Spark Plug Gap
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread:
Spark Plug Gap

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    93

    Default Spark Plug Gap

    I have a 1974 454 BBC, 750 holley carb, lighting headers, maybe a mild cam in it. im putting new plugs in it. What is the spark plug gap distance?
    Last edited by srfinatsunset; 09-18-2012 at 03:58 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member SBS933's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Socialist Republic of California / Parker Az.
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by srfinatsunset View Post
    I have a 1974 454 BBC, 750 holley carb, lighting headers, maybe a mild cam in it. im putting new plugs in it. What is the spark plug gap distance?
    Run em at .045 if you have electronic ignition.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    93

    Default

    I pulled the Valve cover to see what heads i had this block. Oval port heads. The rocker has something etched into. i find it odd. What do you guys think. That same rocker was loose, so quater turn and the rocker was tight again. You also see the color differrence in the rockers. Again I find it odd.

    In the last two picture you can see the something like black metal shavings. Its not shinny so is it bult up carbon? It is crunchy. I found this stuff on both heads in the middle of the valve covers.

    I just changed the oil saturday and went to the lake on sunday and she ran great. I did a few speed runs with no issues. Should I be worried or drive like l stole it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	030.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	178468   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	178469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	032.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	178470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	033.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	178471  

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Welcome to the wonderful world of skid ball rockers. The different colors of the rockers can be 2 things. New replaced rockers, or discolored due to getting hot. If they are new replacements, its probably due to the old ones burning up. If the other are discolored due to heat, they're next. The crunchy black stuff? Coked oil from the hot ass rockers. Basically carbon residue after the oil is burnt to a cinder. Usually from the exhaust rockers.
    Might consider buying a spare rocker or two and keep them around so you don't have a weekend spoiled by a fried rocker. They're relatively cheap, You can afford to burn 3 or 4 a year easy. Even more if you save money buying the right oil on sale.
    The loose rocker nut? The nuts are distorted crush nuts that are suppose to hold the rocker adjustment. They lose so of the locking affect when they get hot, and tend to loosen up. Any time you replace a rocker that has fired, the nut should be replaced as well. Its usually in no better shape than the toasted rocker.

    Is it my monitor, or are your intake retainers a little brighter and shiner than your exhaust retainers. If thats heat discoloration, makes me wonder how much of that heat went thru the spring to get the retainer hot enough to change color. MMMmmm
    Also, could help but notice that you have some really cool aluminum valve covers. Have you ever seen the underside of a STOCK GM BBC valve cover?
    If you don't mind me asking, what oil did you use when you changed the oil. And what filter?



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 09-18-2012 at 07:18 PM.

  7. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    93

    Default

    I used Castrol 10-30 high mileage, and K&N HP-3001. I used 8 quarts. The oil filter is a remote filter and it was in the boat when i bought it. Its a used boat. I put 1 quart of lucsas oil treatment in too. I chose the Castrol High Mileage because I have no clue of how long, how hard it has been run before. I know its 1972-79 block with 1973 oval port heads. The oil that came out was like a black metallic.

    As for the exhuast retainer and intake reatiners I have no clue. Maybe sunlight in the picture too.

    The Valve covers. Really what can I say other then they came that way, Epoxy glue to hold together. As for seeing the underside of a stock BBC valve cover. I can say no.

    I'm open to good ideas and teaching. This is my 1st boat. The family has a rollbar boat that goes to the dealer for maintance.

  8. #6
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by srfinatsunset View Post
    I used Castrol 10-30 high mileage, and K&N HP-3001. I used 8 quarts. The oil filter is a remote filter and it was in the boat when i bought it. Its a used boat. I put 1 quart of lucsas oil treatment in too. I chose the Castrol High Mileage because I have no clue of how long, how hard it has been run before. I know its 1972-79 block with 1973 oval port heads. The oil that came out was like a black metallic.

    As for the exhuast retainer and intake reatiners I have no clue. Maybe sunlight in the picture too.

    The Valve covers. Really what can I say other then they came that way, Epoxy glue to hold together. As for seeing the underside of a stock BBC valve cover. I can say no.

