Alternator
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread:
Alternator

  1. #1
    Retired Air Force Master Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Havasu
    Posts
    940

    Default Alternator

    I bought a new 1 wire mini alternator. When I connected the wire I could hear a humming noise coming from inside the alternator. Thinking that a small load is being drawn I returned it and got another one (same). This one also has a hum noise when I connect the wire. Is this normal for some alternators? If it is making noise it has to be drawing amps, right?
    Rareelectrical.com - NEW CHEVY 60A MINI ALTERNATOR 8162 WINTERS & RICHMOND REAR ENDS 1 WIRE UNIT

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Distinguished Member David 519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    5,754

    Default

    Tim, the alternator doesn't really draw amps, it generates them. If your battery is really low, it will produce the most current (amps). About all you can measure is battery voltage and battery should be around 1 volt higher with the engine running than with the engine off. This is really the only indicator it's charging.
    My East Coast Electric don't make any noise you can hear over the engine. The hum must be pretty loud if you can hear it over the engine. "Listen" to the bearings with a screwdriver and see if they sound bad. Cant' think of a reason it should be humming...
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    ....... David 519 is 100% correct........

    Quote Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins82 View Post
    .....I think people forget that racing is supposed to fun. Losing shouldn't be discouraging it should motivate you work on your pile to make it faster.....

  4. #3
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David 519 View Post
    Tim, the alternator doesn't really draw amps, it generates them. If your battery is really low, it will produce the most current (amps). About all you can measure is battery voltage and battery should be around 1 volt higher with the engine running than with the engine off. This is really the only indicator it's charging.
    My East Coast Electric don't make any noise you can hear over the engine. The hum must be pretty loud if you can hear it over the engine. "Listen" to the bearings with a screwdriver and see if they sound bad. Cant' think of a reason it should be humming...
    David, I may be wrong, but I think he means it makes a hum the second he hooks it up, with the engine OFF!
    If thats the case, it seems very wrong to me. I don't need something that hums while its sitting in my garage.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Retired Air Force Master Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Havasu
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Yes it hums when I connect the wire. Engine is not running

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    270

    Default

    I had one of their chrome minis and it took my battery down during the trip to firebird from san diego, with the master disconnect off. Just brushing the one wire to the terminal caused a small spark. I put the black one I had back on no problems. Im thinking an internal short or something in the chrome one. The chrome one got hot with the charger on it also. So I just swapped it out.
    Last edited by Desperado; 08-27-2012 at 07:43 PM.
    armandshammer

  8. #6
    Distinguished Member David 519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    5,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    David, I may be wrong, but I think he means it makes a hum the second he hooks it up, with the engine OFF!
    If thats the case, it seems very wrong to me. I don't need something that hums while its sitting in my garage.
    Oh, if that's the case, something is definitely wrong and I got nothing....
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    ....... David 519 is 100% correct........

    Quote Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins82 View Post
    .....I think people forget that racing is supposed to fun. Losing shouldn't be discouraging it should motivate you work on your pile to make it faster.....

  9. #7
    Retired Air Force Master Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Havasu
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Going to return it and buy this one
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ECA-2025/

  10. #8
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Sergeant View Post
    Going to return it and buy this one
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ECA-2025/
    MS, its my guess they have a problem with their diodes. Maybe a run of alternators with them installed backwards? Who knows.
    You get this from RareElectrical off Ebay by chance? Just curious?
    The East Coast Electric is a good PROVEN performer.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  11. #9
    Senior Member Oldsquirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Sergeant View Post
    Yes it hums when I connect the wire. Engine is not running
    Tim, sounds like either a bad voltage regulator, or a questionable "one-wire" conversion, allowing the field circuit to remain "on" at all times. Although that RareElectrical unit that looks like a NipponDenso Ultra Mini as sold by ECAE and Powermaster, the price screams Chinese "replica" and the quality control that comes with it........
    Last edited by Oldsquirt; 08-27-2012 at 09:35 PM.

  12. #10
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsquirt View Post
    Tim, sounds like either a bad voltage regulator, or a questionable "one-wire" conversion, allowing the field circuit to remain "on" at all times. Although that RareElectrical unit that looks like a NipponDenso Ultra Mini as sold by ECAE and Powermaster, the price screams Chinese "replica" and the quality control that comes with it........
    The price AND the marketing both SCREAM Chinese knockoff.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  13. #11
    Retired Air Force Master Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Havasu
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    MS, its my guess they have a problem with their diodes. Maybe a run of alternators with them installed backwards? Who knows.
    You get this from RareElectrical off Ebay by chance? Just curious?
    The East Coast Electric is a good PROVEN performer.
    Yes, RareElectrical off Ebay

  14. #12
    Senior Member Alter Ego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Arkansas
    Posts
    1,375

    Default

    You may have just had bad luck. I have one of the mini rare electrical alternators, as well as many folks I know. No issues so far.
    2011 Rouse Performance 19'

    WFL Crew

  15. #13
    Distinguished Member David 519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    5,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Sergeant View Post
    Going to return it and buy this one
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ECA-2025/
    Good choice Tim. There a bit pricy but the quality is worth it. You seem to have my luck where everybody gets by with cheap knock off stuff and I never do!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    ....... David 519 is 100% correct........

    Quote Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins82 View Post
    .....I think people forget that racing is supposed to fun. Losing shouldn't be discouraging it should motivate you work on your pile to make it faster.....

  16. #14
    Senior Member racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    570

    Default china junk

    sorry ...buy american.
    Last edited by racer; 09-03-2012 at 12:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95