Sorry, this is more of a rant than anything but I figured some of you guys could relate.
Son in law brought his toyota truck over to replace the front main seal due to an oil leak.
Everything was a breeze till it came to removing the balancer bolt.
- Rattle gun....... nope.
- Breaker bar...... nope
- Hooked the end of the 2' long breaker bar to the frame and bumped the starter....Nope
- Ran jumpers cables over from my dually to the toyota and bumped the starter......Nope
Now f'n bolt was getting personal!!!
- Welded up some steel into a tool that would extend from the frame to the bolts that hole the v pulley to the balancer to lock the motor solid. Breaker bar to my 210 lbs son and 180 lbs son-in-law.....Nope.
- Same set up with another 2' of cheater pipe to the breaker bar......Nope
- Drilled and tapped the holes in the balancer to accept some bigboy 3/8' grade 8 bolts to make sure the tool stayed in place since we ripped the threads out of the balancer on the previous attempt and tried it again.......Nope
- Put a 2' peice of pipe on the end of the breaker bar extending to my 4 ton floor jack. Lifted the truck off the ground but let it set while we applied some heat as well as cold to hit while hitting it with a hammer to shock it..........Nope
Now it was gonna be me or that damn bolt...........
Thru the sweat, pounding headache telling me my blood pressure was trying to go to melt down I said......"Son, swing the dually around and lets hook a chain hoist from the dually to the breaker bar"
It was at this point my wife, daughter, son and son-inlaw decided it was time for pops to go set down........"the motors got 260K miles on it, we'll put a new one in the truck and fix it right".
Rork 0 vs. Bolt 1
I'm gonna be haunted by that damn bolt for the rest of my life
Sorry for the rant!