Oil Pressure
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 29

Thread:
Oil Pressure

  1. #1
    Senior Member PlacecraftTunnel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wittmann,Az
    Posts
    1,442

    Default Oil Pressure

    What will to much oil pressure due?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlacecraftTunnel View Post
    What will to much oil pressure due?
    define "to much" ?


    S CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  4. #3
    Senior Member PlacecraftTunnel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wittmann,Az
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    idle is at 75 psi & goes over 100 when it the throttle.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member EVILFORCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,180

    Default

    I will start the list of bad things that to much pressure can do. It is hard in dist drive gears and pump drive. It can rob horsepower. In theory it can effect timing due to the pulses the pump can make. It washes bearings. Can damage seals. Can drain the pan at high rpms. Now let the ass kicking begin.
    No Fool Like A Old Fool is there?

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,299

    Default

    100lbs 6000rpm

  8. #6
    Senior Member 67weiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    985

    Default

    Frank, is this a new motor?

  9. #7
    Senior Member PlacecraftTunnel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wittmann,Az
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EVILFORCE View Post
    I will start the list of bad things that to much pressure can do. It is hard in dist drive gears and pump drive. It can rob horsepower. In theory it can effect timing due to the pulses the pump can make. It washes bearings. Can damage seals. Can drain the pan at high rpms. Now let the ass kicking begin.
    I was hoping for different answers, but i figured all the above answers. Good thing its still on the stand..

  10. #8
    Senior Member PlacecraftTunnel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wittmann,Az
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PS&B1 View Post
    100lbs 6000rpm
    125lbs at 4500rpm

  11. #9
    Senior Member PlacecraftTunnel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wittmann,Az
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 67weiman View Post
    Frank, is this a new motor?
    Ryan no its not. Still building mommas motor. It will be ready when the new boat is done.
    Last edited by PlacecraftTunnel; 08-25-2012 at 01:09 PM.

  12. #10
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlacecraftTunnel View Post
    125lbs at 4500rpm
    uhmmmm try some 05-20w

    what pump do you have on it?


    S CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  13. #11
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    I think Evil nailed the down side pretty much. Also sleeper questioned what pump but I would be concerned as to why so high? By-pass issue, really tight, and what oil?

  14. #12
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    I think Evil nailed the down side pretty much. Also sleeper questioned what pump but I would be concerned as to why so high? By-pass issue, really tight, and what oil?
    85-120


    S CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  15. #13
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    If your not pumping straight 70 WT COLD, then you pump pressure relief is stuck.

    Although Evil nailed some of the problems, he threw in a couple that have never been fully explained to me. Like what a washed bearing is EXACTLY, and what seals aside from the oil filter is under oil pressure.

    Its hell on you dizzy gear, specially if its bronze, and it messes with your timing and will put more oil in you heads and throws excessive oil all the crankcase that you really don't want, and adds to foaming. Sucks power but thats the least of your issues.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  16. #14
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    If your not pumping straight 70 WT COLD, then you pump pressure relief is stuck.

    Although Evil nailed some of the problems, he threw in a couple that have never been fully explained to me. Like what a washed bearing is EXACTLY, and what seals aside from the oil filter is under oil pressure.

    Its hell on you dizzy gear, specially if its bronze, and it messes with your timing and will put more oil in you heads and throws excessive oil all the crankcase that you really don't want, and adds to foaming. Sucks power but thats the least of your issues.
    I have seen oil washed bearings and its not a pretty site. Burned and rolling babbit. Much like a fuel wash but more drastic. As far as the distributor gear if he is running a roller (or not) in will multiply cam walk ten fold. Not to mention pumping ALL the oil up top and draining the pan As far as the relief stuck, I would bet on that as long as the build is right and he is not running gear oil! MLAO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95