Duramax coolant to winterize my boat?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread:
Duramax coolant to winterize my boat?

  1. #1
    The Good mrjoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque NM
    Posts
    483

    Default Duramax coolant to winterize my boat?

    I have 3 gallons of used coolant from my lbz 6.6 duramax left over from when I had to change a hose. Can I use it winterize my gen IV BBC? can I add other antifreeze to it? Easier than trying to dispose of it for now. Thanks. Josh

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Ain't Right Racin piston in the wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sapulpa ok
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoshua View Post
    I have 3 gallons of used coolant from my lbz 6.6 duramax left over from when I had to change a hose. Can I use it winterize my gen IV BBC? can I add other antifreeze to it? Easier than trying to dispose of it for now. Thanks. Josh
    It will be fine just don't dump it in the lake.

  4. #3
    The Good mrjoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque NM
    Posts
    483

    Default

    No I won't. I'll dispose of it properly next spring. If I need more can I add additional "regular" antifreeze to it?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member jockorace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Whitewright, TX
    Posts
    3,359

    Default

    Why would you have to put that in your motor to winterize it? Just drain the block, pull a few hoses, blow 'em out and you're done. Jocko

  7. #5
    Super Moderator HammerDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Right Coast/SE-PA
    Posts
    5,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jockorace View Post
    Why would you have to put that in your motor to winterize it? Just drain the block, pull a few hoses, blow 'em out and you're done. Jocko
    Rust needs moisture and AIR, actually forms faster when the block is empty...best to keep it full. Also, antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors in it.
    For the boat I use the same antifreeze over and over, for a few years. 50/50 mix.
    <img src=http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/06-30-11_1234.jpg border=0 alt= />

  8. #6
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoshua View Post
    No I won't. I'll dispose of it properly next spring. If I need more can I add additional "regular" antifreeze to it?
    NO! Do not mix regular ethylene glycol anti freeze with the Durmax stuff which is Propylene glycol based.

    Not saying you can just go to the lake with it in the engine next summer, but the "new" antifreeze is basically non toxic. If it weren't for the corrosion inhibitors in it, you could just fire it off in the lake next summer.

    Propylene glycol is actually sold as an additive to cattle feed and its in every gallon of ice cream, as well as the main ingredient of Visene.

    LINK Propylene glycol


    You can buy Motor/Mobile Home antifreeze for protecting the water lines in MoHo during the winter that you add to the water tank and run the facets and shower till it runs red. Mext summer you flush the lines and refill the storage tank. Its that non toxic. Never try that with ethylene glycol.

    West Marine sells the stuff as a winterizer. May freak people out on the ramp if they saw red stuff coming out of your boat first time you fire it off, but its 100% non toxic, abd bio degradable.

    LINK: Marine West
    Like I said, I don't suggest you do this with the Dexcool, but it MUCH safer than the old "green" stuff.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 10-10-2012 at 01:47 PM.

  9. #7
    Member cuzncarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, San Diego CA
    Posts
    53

    Default

    how would i do this in a jet boat with no reservoir?? it just picks up water from the pump then back out the thru transom exhaust.
    21' ultra "TIGOL BITTIES"

  10. #8
    Senior Member ugly duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    OGDEN UTAH
    Posts
    346

    Default

    you can get the non toxic moho antifreeze at lowes for 1.98 a gal with one dollar mail in rebate its not hard to find by any means
    (GN7)Just a simple waste of perfectly good sour mash. If you need a fuel, use something that will poison you, not something that makes you buzzed.

  11. #9
    Senior Member BrotherWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Salem,Or
    Posts
    987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cuzncarl View Post
    how would i do this in a jet boat with no reservoir?? it just picks up water from the pump then back out the thru transom exhaust.

    what I do with my boat is disconnect the hose from the pump and hook it up to a bilge pump, put the bilge pump in a 5 gallon bucket full of anti freeze (3 gal) and start pumping in threw the motor till it starts coming out the exhaust( I have buckets under the exhaust tips to catch the over flow) disconect bilge pump and instead of hooking the hose back up to the pump I just hold it up above motor and zip tie it to the tow bar. If you hook it back up to the pump some of it will drain out threw your pump.....I have a tub under the pump when hooking it back up in the spring.....they just repeat process to flush out the antifreeze
    Last edited by BrotherWolf; 10-23-2012 at 10:14 PM.
    With Spray there is a way!!!

  12. #10
    Member cuzncarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, San Diego CA
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    what I do with my boat is disconnect the hose from the pump and hook it up to a bilge pump, put the bilge pump in a 5 gallon bucket full of anti freeze (3 gal) and start pumping in threw the motor till it starts coming out the exhaust( I have buckets under the exhaust tips to catch the over flow) disconect bilge pump and instead of hooking the hose back up to the pump I just hold it up above motor and zip tie it to the tow bar. If you hook it back up to the pump some of it will drain out threw your pump.....I have a tub under the pump when hooking it back up in the spring.....they just repeat process to flush out the antifreeze

    Awesome perfect thank you!
    21' ultra "TIGOL BITTIES"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95