Well as some of you know last summer I grenaded my old 467 that had been with me since 1992. Back after. 2004 I raised compression, did some additional porting on the heads and added more cam thinking I was going to go racing again. To make a long story short after building that engine up to run expensive gas I only raced a half dozen outlaw races and never did make a sanctioned 1/4 mile race. So after losing the crank, block, cam, some rods and a couple pistons I was faced with the decision to piece back together my favorite combination to date or to use some parts I had collected for another project and go back to a more easily available and cheaper pump gas engine.
What I had was a new bare set of AFR 305 heads I had ordered for my old 467, a Velasco 4.25” stroker crank, a set of 18cc dome .030” over SRP pistons I picked up for a screaming deal (for the 4.25” stroke) and a couple of blocks I thought would clean up at .030”. So the debate over compression or cubic inch started, lots of different theories here. In the end it came down to all I had was 6 pistons out of my old build and only cast 4” stroke cranks. I needed rods either way so that was a moot point. So I decided to try the 489 hoping the additional cubic inches would offset the compression loss and the new heads would give me a little more power than I had before.
So here was the donor block, which was supposed to have been running when it was pulled. I didn’t take pictures of the inside but trust me if it had been running it sat outside uncovered for a few months minimum. Piston rings rusted to the bores and a valve cover full of dirt led me to that assumption. Lol
The core motor as I got it home, but it was free since I picked it up. Lol
After 2 cans of oven cleaner and $10 at the high pressure car wash.
As usual I got a little carried away on clean up and deburring