Camshaft suggestions?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 27

Thread:
Camshaft suggestions?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Ronboats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norcal-Santa Rosa
    Posts
    612

    Default Camshaft suggestions?

    I am currently rebuilding my BBC To 496 CI.
    It is going in a 73 Hondo flatbottem v-drive.
    I currently have 049 heads, but plan on upgrading to more hi-po heads in the future.
    I am looking at a rotating assembly with all forged parts at about 10-1 comp.
    I would like to get some suggestions for a solid flat tappet cam.
    I am hoping the boat will go between 90 and 100 mph.(90 would be just fine)
    Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Here is what you up against. What the oval port 049 heads want and what a set of 305 AFRs want is considerably different. What intake are you running/plan to run. Carbs? Exhaust type.
    You would be better off running the cam you have until you have all the pieces you will have when your done. Chasing thr combo with the camshaft won't be any worse than running that cam.
    A set of AFRs might make use of a .700 lift roller and a T ram, but its wrong for a set of 049 heads and a dual plane single carb.

    You can't buy a set of heads because someday you hope to build a 588, but for now you what to use them on a 454. Its the same with the cam.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Here is what you up against. What the oval port 049 heads want and what a set of 305 AFRs want is considerably different. What intake are you running/plan to run. Carbs? Exhaust type.
    You would be better off running the cam you have until you have all the pieces you will have when your done. Chasing thr combo with the camshaft won't be any worse than running that cam.
    A set of AFRs might make use of a .700 lift roller and a T ram, but its wrong for a set of 049 heads and a dual plane single carb.

    You can't buy a set of heads because someday you hope to build a 588, but for now you what to use them on a 454. Its the same with the cam.
    Good post Bob...

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Ronboats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norcal-Santa Rosa
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Here is what you up against. What the oval port 049 heads want and what a set of 305 AFRs want is considerably different. What intake are you running/plan to run. Carbs? Exhaust type.
    You would be better off running the cam you have until you have all the pieces you will have when your done. Chasing thr combo with the camshaft won't be any worse than running that cam.
    A set of AFRs might make use of a .700 lift roller and a T ram, but its wrong for a set of 049 heads and a dual plane single carb.

    You can't buy a set of heads because someday you hope to build a 588, but for now you what to use them on a 454. Its the same with the cam.
    I get what your saying,but here is more info anyway.
    offy t-ram with dual 750 dp carbs.bassett headers,magnito ignition

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Well, yeah, but....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronboats View Post
    I get what your saying,but here is more info anyway.
    offy t-ram with dual 750 dp carbs.bassett headers,magnito ignition
    All of that is cool, but, as Bob said, it is the cylinder heads that will dictate which cam you buy/run... AND, as Bob said, save your lunch money until you can afford the heads and a roller cam if you really want to wake that flatbottom up. You CAN run what you have for now with the new rotating assembly, and save the cam money for a better choice later.....
    Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  8. #6
    Senior Member md-11mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Thousand Oaks Ca
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronboats View Post
    I get what your saying,but here is more info anyway.
    offy t-ram with dual 750 dp carbs.bassett headers,magnito ignition
    Take a look at GN7 post again. It doesnt matter, with the heads they become 2 DIFFERENT ENGINES with 2 DIFFERENT CAM NEEDS! You have oval port heads, is the tunnel an oval port intake or rectangular? The combution chamber will be differnt sizes more than likely which will change the compression which will change what you can do with the cam. Money wold be better served building the future engine now, other wise you are going to be throwng a lot of money down a hole here. Just my opinion too but but 2 750s on a tunnel over 049 heads sounds like about 1 to many 750's unless you are going to run this thing above 6500 rpm on a regular basis at that point to you are just begining to tape into the next 750. This being said, will the engine ever make it to those rpms.
    Disclaimer here to I know we all watch hot rod tv and these guys throw parts at a car and then throw it on a dyno and wow 100 hp. First off all these mods dont add to what their single hp claim. 100 hp head and a 30 hp carb may buy you 105 hp togather. Now back to the top, imagine what this engine would do had they put a cam in that was made to extract every drop out of what those 1500 dollar heads are capable of?

  9. #7
    Senior Member md-11mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Thousand Oaks Ca
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronboats View Post
    I am currently rebuilding my BBC To 496 CI.
    It is going in a 73 Hondo flatbottem v-drive.
    I currently have 049 heads, but plan on upgrading to more hi-po heads in the future.
    I am looking at a rotating assembly with all forged parts at about 10-1 comp.
    I would like to get some suggestions for a solid flat tappet cam.
    I am hoping the boat will go between 90 and 100 mph.(90 would be just fine)
    Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
    Dont mean to double post but if you dont want to listen please call Comp Cams in memphis or call your lick of cam makers and tell them your plans. I promise they will tell you exaclty what has been said here. But they all have good tech departments and they can grind you what every they think will work best for your combination. There are also some good cam grinders that you can take your cam to and it can be reground for a lot cheaper than a new cam, provided it is in good shape.

