burning used oil
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread:
burning used oil

  1. #1
    Senior Member alkyexpress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orangevale CA
    Posts
    633

    Default burning used oil

    Hey Guys

    I have a shitload of used motor oil from my 18-wheeler , I want to burn it along with my fuel (in the 18-wheeler) ,
    I have heard to run 2-5% used oil with fresh fuel ,

    Questions : (1) my fuel filter is napa gold 3674 (2-10 micron) , If I filter the oil with a oil filter to 20 micron ,that should get rid of most of the shit,
    (1) but how bad Is the Carbon in the oil going to be on the engine ?
    (2) how could I filter the carbon out ?
    (3) what micron would it take to do that ? ( carbon )
    (4) was told to run it through a Sand filter (crushed sand is to scrub the carbon off the oil) , tried this , but didn't have fine enough sand . Heard of this ??
    (5) what about diatomaceas earth ( used in swimming pool filters ), would this work to remove carbon??

    Thanks in advance ................ Eric
    [QUOTE=J Shelfo; My all time favorite quote; Flatbottoms are like shopping carts, every once in a while, you get a good one.....

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alkyexpress View Post
    Hey Guys

    I have a shitload of used motor oil from my 18-wheeler , I want to burn it along with my fuel (in the 18-wheeler) ,
    I have heard to run 2-5% used oil with fresh fuel ,

    Questions : (1) my fuel filter is napa gold 3674 (2-10 micron) , If I filter the oil with a oil filter to 20 micron ,that should get rid of most of the shit,
    (1) but how bad Is the Carbon in the oil going to be on the engine ?
    (2) how could I filter the carbon out ?
    (3) what micron would it take to do that ? ( carbon )
    (4) was told to run it through a Sand filter (crushed sand is to scrub the carbon off the oil) , tried this , but didn't have fine enough sand . Heard of this ??
    (5) what about diatomaceas earth ( used in swimming pool filters ), would this work to remove carbon??

    Thanks in advance ................ Eric
    The biggest issue with carbon is its abrasive as hell and as hard as....well, diamonds. If it was going to be hard on simething, my first guess would be the injectors. Like shooting sand thru a nozzle for sandblasting. They are ceramic, and they still don't last all that long.
    Not sure how the pump will take it, but first concern would be the injectors.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  4. #3
    SDBA #819 vdrivegrimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    276

    Default

    I only run atf in mine. There are a ton of old rigs out there that use old oil.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member alkyexpress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orangevale CA
    Posts
    633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    The biggest issue with carbon is its abrasive as hell and as hard as....well, diamonds. If it was going to be hard on simething, my first guess would be the injectors. Like shooting sand thru a nozzle for sandblasting. They are ceramic, and they still don't last all that long.
    Not sure how the pump will take it, but first concern would be the injectors.
    The motor is a old mechanical Caterpillar , Ok just put in new injectors,

    How could I get the carbon out of the oil ????

    Quote Originally Posted by vdrivegrimes View Post
    I only run atf in mine. There are a ton of old rigs out there that use old oil.
    Yeah , I burned it in my old Cummins , but Would like to burn it up , (free miles ),,,,lol,, ....... E
    [QUOTE=J Shelfo; My all time favorite quote; Flatbottoms are like shopping carts, every once in a while, you get a good one.....

  7. #5
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alkyexpress View Post
    The motor is a old mechanical Caterpillar , Ok just put in new injectors,

    How could I get the carbon out of the oil ????
    Not saying it will hurt the injectors. Just saying they would be the most suceptible to the carbon in my opinion.
    There are some pretty fine filters out there like the Amsoil EaO filters. Almost any of the Extended Use filters have a pretty fine synthetic media that does a pretty good job of filtering. They aren't the cheapest filters, but you could probably use one to filter one hell of a lot of oil before it clogged and slowed down. Biggest thing is to be sure you get one with no bypass.
    I've used absolute filter bags from McmasterCarr to filter gylcol before. Hung them over a 55 gal barrel and pure the gylcol in and let it drain thru. A friend does something similar for bio diesel. They are rated down to 1 micron if you think you need it. Its slow, but they filter pretty damn good.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  8. #6
    Senior Member alkyexpress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orangevale CA
    Posts
    633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Not saying it will hurt the injectors. Just saying they would be the most suceptible to the carbon in my opinion.
    There are some pretty fine filters out there like the Amsoil EaO filters. Almost any of the Extended Use filters have a pretty fine synthetic media that does a pretty good job of filtering. They aren't the cheapest filters, but you could probably use one to filter one hell of a lot of oil before it clogged and slowed down. Biggest thing is to be sure you get one with no bypass.
    I've used absolute filter bags from McmasterCarr to filter gylcol before. Hung them over a 55 gal barrel and pure the gylcol in and let it drain thru. A friend does something similar for bio diesel. They are rated down to 1 micron if you think you need it. Its slow, but they filter pretty damn good.

