pyrometer question
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread:
pyrometer question

  1. #1
    senior member turbo wog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    sacramento
    Posts
    1,806

    Default pyrometer question

    my old pyro had a nice install setup . pipe thread into alum. & AN style nut( old crappy looking gauge ). the new one has some bullshit looking allen set screw crap & the fit is not tight . i am sure it will leak exhaust, actually i cant get it into where i have mounted the old one.. the question is can i use my old one & eventually buy a new probe & cut the wires off the end so i can use the new gauge harness ? these new gauge harnesses are pissing me off!!!! even the new water gauge harness is bullshit. you have to pry pretty good to get the harness unplugged. next year its gonna break if i gotta pull the motor! i have had the same working sensor on the boat since i bought it in 2001...... by the way i just noticed that the pyro temp is over 1600* would that temp indicate the last time i ran the boat? 7 piston melt down, although i did start the boat to check the timing with the 7 burned pistons after that,but the temp did not get hot, it ran real short on the trailer..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010388.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	177225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010386.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	177226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010392.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	177227  
    Last edited by turbo wog; 09-10-2012 at 09:01 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turbo wog View Post
    my old pyro had a nice install setup . pipe thread into alum. & AN style nut( old crappy looking gauge ). the new one has some bullshit looking allen set screw crap & the fit is not tight . i am sure it will leak exhaust, actually i cant get it into where i have mounted the old one.. the question is can i use my old one & eventually buy a new probe & cut the wires off the end so i can use the new gauge harness ? these new gauge harnesses are pissing me off!!!! even the new water gauge harness is bullshit. you have to pry pretty good to get the harness unplugged. next year its gonna break if i gotta pull the motor! i have had the same working sensor on the boat since i bought it in 2001...... by the way i just noticed that the pyro temp is over 1600* would that temp indicate the last time i ran the boat? 7 piston melt down, although i did start the boat to check the timing with the 7 burned pistons after that,but the temp did not get hot, it ran real short on the trailer..
    Make sure you get the same brand Probe and stick it in the same distance..

  4. #3
    senior member turbo wog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    sacramento
    Posts
    1,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicwoods6 View Post
    Make sure you get the same brand Probe and stick it in the same distance..
    the probe i have been running has no depth adjust. it is a auto meter too. see pic #1

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turbo wog View Post
    the probe i have been running has no depth adjust. it is a auto meter too. see pic #1

    Should have a little brass coupler deal that the probe sits In. And when you tighten the nut it tightens the probe and locks it. Basically what you don't want is the probe going so far Into the pipe that its touching metal.

  7. #5
    senior member turbo wog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    sacramento
    Posts
    1,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicwoods6 View Post
    Should have a little brass coupler deal that the probe sits In. And when you tighten the nut it tightens the probe and locks it. Basically what you don't want is the probe going so far Into the pipe that its touching metal.
    good info thanks,but i am putting it in the exhaust log that's like 3"+ in diameter. need to cut wires if possible & junk the pyro probe that came with the gauge & run one with threaded & seats itself not slide in & set screw. i just hate going backwards in any way ! i had a nice set-up, now its junk crap. ( but looks reeeealy nice!!)
    Last edited by turbo wog; 09-09-2012 at 10:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95