Spark plug question
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread:
Spark plug question

  1. #1
    Senior Member Franger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    2,034

    Default Spark plug question

    New Brodix heads, never installed plugs yet. Today I tried installing 5 different Autolite 4054's in 5 of the holes, they each went in less than 1 turn and felt like they were going to cross thread, I only used my fingers to screw them in. I tried NGK 4554's and each screwed all the way in to the washer.

    Any ideas why this is happening?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franger View Post
    New Brodix heads, never installed plugs yet. Today I tried installing 5 different Autolite 4054's in 5 of the holes, they each went in less than 1 turn and felt like they were going to cross thread, I only used my fingers to screw them in. I tried NGK 4554's and each screwed all the way in to the washer.

    Any ideas why this is happening?
    Seen it. Use the NGK. The is no reason to use another plug PERIOD!



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  4. #3
    Senior Member Robby321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Seen it. Use the NGK. The is no reason to use another plug PERIOD!
    I had to check the thread...and ..well, one was taught today, plugs. As Autolite, have to be the worst plugs known to me, 55 years doing many motors. Still own many different..."but if NGK, does not fit, "you must acquit!"..(F OJ by the way too).NGK, or no way.....(ya nailed it dude!)..

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Flyin-Bryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Autolite spark plugs are now made in China.

  7. #5
    Living in a cage of fear thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    16,456

    Default

    I've always ran NGK in my Brodix heads.
    Thats what they recommend, that's what I run.

    They had Autolites in them once, I didn't put them in, but I did take them out!
    Tommy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexone View Post
    Tommy please remove all Jimsplace quotes from your sig and don't put more back. He doesn't like it and it is against the rules. Thank you.
    "So as through a glass, and darkly
    The age long strife I see
    Where I fought in many guises,
    Many names, but always me."

    Gen. George S Patton

  8. #6
    Senior Member Franger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Thanks guys, I had the Autolites from a previous motor and wanted to use them for start up only.....

  9. #7
    Village Idiot fc-Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    3,292

    Default

    I have not been using autolites for very long, only 15 year and have not been disappointed. Now I bought a huge batch about 4 years ago and have only bought 5 or 6 individual sets since then, so they may have fallen off some. I tried NGK's once against the autolites in one of our cars and it did not like them as much. I am sure had we tried different heat ranges and stuff we could have made them work as well, but it wasn't worth our time. Maybe when I run out of plugs I will have to look into the NGK's again.

    Paul

  10. #8
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,275

    Default

    Hhmmmm, I've ran both the ngk r5671a-8 and the autolite 3934 and have had no problem with either one. I also run the Bordix heads.
    "if we keep doing it the same way we always do..we will always get the same results"
    H8-2-W8
    [email protected] first pass

  11. #9
    Senior Member lbhsbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Seen it. Use the NGK. The is no reason to use another plug PERIOD!
    X10

    I've seen plenty of plugs over the years with shitty/out of class threads. Call Brodix, ask the what thread they cut in the head, order a tap from McMaster (a good one) and run it through the hole hole to verify that it was machined right. Then go find some NGKs.
    GN7: "If you were to have ever had two brain cells you could rub together and make heat, you be dangerous"

  12. #10
    Senior Member Franger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lbhsbz View Post
    X10

    I've seen plenty of plugs over the years with shitty/out of class threads. Call Brodix, ask the what thread they cut in the head, order a tap from McMaster (a good one) and run it through the hole hole to verify that it was machined right. Then go find some NGKs.
    Perhaps I didn't explain myself correctly in my first post. The NGK's went in perfect all the way to the washer using only my thumb and one finger. The Autolite's did not.

    The threads in the heads are fine, the threads on the Autolites are faulty, hope that clears it up.

  13. #11
    Senior Member Franger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fc-Pilot View Post
    I have not been using autolites for very long, only 15 year and have not been disappointed. Now I bought a huge batch about 4 years ago and have only bought 5 or 6 individual sets since then, so they may have fallen off some. I tried NGK's once against the autolites in one of our cars and it did not like them as much. I am sure had we tried different heat ranges and stuff we could have made them work as well, but it wasn't worth our time. Maybe when I run out of plugs I will have to look into the NGK's again.