    At 1 micron would that take the carbon out ? would the oil look new ?
    [QUOTE=J Shelfo; My all time favorite quote; Flatbottoms are like shopping carts, every once in a while, you get a good one.....

  9. #7
    Senior Member Flat BROKE 612's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bumblefvck PEI
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Google "ALFA LAVAL CENTRIFUGAL PURIFIERS" ... prob cost more than you would save burning the oil though...
    If you love someone set them free, If they come back with the cops...RUN!!!

  10. #8
    LP-25.com Infomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    16,855

    Default

    Waste oil heater in the work shop.
    If For Some Reason I Do Something Worthy Of Recognition. God Provided The Ability And Deserves The Credit.


    QE 439 Twin Turbo

  11. #9
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flat BROKE 612 View Post
    Google "ALFA LAVAL CENTRIFUGAL PURIFIERS" ... prob cost more than you would save burning the oil though...
    Back in '85 I did some work on Adak Island on the the Aleutian chain in Alaska. The entire island was a Navy base and they only had 2 fuels on the island. Regular grade gasoline and J5 jet. Boilers, turbine generators, heavy equipment, every thing that would normally run on fuel oil or diesel ran the J5. If it ran on diesel, then they fueled it with J5 and added motor oil to the tank. All the motor oil they added was used, and every pit went thru a centrifugal purifier. But then, that was the Navy and the purifiers were common to them. But the things do scrub the oil clean!



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  12. #10
    Platinum Member BigSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Close to the water...
    Posts
    2,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Back in '85 I did some work on Adak Island on the the Aleutian chain in Alaska. The entire island was a Navy base and they only had 2 fuels on the island. Regular grade gasoline and J5 jet. Boilers, turbine generators, heavy equipment, every thing that would normally run on fuel oil or diesel ran the J5. If it ran on diesel, then they fueled it with J5 and added motor oil to the tank. All the motor oil they added was used, and every pit went thru a centrifugal purifier. But then, that was the Navy and the purifiers were common to them. But the things do scrub the oil clean!
    My grandfather was in charge of the Santa Monica Blue Bus system, He ran jet fuel in the fleet of detroit diesels just thru in some trans fluid with it. Burns cleaner and hotter than pump #2
    If you ain't the lead dog the view is always the same !

  13. #11
    LAID IN MEXICO
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    santa paula, ca
    Posts
    750

    Default jp

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Back in '85 I did some work on Adak Island on the the Aleutian chain in Alaska. The entire island was a Navy base and they only had 2 fuels on the island. Regular grade gasoline and J5 jet. Boilers, turbine generators, heavy equipment, every thing that would normally run on fuel oil or diesel ran the J5. If it ran on diesel, then they fueled it with J5 and added motor oil to the tank. All the motor oil they added was used, and every pit went thru a centrifugal purifier. But then, that was the Navy and the purifiers were common to them. But the things do scrub the oil clean!
    we ran jp5 and jp8 in all our diesel equip in the marine corp., when i was in japan and thailand. never added chit to it. maintenance manuals said it would reduce the engine life by something like 25%. it was just too easy to run the same fuel we put in the aircraft. any time we had harriers, they would break or crash so much, we were constantly left with thousands of gallons of extra fuel. we would burn a little our selves, then find a big bird, or someone with a bird on his collar that wanted to waste a bunch. usually pretty easy to find someone to take the fuel.

  14. #12
    Senior Member tkriley13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,013

    Default

    My buddy works for Cat and burns his personal used motor oil in his service truck which is powered by a Duramax..... couple of years and there hasnt been any issues. 1 quart per tank of fuel...
    His dad runs his used motor oil in his semi but I dont know ratio he uses...

  15. #13
    Super Moderator HammerDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Right Coast/SE-PA
    Posts
    5,488

    Default

    Sure you can use/burn it > however, expect shortened life span from the injectors and IP...as it will be an abrasive.
    <img src=http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/06-30-11_1234.jpg border=0 alt= />

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95