the first sticky thread in the dyno section) and scroll down...
    There are 3 or 4 links to some very good info.

    Good luck!
    -Seth-
    Last edited by Budweiser; 05-30-2012 at 08:44 AM.

  4. #3
    Senior Member ap67et10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chico, Ca
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    reading plugs and understanding what is going on both with fuel control and timing is absolutely a great skill to have. I know I've said it many times, but with your setup, you need to buy a wideband O2 sensor/gauge/logger. That engine will melt faster than you could ever react to, get the right stuff to help prevent that from happening.

    BTW: I still pull and read plugs when doing street or lake tuning, and I always run a wideband. I still like looking at them, especially for dialing in ignition timing AFTER I've got the AFR exactly where I want it on a WOT pass. And remember the main key to reading plugs is getting a brand new set to put in right before a WOT pass, then shutting it down as quickly as you SAFELY can. Then see what the plugs say about your timing...with a wideband the porcelain ring doesn't matter.



    Andrew

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member stallion176's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ap67et10 View Post
    reading plugs and understanding what is going on both with fuel control and timing is absolutely a great skill to have. I know I've said it many times, but with your setup, you need to buy a wideband O2 sensor/gauge/logger. That engine will melt faster than you could ever react to, get the right stuff to help prevent that from happening.

    BTW: I still pull and read plugs when doing street or lake tuning, and I always run a wideband. I still like looking at them, especially for dialing in ignition timing AFTER I've got the AFR exactly where I want it on a WOT pass. And remember the main key to reading plugs is getting a brand new set to put in right before a WOT pass, then shutting it down as quickly as you SAFELY can. Then see what the plugs say about your timing...with a wideband the porcelain ring doesn't matter.



    Andrew
    Thanks for the help... I'm going tto get a new set. I do run the lm-2 and datalog airfuel. It is 11.5/7 wot . Never seen 12's. I just worry bout detonation.

  7. #5
    Senior Member ap67et10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chico, Ca
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stallion176 View Post
    Thanks for the help... I'm going tto get a new set. I do run the lm-2 and datalog airfuel. It is 11.5/7 wot . Never seen 12's. I just worry bout detonation.

    whats static compression ratio? how much boost? what kind of fuel? how much total timing?

  8. #6
    Senior Member stallion176's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    479

    Default

    9.5:1 straight 100ll avgas, 8lbs of boost in mandifold, timing at 26 but its lazy and I want to wake it up with some timing .496 CI twin turbo in a jet with intercoolers.

  9. #7
    Senior Member ap67et10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chico, Ca
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stallion176 View Post
    9.5:1 straight 100ll avgas, 8lbs of boost in mandifold, timing at 26 but its lazy and I want to wake it up with some timing .496 CI twin turbo in a jet with intercoolers.

    that's a good setup, it'll probably like a little more timing, but that was a very smart and safe place to start. 11.5-7:1 is a good safe AFR, you are likely leaving some power on the table, but there is nothing wrong with those numbers, I do not like seeing anything in the 10's, but high 11's is great for safety, most of my stuff ends up in the low 12's. go get yourself a few sets of plugs, take your time and read the ground strap for heat strip location. Also, it is good to know and document the current top speed and rpm. As you advance the timing in 1-2 degrees increments watch and see if there are significant speed/rpm increase, as this will also help confirm you are making good changes. Validate these changes by reading the plugs, and as you are making these timing advance increases, once you see small or no increases in performance, stop....and maybe pull a degree or 2 out to keep it safe, then also confirm with plug ground strap reading. The biggest thing is patience! Go slow, make very small changes and you will have no problems getting that thing to run hard and consistent.


    Andrew

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95