598 bbc in jet boat
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread:
598 bbc in jet boat

  1. #1
    Senior Member ps 14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Peoria AZ
    Posts
    298

    Default 598 bbc in jet boat

    I have a 598 bbc tall deck engine that came
    out of street car . Looking to put it in jet boat
    (21'ultra). Not sure on cam selection and head selection
    have dart 310 and 345 heads. Probably use dart 345 heads and
    dart single plane intake with 1050 carb but open to sugestions
    thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ps 14 View Post
    I have a 598 bbc tall deck engine that came
    out of street car . Looking to put it in jet boat
    (21'ultra). Not sure on cam selection and head selection
    have dart 310 and 345 heads. Probably use dart 345 heads and
    dart single plane intake with 1050 carb but open to sugestions
    thanks


    On the 598 that we built, we used a set of dart 355 cnc. But it was a high Compression deal. I thought the 355 worked well for the time of the build. 1010hp 7k single 1050 carb done up by pro systems.


    We had a similar combination come up and I called dart and they now recommend the 380 cnc on that cubic inch High compression app.


    Not sure if this helps...

    Nic
    Last edited by nicwoods6; 08-21-2012 at 06:25 PM.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,299

    Default

    I vote for PORTED dart 345's.........

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member tkriley13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,013

    Default Seems to me

    this is a SIMILAR deal for the JET BOATS...

  7. #5
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ps 14 View Post
    I have a 598 bbc tall deck engine that came
    out of street car . Looking to put it in jet boat
    (21'ultra). Not sure on cam selection and head selection
    have dart 310 and 345 heads. Probably use dart 345 heads and
    dart single plane intake with 1050 carb but open to sugestions
    thanks
    The 345's will probably work fine if you're not getting carried away with compression and rpm. I would go with an Edelbrock 2916. (Don't waste your money on the "Reher Morrison" CNC ported one). The Dart intake will be well down on power from the Ede. As far as the cam, get the heads flowed so you have actual flow numbers and then get with CStraub. He'll get you the most out of your combination.
    Last edited by scott foxwell; 08-21-2012 at 08:01 PM.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tkriley13 View Post
    this is a SIMILAR deal for the JET BOATS...
    Well I am Biased!

  9. #7
    Senior Member tkriley13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,013

    Default

    Well if my Flat bottom was a river boat I`d use a solid Flat tapped cam for sure... Adjust once a year and spin as hard as it would spin on the big end and at the hit who knows... Not sure how those HYD rollers work with the higher RPM`s but since I race I spend a little more attention with my solid roller but I do it to save my springs/valve train....
    However, my 24` river boat has a outdrive deal and has a hyd roller but it only rev`s to 5000 rpm so I guess it matters what you wanna do with it and how hard you wanna push it...
    I agree with Steel with having a cam grider set you up.. But like anything we all have our favorite cam guy and mine is George at Clay Smith Cams and I think his is Cstraub either way better than something off the shelf in my book...
    I`m a little curious tho dont boat motors need a little more clearance in some areas than say existing a car motor? Good luck, Tom

  10. #8
    Senior Member ps 14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Peoria AZ
    Posts
    298

    Default bbbc 598

    haveing heads flowed right now and double checking the clearances also. But being told heads where to big for compresion and rpm . A little confused about that when engine was dynoed for car it made 765 hp. But now heads are to big for boat ? shifted car at 6200rpm and jet with aa agressor impeller should spin about the same I think will get with Cam guy when i get needed info was just looking for a little advice since parts aren't free
    Last edited by ps 14; 08-22-2012 at 10:54 AM.

  11. #9
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ps 14 View Post
    haveing heads flowed right now and double checking the clearances also. But being told heads where to big for compresion and rpm . A little confused about that when engine was dynoed for car it made 765 hp. But now heads are to small for boat ? shifted car at 6200rpm and jet with aa agressor impeller should spin about the same I think will get with Cam guy when i get needed info was just looking for a little advice since parts aren't free
    How much compression? 765 hp is a very lazy 598. Not too many circumstances where a 345cc Dart head is too big for a 598 unless mayabe in a 5500rpm big boat with an outdrive or something. We're talking almost 600ci here. At 6200, it's moving some air. Say you have a 265* cam @ .05...you're looking at 365cfm @ 6200.
    Let me know at what lift those heads flow 365cfm. The port has plenty of area for the engine. Might "like" a bigger intake valve, but not necessary.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  12. #10
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tkriley13 View Post
    Well if my Flat bottom was a river boat I`d use a solid Flat tapped cam for sure... Adjust once a year and spin as hard as it would spin on the big end and at the hit who knows... Not sure how those HYD rollers work with the higher RPM`s but since I race I spend a little more attention with my solid roller but I do it to save my springs/valve train....
    However, my 24` river boat has a outdrive deal and has a hyd roller but it only rev`s to 5000 rpm so I guess it matters what you wanna do with it and how hard you wanna push it...
    I agree with Steel with having a cam grider set you up.. But like anything we all have our favorite cam guy and mine is George at Clay Smith Cams and I think his is Cstraub either way better than something off the shelf in my book...
    I`m a little curious tho dont boat motors need a little more clearance in some areas than say existing a car motor? Good luck, Tom
    Nothing wrong with today's hyd rollers and 7000 rpm is a walk in the park. More with the special limited-travel high rpm stuff.
    Marine engines should have a litte more piston to wall clearance, and a little more guide clearance.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95