Choosing the right piston?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread:
Choosing the right piston?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Widetrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southwest corner AR
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Choosing the right piston?

    I am in the process of building a new motor and am looking for info. on the best piston to run in it! This will be around 10- 11 to 1 compression and the kicker is I plan on spraying the chit out of it! Maybe two stages 500 +! What would be the best material and or brand to run at a fair price! Any info would help! And I know some of you know what not to run at all!

    I know each has there on brand that they like so no piss matches over brands! I just need to know what has worked best for some!


    SOMEONE SAID YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU! SO,IM BURNING IT UP ONE GALLON AT A TIME!
    WT

    WFL Crew!!!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member SBS933's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Socialist Republic of California / Parker Az.
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Keith Black

  4. #3
    Senior Member H20MOFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Boats Suck View Post
    Keith Black
    Doubt there will be many fans of hypuretic or how ever u spell that here. I will be watching this thread close.....wanna up the compression on my mill soon. I asked a piston q a few months back and t sunk like a rock.
    WT....are you chambers 118 ish??...just curious what head you have.
    Another Hot Boat refugee

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member EVILFORCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,180

    Default

    Lot of spray. Ross for me. I would build more motor and less juice.
    No Fool Like A Old Fool is there?

  7. #5
    Senior Member tkriley13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,013

    Default

    Im guessing a CP with a Embee coating....

  8. #6
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Widetrack View Post
    I am in the process of building a new motor and am looking for info. on the best piston to run in it! This will be around 10- 11 to 1 compression and the kicker is I plan on spraying the chit out of it! Maybe two stages 500 +! What would be the best material and or brand to run at a fair price! Any info would help! And I know some of you know what not to run at all!

    I know each has there on brand that they like so no piss matches over brands! I just need to know what has worked best for some!
    Widetrack, you simpl;y cannot make a statement like this. Specially when you're talking about 11 to 1 and a 500HP hit.You need to get your priorities straight. HP or budget.

    Of the "bargin" pistons, I guess the Icon is the best for nitrous use It has pretty decent reinforcement under the dome and the ring pack is further down the piston than most. It also has a pretty stout short pin.

    I put a Ross in my lawn mower once. Decades ago.


    Always amused at the idea of taking a wrecking yard motor and hitting it with NOS till it comes unraveled. Theres never a shortage of people that will try to make 1000 HP on a 500HP budget.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 08-10-2012 at 12:18 PM.

  9. #7
    Senior Member Ronboats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norcal-Santa Rosa
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Call Diamond Racing pistons for a top of the line racing piston.End of story.

  10. #8
    Senior Member Widetrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southwest corner AR
    Posts
    4,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H20MOFO View Post
    Doubt there will be many fans of hypuretic or how ever u spell that here. I will be watching this thread close.....wanna up the compression on my mill soon. I asked a piston q a few months back and t sunk like a rock.
    WT....are you chambers 118 ish??...just curious what head you have.
    Yes 118 or so! Brodix BB2 that will have some good work done to them! Eldebrock TR with work done also!

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Widetrack, you simpl;y cannot make a statement like this. Specially when you're talking about 11 to 1 and a 500HP hit.You need to get your priorities straight. HP or budget.

    Of the "bargin" pistons, I guess the Icon is the best for nitrous use It has pretty decent reinforcement under the dome and the ring pack is further down the piston than most. It also has a pretty stout short pin.

    I put a Ross in my lawn mower once. Decades ago.


    Always amused at the idea of taking a wrecking yard motor and hitting it with NOS till it comes unraveled. Theres never a shortage of people that will try to make 1000 HP on a 500HP budget.
    Hahahaha! Bob, You pick out things don't ya! Yes I put the two together but, fair to me can be in a very wide range! Whatever it takes is what I will use! I am not building a junk yard motor I am getting my parts together and type of piston material is of my concern for the NOS, not brand as much! I don't run junk in my opinion but to others it may be! To each his own!
    Now back to the question! Type of piston material is best for NOS use? And if there is a off the shelf brand that would be best! Or would it be best for a set of custom pistons to be made?

    There that better Bob?


    SOMEONE SAID YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU! SO,IM BURNING IT UP ONE GALLON AT A TIME!
    WT

    WFL Crew!!!

  11. #9
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Widetrack View Post
    Yes 118 or so! Brodix BB2 that will have some good work done to them! Eldebrock TR with work done also!



    Hahahaha! Bob, You pick out things don't ya! Yes I put the two together but, fair to me can be in a very wide range! Whatever it takes is what I will use! I am not building a junk yard motor I am getting my parts together and type of piston material is of my concern for the NOS, not brand as much! I don't run junk in my opinion but to others it may be! To each his own!
    Now back to the question! Type of piston material is best for NOS use? And if there is a off the shelf brand that would be best! Or would it be best for a set of custom pistons to be made?

    There that better Bob?
    The material needs to 2618. Thats the easy part.

    Like I said, if your hitting it with 500 HP of spray you need to consider a custom piston from CP. Otherwise I would throw a set of Icons in it.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  12. #10
    Senior Member Widetrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southwest corner AR
    Posts
    4,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    The material needs to 2618. Thats the easy part.

    Like I said, if your hitting it with 500 HP of spray you need to consider a custom piston from CP. Otherwise I would throw a set of Icons in it.
    Thanks! That was the info. needed! I will see what I need before I get them made!


    SOMEONE SAID YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU! SO,IM BURNING IT UP ONE GALLON AT A TIME!
    WT

    WFL Crew!!!

  13. #11
    Senior Member stix818's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mohave Valley/Quartzsite
    Posts
    4,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    The material needs to 2618. Thats the easy part.

    Like I said, if your hitting it with 500 HP of spray you need to consider a custom piston from CP. Otherwise I would throw a set of Icons in it.
    I agree with Bob on this.. Brian over at CP will build you a piston for your combination and it will be the right one!! I would steer away from an off the shelf piston with that much NOS but I can't tell you the last time I bought an off the shelf piston so I probably don't have a clue anyways..
    Last edited by stix818; 08-14-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    http://www.performanceboats.com//signaturepics/sigpic3592_1.gif
    Special Thanks to:
    Nelson Speed & Marine
    D21 ENT
    J.J. @ Beaver Fab
    Performance Boat Candy

  14. #12
    Senior Member PCE680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manhattan Beach,CA / LHC,AZ
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Where ever you go,make sure they get the valve pockets in the right location.This is a issue with most production shops.
    A shop like REBCO doesn't make theses mistakes.

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    DFW Texas
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Widetrack have you poked around the yellow bullet forums ? I believe there's a few guys that play with the bottle over there

    Yellow Bullet Forums - Powered by vBulletin
    Barack hussein obama he destroyed our country piece by piece we Must impeach this evil beast

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95