  10. #8
    Senior Member ontheNOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Inland Empire
    Posts
    298

    Default hehe

    They're right on the cylinder head issue. Them 049 heads are like smog heads, not meant to make power. Therefore if you had to use the 049 heads to get in the water for now, you would gain horsepower by using a single plane intake and one of those 750 carbs. You'd also save gas by a shit load lol. Therefore lunch money bucket would fill sooner. I just built a 511 CI BBC for my Daytona and had a tunnel ram with two 1050's. After flowing heads and intake and carbs, I found that a super victor single plane made more power with one 1050 carb than the tunnel ram with two carbs. It's easy to put that beautiful tunnel ram and two 1050's on there but 90 % of the boats out there with that combo are just wasting gas and drowning the motor out. Hope that helps

  11. #9
    Senior Member Ronboats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norcal-Santa Rosa
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    All of that is cool, but, as Bob said, it is the cylinder heads that will dictate which cam you buy/run... AND, as Bob said, save your lunch money until you can afford the heads and a roller cam if you really want to wake that flatbottom up. You CAN run what you have for now with the new rotating assembly, and save the cam money for a better choice later.....
    Ray
    Thanks for the input Ray. I think I will wait on the new cam for now as you suggested,and use the 049 heads and tunnel ram/carbs that I already have for now.I hate to build a motor that will be kind of half-ass,but thats the only way the boat will see the lake this year.

  12. #10
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronboats View Post
    Thanks for the input Ray. I think I will wait on the new cam for now as you suggested,and use the 049 heads and tunnel ram/carbs that I already have for now.I hate to build a motor that will be kind of half-ass,but thats the only way the boat will see the lake this year.
    Why do you think a 496 with that came will be "half ass"? You seem to have it in your mind that the size of the enigne is the criteria for chosing a camshaft. Its only one small part. You have NONE of the other parts to consider a larger cam. If the T ram is a oval port ram, you are going to need to get a different manifold, or get a set of oval port heads. Which may not be all that bad of idea either, depending on the rest of the build. Your not building an engine half ass, your building a short block and topping it with what you have. Whats the big deal?

    You don't build a house starting with the roof.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  13. #11
    Senior Member Ronboats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norcal-Santa Rosa
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Why do you think a 496 with that came will be "half ass"? You seem to have it in your mind that the size of the enigne is the criteria for chosing a camshaft. Its only one small part. You have NONE of the other parts to consider a larger cam. If the T ram is a oval port ram, you are going to need to get a different manifold, or get a set of oval port heads. Which may not be all that bad of idea either, depending on the rest of the build. Your not building an engine half ass, your building a short block and topping it with what you have. Whats the big deal?

    You don't build a house starting with the roof.
    What I meant was exactly what you just said-I dont have the heads or carb/manifold combo to get the most out of the shortblock.
    Thats all I meant by "half ass".I plan on getting a decent set of aluminum heads and different carb/manifold in the future,but money is tight right now and my toys are kind of on the back burner. I'm ok with using what I have for now.

  14. #12
    Senior Member Ronboats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norcal-Santa Rosa
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ontheNOS View Post
    They're right on the cylinder head issue. Them 049 heads are like smog heads, not meant to make power. Therefore if you had to use the 049 heads to get in the water for now, you would gain horsepower by using a single plane intake and one of those 750 carbs. You'd also save gas by a shit load lol. Therefore lunch money bucket would fill sooner. I just built a 511 CI BBC for my Daytona and had a tunnel ram with two 1050's. After flowing heads and intake and carbs, I found that a super victor single plane made more power with one 1050 carb than the tunnel ram with two carbs. It's easy to put that beautiful tunnel ram and two 1050's on there but 90 % of the boats out there with that combo are just wasting gas and drowning the motor out. Hope that helps
    Since I cant afford to buy new heads and manifold and carb right now,I might try an experament with what I already have when I get the new shortblock done. what do you think about removing the secondary linkage rod on both carbs-.basically leaving me with one 750? That wouldn't cost any thing to try.

  15. #13
    Senior Member md-11mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Thousand Oaks Ca
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronboats View Post
    Since I cant afford to buy new heads and manifold and carb right now,I might try an experament with what I already have when I get the new shortblock done. what do you think about removing the secondary linkage rod on both carbs-.basically leaving me with one 750? That wouldn't cost any thing to try.
    OK I am be taking this literally and you may be kidding but just in case I for sure dont think that will work.

  16. #14
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronboats View Post
    Since I cant afford to buy new heads and manifold and carb right now,I might try an experament with what I already have when I get the new shortblock done. what do you think about removing the secondary linkage rod on both carbs-.basically leaving me with one 750? That wouldn't cost any thing to try.
    You'll lose. Any decent BBC needs more than 750. Leave the carbs as is. If you decided to build a 496, do it, and just stay with the cam and top end you have. I guarantee the 496 will run better than the 454 with all the same stuff including the cam. When you get some more cash, buy the heads and cam and maybe a manifold. There are thousands of 496s out there with oval port heads and solid flat tappet cams. This will give you some idea of what is possible with a 496 and oval port heads and the right cam with a single 4 barrel.
    I am not suggesting you take this path, but it shows you there is nothing wrong with oval ports 496. It has more cam, and it is a roller, but the heads have been ported too. THE CAM MATCHES THE HEADS AND C.I.D. AND RPM/INTENDED USE.

    LINK: Vortec Pro 496



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95