compression rings??
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread:
compression rings??

  1. #1
    Senior Member $uperJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    385

    Default compression rings??

    about to assemble my BBF460 and was just cleaning and prepping the parts. started to pull the first ring off the pistons and noticed there is a small chamfer on one side of the ring on the inside. so i noted how it was in relation to the piston and pulled the second ring. there is also a chamfer on this ring but it was different in orientation. seems pretty straight forward so far but on piston #3 the chamfer is the other way. some on top ring are on top, some are on bottom. second ring same thing. some are up and some are down.

    the box of new rings state what is second ring and what is first but does not determine where the groove goes in relation to the piston. is there a correct way that these go? being that half the things about this engine seem askew i would assume the last builder didnt really have all the info needed to do it correctly.

    any words of advise here?

    thanks
    Joe

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    LP-25.com Infomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    16,855

    Default

    Top ring chamfer up second ring chamfer down.
    If For Some Reason I Do Something Worthy Of Recognition. God Provided The Ability And Deserves The Credit.


    QE 439 Twin Turbo

  4. #3
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by $uperJoe View Post
    about to assemble my BBF460 and was just cleaning and prepping the parts. started to pull the first ring off the pistons and noticed there is a small chamfer on one side of the ring on the inside. so i noted how it was in relation to the piston and pulled the second ring. there is also a chamfer on this ring but it was different in orientation. seems pretty straight forward so far but on piston #3 the chamfer is the other way. some on top ring are on top, some are on bottom. second ring same thing. some are up and some are down.

    the box of new rings state what is second ring and what is first but does not determine where the groove goes in relation to the piston. is there a correct way that these go? being that half the things about this engine seem askew i would assume the last builder didnt really have all the info needed to do it correctly.

    any words of advise here?

    thanks
    Joe
    Like Info posted, top ring chamfer up, second ring chamfer down. There should also be a dot or some marking on the ring. That mark faces up.
    I find it hard to believe there was not some paper in the rings package explaining this.
    Whos rings are they?



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member $uperJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    385

    Default

    thanks

  7. #5
    Senior Member $uperJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    385

    Default

    good call gn7. there was a paper. it was under the oil rings in the other side of the package. i hadnt opened that side of the box yet. they are standard MAHLE rings from napa.

    i got all the rings off except one piston. these things are stuck in there good. i cant even wedge a pick between the crack. this piston pushed right out with no effort when i removed it as the rings were ceased in the grooves. any tips on how to remove these without damaging the aluminum?

  8. #6
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by $uperJoe View Post
    good call gn7. there was a paper. it was under the oil rings in the other side of the package. i hadnt opened that side of the box yet. they are standard MAHLE rings from napa.

    i got all the rings off except one piston. these things are stuck in there good. i cant even wedge a pick between the crack. this piston pushed right out with no effort when i removed it as the rings were ceased in the grooves. any tips on how to remove these without damaging the aluminum?
    Hey Joe. You really need to do alittle research on why they are stuck so bad! Damage to the top of the piston crushing the ring lands or maybe water contamination. If the piston has tightened ring lands you could turn out with another rebuild. Just to explain the only reason for stuck rings is rusted in or collapsed ring lands! Good luck! Mark

  9. #7
    058
    058 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,115

    Default

    Rings stuck? The 1st thing I'd look at is the piston's ring lands and their condition. If the lands are less than perfect a new set of pistons is in your future, or should be.
    Within the heart of every stray lies the singular desire to be loved. "Good grief you're an irritating blowhard...." [Tex 6/16/11]

  10. #8
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 058 View Post
    Rings stuck? The 1st thing I'd look at is the piston's ring lands and their condition. If the lands are less than perfect a new set of pistons is in your future, or should be.
    Kinda what I said! Mark

  11. #9
    Senior Member $uperJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    385

    Default

    looks like that one piston must have had water in it at one time. the rings look rusted in the lands. once some of it broke out, i can fit a different one in the land and it is tight but not stuck. it will rotate as it does on the other pistons, but not sloppy up and down.

    if i needed a new piston how do i measure the dish on the top so i can buy a replacement from summit?
    its a factory ford piston
    D3VE-AA

    i think its either one of these but can not find a difference in the two except price

    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLP-H418P/
    or

    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLP-H418CP/

  12. #10
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    The second part number that ends CP is a coated skirt piston. Thats what the "C" is in the part #



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  13. #11
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    HEY Joe. Spend alittle time and clean up the ring land before tossing the whole set. I would not replace the whole set unless the bad one cant be repaired! They make ring land cleaners that I am not a big fan of but a soak in a good cleaner and some time with a stiff brush may save you a few bucks! You can always take an old ring "broken" and scrape the land lightly in a solvent to refresh the land. OR toss another few bucks at a set of pistons and move forward? Mark

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95