[Question] Generic spark plug question
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread:
Generic spark plug question

  1. #1
    Senior Member orange bahner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Posts
    196

    Default Generic spark plug question

    Will a hotter plug be more likely to create detenation? Example I have been looking at NGK iridium plugs for a 468BBC I have been running R43TS delco and am looking at NGK UR4IX (R44TS) or UR5IX (R43TS)There are no currect signs of detenation on the current R43TS plugs but I noticed some black soot on them. The factory 425HP 454's use one step hotter plug.
    Break Out AnotherThousand


    A good friend will comes bail you out of jail, BUT a True friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn we f#*ked up"

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member ap67et10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chico, Ca
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orange bahner View Post
    Will a hotter plug be more likely to create detenation? Example I have been looking at NGK iridium plugs for a 468BBC I have been running R43TS delco and am looking at NGK UR4IX (R44TS) or UR5IX (R43TS)There are no currect signs of detenation on the current R43TS plugs but I noticed some black soot on them. The factory 425HP 454's use one step hotter plug.


    first off, why in the world would you want iridium plugs for you BBC? Exotic metal plugs are only for longevity. They are the reason new cars have 100k mile service intervals for spark plugs. You are better off with the copper V power NGK's. Also, yes, "hotter plugs" simply dissipate less heat as the porcelain has less surface area touching the metal body. This causes the ends of the plugs to retain more heat, which makes you more susceptible to detonation.

    Messing with plug heat range is one of the last things you should do, after you know the tune is correct (that means wideband O2 or precision spark plug reading to get A/F ratio correct and timing correct), unless of course you are having fouling issues you know are being caused by having too cold a plug. Some soot on the plug is not a reason to change heat ranges, especially since it sounds like you simply pulled the plugs after extended use and saw this soot.



    Andrew

  4. #3
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ap67et10 View Post
    some soot on the plug is not a reason to change heat ranges, especially since it sounds like you simply pulled the plugs after extended use and saw this soot.



    Andrew

    ding ding ding!!!!!!!




    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member orange bahner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ap67et10 View Post
    first off, why in the world would you want iridium plugs for you BBC? Exotic metal plugs are only for longevity. They are the reason new cars have 100k mile service intervals for spark plugs. You are better off with the copper V power NGK's. Also, yes, "hotter plugs" simply dissipate less heat as the porcelain has less surface area touching the metal body. This causes the ends of the plugs to retain more heat, which makes you more susceptible to detonation.

    Messing with plug heat range is one of the last things you should do, after you know the tune is correct (that means wideband O2 or precision spark plug reading to get A/F ratio correct and timing correct), unless of course you are having fouling issues you know are being caused by having too cold a plug. Some soot on the plug is not a reason to change heat ranges, especially since it sounds like you simply pulled the plugs after extended use and saw this soot.



    Andrew
    You answered my question Thank you
    Break Out AnotherThousand


    A good friend will comes bail you out of jail, BUT a True friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn we f#*ked up"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95