Gearheads
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 56

Thread:
Gearheads

  1. #1
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default Gearheads

    Heres a couple pics of a mechaical fuel pump.....maybe 8-9 psi..... This hole on top of it seems to be my source of a oil leak I've been chasing..... Thought it was the screws holding the two halves together....dont think it is......Anyone know if this hole is a vent??? The other side (behind it) is cast over (plugged).....this hole is open as you can see....Not sure what brand pump it is, came on the motor.......SBC 350. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_1 pump.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	183938   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2 pump.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	183939  

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,571

    Default

    Many companies are selling a pump with a casting that looks like that. How bad is the oil leak, and are you sure it's not the bolt on the front side of the block? There is a bolt that can be removed and a hole leads straight into the fuel pump pushrod. That bolt will require some kind of sealer or it will be messy.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious001 View Post
    Many companies are selling a pump with a casting that looks like that. How bad is the oil leak, and are you sure it's not the bolt on the front side of the block? There is a bolt that can be removed and a hole leads straight into the fuel pump pushrod. That bolt will require some kind of sealer or it will be messy.
    Started to search it on the internet........I guess its common for a ruptured diaphragm and/or seal to leak (I know now) out the vent hole..... All my stuff has been electrical pumps feeding my motors. Its so small...... just one drop every now and then...enough to bug ya!!!! Looks like Ill look at Summit/Jegs for a new pump. Thanks for your response.... Dewey

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deweydaddy View Post
    Started to search it on the internet........I guess its common for a ruptured diaphragm and/or seal to leak (I know now) out the vent hole..... All my stuff has been electrical pumps feeding my motors. Its so small...... just one drop every now and then...enough to bug ya!!!! Looks like Ill look at Summit/Jegs for a new pump. Thanks for your response.... Dewey
    Your diaphram isn't rutured. If it was, gasoline would be coming out of the hole, not oil. The linkage mechanism in the dome of the pump is open to the crankcase. Its common for oil to get in there.
    My guess is you have blowby pressure and your not really dealing with it effectively and it pushing a few drops of oil out of the hole. The hole is their so you COULD run a line to you flame arrester/air cleaner and make it GC approved. You don't need the hole, the pump dome will vent into the crankcase. Just epoxy it shut.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  7. #5
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Your diaphram isn't rutured. If it was, gasoline would be coming out of the hole, not oil. The linkage mechanism in the dome of the pump is open to the crankcase. Its common for oil to get in there.
    My guess is you have blowby pressure and your not really dealing with it effectively and it pushing a few drops of oil out of the hole. The hole is their so you COULD run a line to you flame arrester/air cleaner and make it GC approved. You don't need the hole, the pump dome will vent into the crankcase. Just epoxy it shut.
    Hmm.. interesting, so, being a so called "vent" ....I can seal it? I keep thinking as it flex's..It needs to push air somewhere.......Man I kill myself with too many thoughtsI'll look at it more tomorrow...I'm thinking....will it push "Pressurize" through the lever to the cam lobe if the vent is blocked? I've never had mech pump before...... also its on this machine.....Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1053.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	183953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1048.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	183954  

  8. #6
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Your diaphram isn't rutured. If it was, gasoline would be coming out of the hole, not oil. The linkage mechanism in the dome of the pump is open to the crankcase. Its common for oil to get in there.
    My guess is you have blowby pressure and your not really dealing with it effectively and it pushing a few drops of oil out of the hole. The hole is their so you COULD run a line to you flame arrester/air cleaner and make it GC approved. You don't need the hole, the pump dome will vent into the crankcase. Just epoxy it shut.
    Again reread your post.......I can see what your kinda saying......I take it....there's really no way to blow a seal at the lever to the lobe then? Maybe I'll search for a exploded view......might help me "see" it better....Thanks

  9. #7
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    It does need to push the air somewhere, and that somwhere is the crankcase. Its also the same place it gets air when the diaphram is depressed. The air just moves in and out of the dome. But the dome is open to the crankcase.
    No, you don't need it, specially a car/truck.

    In the pics I see a line going from a PCV to the base of the carb. Do you have open breather, or line from the other valve cover to the base of the air cleaner. The PCV does not ventilate the crankcase at all throttle postions/RPM and loads. If you have no open breather or line to the air cleaner, then when the PCV closes the crankcase goes into positive pressure and pushes oil out anywhere it can. Its hard on seals and gaskets.

    I see something on the other valve cover, but its hard to tell if its a breather or just a fill cap.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 11-09-2012 at 05:47 PM.

