twin turbo timing
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 15

Thread:
twin turbo timing

  1. #1
    Senior Member TTspectra20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Bay of L.A. CA.
    Posts
    499

    Default twin turbo timing

    where should i set my timing ?
    468 twin turbo 12-15lbs boost
    marine msd 6
    msd pro billet locked out
    av gas
    set timing at 30 seems a bit sluggish on the trailer only revved it to 3000 haven't had it in the water yet won't really know till tomorrow.
    Last edited by TTspectra20; 07-19-2012 at 11:49 AM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member stallion176's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    479

    Default

    I run 32 degrees locked at 18lbs of boost with no retard. I also run c16 tho
    Youngblood TX-20 Twin Turbo 496ci bbc {TURBO BOYZ}

  4. #3
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TTspectra20 View Post
    where should i set my timing ?
    468 twin turbo 12-15lbs boost
    marine msd 6
    msd pro billet locked out
    av gas
    set timing at 30 seems a bit sluggish on the trailer only revved it to 3000 haven't had it in the water yet won't really know till tomorrow.
    What the static compression? What fuel? What heads? How much heat do you run in the engine? If you have mechanical advance in the distributer it will be a little sluggish till your all in. I prefer locked out. It will run the best if you will lock the distributer, then use the start retard function to get the engine started. Set the timing at 36* and start pulling timing after you get to 4-6psi of boost then pull it back to about 28*. this is all assuming you are around 9-1 static and intercooled on premium pump and aluminum heads with a reasonably cool engine temp. If higher static or no cooler, hotter engine, iron heads, then you'll need to be more conservative. JMHO.
    "if we keep doing it the same way we always do..we will always get the same results"
    H8-2-W8
    [email protected] first pass

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stallion176 View Post
    I run 32 degrees locked at 18lbs of boost with no retard. I also run c16 tho
    Yes, and being as your intercooled,aluminum heads,and cool engine temps you could probably sneak your timing up to 35-36* on the C-16 and be fine. 1 degree at a time while watching your plugs & the tach, if you see a loss of rpms or pepper the plugs back the timing back out a degree & call it a day. Make sure the carb & a/f ratio are perfectly under control first. You'll find that it will be much more responsive with the timing in it. And you'll need to really keep your foot out of it if cruising around on pump gas.
    Last edited by Hass828; 07-20-2012 at 04:21 AM.
    "if we keep doing it the same way we always do..we will always get the same results"
    H8-2-W8
    [email protected] first pass

  7. #5
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TTspectra20 View Post
    where should i set my timing ?
    468 twin turbo 12-15lbs boost
    marine msd 6
    msd pro billet locked out
    av gas
    set timing at 30 seems a bit sluggish on the trailer only revved it to 3000 haven't had it in the water yet won't really know till tomorrow.
    I would put it on the water before adding more timing, I raced my Schiada with 30-31 degrees with a 505 cubic inch engine with a Gentry kit on it. If you have a transmission in the boat I think you will find that it's great, find a good shift point that loads the engine right and you can leave as hard as you would want in that cruiser.

  8. #6
    LP-25.com Infomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    16,855

    Default

    I learned the semi hard way that aftermarket Chevy heads require a lesser amount of timing.

    I'm on kill at 31 degrees on methanol with 9.4:1 compression.
    If For Some Reason I Do Something Worthy Of Recognition. God Provided The Ability And Deserves The Credit.


    QE 439 Twin Turbo

  9. #7
    Highaboosta Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ada, Michigan
    Posts
    3,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stallion176 View Post
    I run 32 degrees locked at 18lbs of boost with no retard. I also run c16 tho
    So I hear you've been kicking ass with your turbo setup this year.

    Twin Turbo 1800 HP V-Drive lake boat

    http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=MAH05771.mp4

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    No one cares about your buddies old antiquated garden hose technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMUS View Post
    I think I could run more boost but it's a real hand full right now

  10. #8
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infomaniac View Post
    I learned the semi hard way that aftermarket Chevy heads require a lesser amount of timing.

    I'm on kill at 31 degrees on methanol with 9.4:1 compression.
    I've never ran methanol but when I bought my cam from Steve Morris we had a discusion about the timing and he recommended for me to start at 32*,which he said was real safe, and creep it up to max power and that I would probably end up at 35-36* at 25psi on C-16 w/Brodix BB2xtra C&C'd heads. As far as I'm concerned he is the main authority figure on boost engines, esp blow through boosted engines.
    Last edited by Hass828; 07-20-2012 at 06:08 AM.
    "if we keep doing it the same way we always do..we will always get the same results"
    H8-2-W8
    [email protected] first pass

  11. #9
    LP-25.com Infomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    16,855

    Default

    What I meant by that was not all heads will require the same ignition timing. BB2 to Head hunter completely different chambers. LS heads different animal as well.
    If For Some Reason I Do Something Worthy Of Recognition. God Provided The Ability And Deserves The Credit.


    QE 439 Twin Turbo

  12. #10
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infomaniac View Post
    What I meant by that was not all heads will require the same ignition timing. BB2 to Head hunter completely different chambers. LS heads different animal as well.
    Agreed, the more efficient of a combustion chamber design the less timing required. I thought that for the most part we were talking about conv. style BBC heads.
    Thats why I asked what heads in my first post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hass828 View Post
    What the static compression? What fuel? What heads? How much heat do you run in the engine? If you have mechanical advance in the distributer it will be a little sluggish till your all in. I prefer locked out. It will run the best if you will lock the distributer, then use the start retard function to get the engine started. Set the timing at 36* and start pulling timing after you get to 4-6psi of boost then pull it back to about 28*. this is all assuming you are around 9-1 static and intercooled on premium pump and aluminum heads with a reasonably cool engine temp. If higher static or no cooler, hotter engine, iron heads, then you'll need to be more conservative. JMHO.
    Last edited by Hass828; 07-20-2012 at 08:00 AM.
    "if we keep doing it the same way we always do..we will always get the same results"
    H8-2-W8
    [email protected] first pass

  13. #11
    Senior Member ap67et10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chico, Ca
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Hass, I'm curious, did steve ask you what ignition system you were running?

  14. #12
    Senior Member steveo143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Placentia, CA
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    I am at 32* locked on E-85 in the green boat.
    steveo143 AKA DiMarco 21 II



    Now totally Green on E-85, saving the world one ear of corn at a time!
    RIP Davey B and Denis and Chris and Bob GN7

  15. #13
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ap67et10 View Post
    Hass, I'm curious, did steve ask you what ignition system you were running?
    Yes he did. And he thought that the mag was perfect for my setup.
    "if we keep doing it the same way we always do..we will always get the same results"
    H8-2-W8
    [email protected] first pass

  16. #14
    Senior Member ap67et10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chico, Ca
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    That's not why I asked, but rather, the method of igniting the air fuel mixture can have a similar effect on timing as the efficiency of the chamber. I know you won't have any of this, but I would expect a mag to require more timing than a COP setup, simply from the characteristics of the system itself. Mags are a lower voltage, higher amps method of ignition. Recommended plug gap is a good indication.


    Andrew
    Last edited by ap67et10; 07-20-2012 at 09:28 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95