    I'm open to good ideas and teaching. This is my 1st boat. The family has a rollbar boat that goes to the dealer for maintance.
    How did I know it was Castrol? Chances are the guy that owned it last didn't use anything any better. There is nothing in the High Milage that is of any benefit to you. I don't care how many hours are on the engine.
    Well, at least the Lucas Stabilizer was a good idea. Nothing wrong at all with the filter either.

    I assure you, if you pull the valve covers back off, the exhaust retainers are a different color than the intakes. Sun or no sun, they are a different color.

    This is a shot of the inside of a stock valve cover. See the metal piece spot welded to the inside? Those little tits drip oil onto the skid balls in the stock rockers. They help oil one of the most highly loaded parts in the engine that is not pressure fed. The rockers are 100% dependent on oil dripping on them for lubrication. They don't tend to live too long in extend high rpm situations with out the drippers. They don't tend to last to long without the drippers period. In a boat, its that much worse.




    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Thanks GN7

    What oil would you recommend? Just local boating, along with Havasu and speed runs when the water is flat.

    I will look into new Valve cover this winter.

    As for castrol, I have used it in everything I own, Truck, Race Bike, Ct 70, now the boat. Also it help John Force get paid, along with his cute daughters. lol

  10. #8
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by srfinatsunset View Post
    Thanks GN7

    What oil would you recommend? Just local boating, along with Havasu and speed runs when the water is flat.

    I will look into new Valve cover this winter.

    As for castrol, I have used it in everything I own, Truck, Race Bike, Ct 70, now the boat. Also it help John Force get paid, along with his cute daughters. lol
    Well, if you can get your hands on the same oil that Force is using, I recommend you run that.
    You might consider roller rockers instead of different valve covers. They don't have a tendency to burn like the stockers do when you're doing one of the speed runs.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  11. #9
    Senior Member swtd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    beaumont ca
    Posts
    1,528

    Default look

    Make sure you have a throttle return spring on the carb setup before you take it out again (dont see one).....Friendly INFO........

  12. #10
    Senior Member Chop Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Puget Sound Wa
    Posts
    673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post

    They help oil one of the most highly loaded parts in the engine that is not pressure fed. The rockers are 100% dependent on oil dripping on them for lubrication.
    So that little hole in the end of the rocker must be for weight savings then? Theres no way it could like, let oil from the lifters trickle into them balls, dont ya think?

    Although I like my balls trickled and dripped, they tend to do fine with just a trickle alone. Either way you look at it, if your balls are highly loaded, they must be lubed if your gonna last.

  13. #11
    Senior Member racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chop Shop View Post
    So that little hole in the end of the rocker must be for weight savings then? Theres no way it could like, let oil from the lifters trickle into them balls, dont ya think?

    Although I like my balls trickled and dripped, they tend to do fine with just a trickle alone. Either way you look at it, if your balls are highly loaded, they must be lubed if your gonna last.
    LOLOL good one!!!

  14. #12
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by srfinatsunset View Post
    Thanks GN7

    What oil would you recommend? Just local boating, along with Havasu and speed runs when the water is flat.

    I will look into new Valve cover this winter.

    As for castrol, I have used it in everything I own, Truck, Race Bike, Ct 70, now the boat. Also it help John Force get paid, along with his cute daughters. lol
    if that's a hydraulic flat tappet, which it probably is, you might think about something in the 20-40 or 20-50 weight range. years ago when i ran hyd flat tappets, i couldn't get away with anything less than 20-50. you might want to run it a little and change oil/filter again.

    also, if your driving the boat sometime just cruising or pulling skiers, and you hear a tic-tic-TIC-TIC, then silence (except it's running a bit rough), the center of one (or more) of those stamped steel rockers just said buhbye.... and yes, this is from experience in a jet boat. at that point, it's best to shut the thing off rather than flush the remnants all over the inside of the engine. the stamped steel rockers will take a ton of abuse. but when the centers break out, they don't necessarily do it cleanly.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95