  10. #8
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    It does need to push the air somewhere, and that somwhere is the crankcase. Its also the same place it gets air when the diaphram is depressed. The air just moves in and out of the dome. But the dome is open to the crankcase.
    No, you don't need it, specially a car/truck.

    In the pics I see a line going from a PCV to the base of the carb. Do you have open breather, or line from the other valve cover to the base of the air cleaner. The PCV does not ventilate the crankcase at all throttle postions/RPM and loads. If you have no open breather or line to the air cleaner, then when the PCV closes the crankcase goes into positive pressure and pushes oil out anywhere it can. Its hard on seals and gaskets.

    I see something on the other valve cover, but its hard to tell if its a breather or just a fill cap.
    Ok thanks.. No hose on the oher side...I'll Q-tip the hole with alcohol and try sealing it.....Thanks again....was all set to drop 100+ in a new pump.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1055.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	183955  

  11. #9
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deweydaddy View Post
    Ok thanks.. No hose on the oher side...I'll Q-tip the hole with alcohol and try sealing it.....Thanks again....was all set to drop 100+ in a new pump.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Deweydaddy View Post
    Ok thanks.. No hose on the oher side...I'll Q-tip the hole with alcohol and try sealing it.....Thanks again....was all set to drop 100+ in a new pump.....
    Get yourself a K&N breather, or something that fits the VC hole and run it to the underside of the air cleaner. The crankcase needs to be open to the atmosphere somehow.
    \
    You can install something like this to the underside of the air cleaner base
    LINK: air fitting



    Or you can get these in different hieghts that fit between the top and base of the air clear up against the element.



    But you need to get the other side of the engine open, or the engine will build up pressure when the PCV is closed. Its NOT always open and pulling from the crankcase. It PART of the reason your fuel pump is spitting oil.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  12. #10
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Get yourself a K&N breather, or something that fits the VC hole and run it to the underside of the air cleaner. The crankcase needs to be open to the atmosphere somehow.
    \
    You can install something like this to the underside of the air cleaner base
    LINK: air fitting



    Or you can get these in different hieghts that fit between the top and base of the air clear up against the element.



    But you need to get the other side of the engine open, or the engine will build up pressure when the PCV is closed. Its NOT always open and pulling from the crankcase. It PART of the reason your fuel pump is spitting oil.
    Thanks gn7......I'll look in to doing that.....I just took ownership of this truck in Sept...good runner, just dont like leaks!!!!!!!

  13. #11
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Get yourself a K&N breather, or something that fits the VC hole and run it to the underside of the air cleaner. The crankcase needs to be open to the atmosphere somehow.
    \
    You can install something like this to the underside of the air cleaner base
    LINK: air fitting



    Or you can get these in different hieghts that fit between the top and base of the air clear up against the element.



    But you need to get the other side of the engine open, or the engine will build up pressure when the PCV is closed. Its NOT always open and pulling from the crankcase. It PART of the reason your fuel pump is spitting oil.
    I went to the link you gave me........Geez, I never thought for a min that I needed that....But when you look at the big picture....its a pump (air) and these lil things make it work..More efficiently.....just neat stuff...Thanks again

  14. #12
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Plus it much easier to keep the oil inside them when you're not pressurizing the whole engine. Like I said, if you let the engine breath and not build crankcase pressure, that in itself may be enough to stop the oil spit out the pump vent.

    This is what you need to accomplish. Keep in mind that this drawing is when the PCV is open to the manifold. But when it closes, the crankcase becomes sealed and the crankcase pressurizes. If you have an air cleaner connection then air can can leave the engine up thru the air cleaner.





    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 11-09-2012 at 07:35 PM.

  15. #13
    Senior Member jimclauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mickleton, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Plus it much easier to keep the oil inside them when you're not pressurizing the whole engine. Like I said, if you let the engine breath and not build crankcase pressure, that in itself may be enough to stop the oil spit out the pump vent.

    This is what you need to accomplish. Keep in mind that this drawing is when the PCV is open to the manifold. But when it closes, the crankcase becomes sealed and the crankcase pressurizes. If you have an air cleaner connection then air can can leave the engine up thru the air cleaner.

    Hey Bob maybe thats what I need for my K motor?

  16. #14
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimclauss View Post
    Hey Bob maybe thats what I need for my K motor?
    Not sure you need that, but I bet you seal that thing up tight, and you have gaskets hanging out of it before you finish a heat.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95