    Paul
    Same here Paul, I used AC 44's or Autolites for general running around the lakes with no issues for 15+ years. I ran Champion BL13Y when I raced but that was 25 or so years ago lol

    I'm not a bit impressed with the Autolites nowadays tho .....

  14. #12
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franger View Post

    I'm not a bit impressed with the Autolites nowadays tho .....
    Really? I am shocked. Find that really hard to believe. Tell me, how do you feel about Autolite's sister product FRAM???
    Ran Autolites religiously from high school days until sometime in the late 80's. Went to Champions but they were't the easiest plug to get, and I could never seem to get a handle on reading them. I knew NGKs from the bike racing days and notice more and more people were running them. Never looked at using another plug since.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 09-13-2012 at 01:30 PM.

  15. #13
    Senior Member Robby321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Jezz, here we go. I been doing many motors 55 years too. Am I incorrect that Autolite is what Fords ..(older?..but I'm Chevy guy)) came with? Means little to me anyway. Still have 6 bikes, dirt to road, too damn many boat motors, and the lawn care motors, as the cages. Factory made motors, are, to me, tuned for a specific plug. Fine with me..use what sugessted. But my old Shovelhead eats Champs..(far from stock though), and no prob NGK. My bagger likes Bosch. And my Merc OB's, like Champs. 350 (2) Chevys, A/C. As seems some plugs work fine, others not, is beyond me. Something so simple should be damn near...hell, I don't know. But as the first post stated, YEP, I have had ..(damn junk all made overseas now), many that had lousy threads, and simple tossed. And over the early years, boats, don't know how many heads I had to do, a idiot, brought to me, Heli-Coil. Some are so dumb, when it gets tight, after finger in and not seated.....grab a wrench. Anyway, this "thread" (pun intended!) ..can go on for ages, so what works for ya...well, any spark is better than no spark! And also, anytime I do new plugs now..(Machinst 21 years), run a known piece of good head threads, the plug first..maybe run chaser die on the plug, and a clean up tap, in the hole, where its going. Its all in the feel anyway. OH yeah! Back in the 70's, anyone remember those JC Whitney, "stop Oil Fouling plugs thingy? Simple a small thing, that ya screwed in the head, then the plug? Oiled mess in the cylinders, had to go through a hole, and then to the plug, and just the gas mixture, made it to the plug. Yeah, right. I have a 1965 6 cly Mustang, bought used..(just out on Nam then), and had them in. Going down Chitown Toll roads at 70, one blew out, and a nice dent in the hood too! Anyway, I can't resist this, as a old gearhead friend of mine here, getting up there in age, hard to walk, but a great guy, and a super wood "whittler", as does stuff like this too for fun also. Gets the used plugs from us. On Autolites?...my take too...a pic.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S5304238-1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	177797  
    Last edited by Robby321; 09-13-2012 at 06:20 PM.

  16. #14
    Senior Member Franger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Really? I am shocked. Find that really hard to believe. Tell me, how do you feel about Autolite's sister product FRAM???
    Ran Autolites religiously from high school days until sometime in the late 80's. Went to Champions but they were't the easiest plug to get, and I could never seem to get a handle on reading them. I knew NGKs from the bike racing days and notice more and more people were running them. Never looked at using another plug since.
    After the education I got from you Bob .... Fram oil filters are now in the same category as Autolites, "do not use". Autolites worked fine for me from the early 70's through the 80's until I sold my boat, never had one with bad threads and they lasted longer for everyday use than the Champions. I too discovered NGK's when I raced flat track in the mid 70's, just never tried them in my boat back then. Based on all the input I have read from guys like yourself I'm going to use them.... WTF, I CAN'T use the Autolites if I can't get em to screw into the heads lol

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95