Headers vs logs
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 26

Thread:
Headers vs logs

  1. #1
    Senior Member johnf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    395

    Default Headers vs logs

    Have a stock 460 was wondering how much more horsepower is running headers than the log-snail set up??? I have the logs would switch if the improvement was substantial. Thanks johnf

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Led
    Led is offline
    Senior Member Led's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    i have never done a switch, i ran the logs on my covered motor deal, i have heard like 20-30 hp, if its just a play/lake boat, i like the logs, no they dont sound or look as cool, but with logs you dont have to worry about anyone getting burned or keeping them clean, plus you will have to re-route your plumbing a bit. Just my 2 cents

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Logs vs headers...

    I seriously doubt you could gain anywhere near the mentioned 20-30 HP by merely switching over to headers. You might see 2-5 HP increase, and that would depend heavily on what else is in you "combination"... You MIGHT see a reduction in power as some combinations work considerably better with the back pressure the wet logs and snails provide.... IMO, you're better off with the wet logs and the safety they provide to your passengers/skiers/tubers.... Not to mention the Noise laws now being enforced just about anywhere you go.... When everything is considered, IMO, a "family type" boat really doesn't need the "bling/noise" factor headers bring.... Believe me, you DO get tired of the noise and always looking out for the noise police.... You can probably gain the same power increase by merely playing with your ignition timing curve, and re jetting the carb to better suit your needs.....
    Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member jimclauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mickleton, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    I seriously doubt you could gain anywhere near the mentioned 20-30 HP by merely switching over to headers. You might see 2-5 HP increase, and that would depend heavily on what else is in you "combination"... You MIGHT see a reduction in power as some combinations work considerably better with the back pressure the wet logs and snails provide.... IMO, you're better off with the wet logs and the safety they provide to your passengers/skiers/tubers.... Not to mention the Noise laws now being enforced just about anywhere you go.... When everything is considered, IMO, a "family type" boat really doesn't need the "bling/noise" factor headers bring.... Believe me, you DO get tired of the noise and always looking out for the noise police.... You can probably gain the same power increase by merely playing with your ignition timing curve, and re jetting the carb to better suit your needs.....
    Ray
    not true I,ve seen 35 hp difference on the Dyno from stock manifolds to performance ones , Stainless marine Or Eddie. Marine Style .And i'm sure Headers will do the same. they work. We changed them just to see the difference.
    Last edited by jimclauss; 12-20-2012 at 06:36 PM.

  7. #5
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    With a STOCK (as you posted) 460 ford I doubt you would see enough to make it worth it! When you start playing with the engine it might come into play but for know work the carb, ignition and maybe a cam before the header change! I have been there and done that! Without knowing the boat or hull weight it is all precision guess work! good luck! O.G.

  8. #6
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    I agree, with a STOCK 460 the gain will be minimal. Nobody ever saw 30-40 HP increase going from stock iron manifolds on a STOCK 460 to headers in a car and gained 40 hp. If they said they did, their lying. And alumn logs flow alot better than stock iron OEM manifolds.

    Throw a cam, manifold, some carburation and compression at it and the gain can be pretty significant. On a stocker, its not much.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 12-20-2012 at 07:57 PM.

  9. #7
    Senior Member jimclauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mickleton, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I agree, with a STOCK 460 the gain will be minimal. Nobody ever saw 30-40 HP increase going from stock iron manifolds on a STOCK 460 to headers in a car and gained 40 hp. If they said they did, their lying. And alumn logs flow alot better than stock iron OEM manifolds.Throw a cam, manifold, some carburation and compression at it and the gain can be pretty significant. On a stocker, its not much.
    I don't know now much Hp a stock 460 ( I think around 340 hp ) On that maybe 20-25 hp...don't know never dynoed one... but on a chev 454, 420 hp marine engine you will get 35 more hp with a good set of exhaust and rejet the carb. , Now some of this HP could have been to a carb that wasn't jetted properly in the first place, I've seen some nice gains just in the carb being right. But put the motor on the Dyno make a couple of pulls, change the exhaust make a pull and jet the carb make another pull and bam there it is 35 hp. It's not hard to get 20 to 30 Hp out of any engine on a Dyno now that I think about it. I'm not taking about a car engine.
    Last edited by jimclauss; 12-20-2012 at 09:12 PM.

  10. #8
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimclauss View Post
    I don't know now much Hp a stock 460 ( I think around 340 hp ) On that maybe 20-25 hp...don't know never dynoed one... but on a chev 454, 420 hp marine engine you will get 35 more hp with a good set of exhaust and rejet the carb. , I've been there and done that. I'm not taking about a car engine.
    I'd be amazed if a set of headers on a STOCK 460 could muster 20HP over logs.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  11. #9
    Senior Member jimclauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mickleton, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I'd be amazed if a set of headers on a STOCK 460 could muster 20HP over logs.
    I wouldn't but I'm not a Big block ford guy the only one I know that runs real good is Mike Smith's in Canada, PS 4 widow maker. and that runs on injected alky. He's going to come down to my shop before the lakeland race and we are going to Dyno it it;s been down a little on power all last year going to find where it went. Should make somewhere between 900 and 1000 hp. ( everything in the bottom end is Chev. type parts. Crank, Rods , wrist pin piston etc.)
    Last edited by jimclauss; 12-20-2012 at 09:26 PM.

  12. #10
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    All I know is that they don't seem to scrub as much speed off this as you might think. This thing will spank most Ks running around out there. This boat convinced me that you don't have to put up with heat and noise of set of headers to make power.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rick king.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	187106
    If I had a ski flat with rear seats, I wouldn't even consider headers. Wet or dry.

    Isn't the REAL question how much does it effect the acceleration and top speed of the boat? I doubt the speed difference for a stock 460 would about to 2 MPH. In a jet, probably less than that.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 12-20-2012 at 10:05 PM.

  13. #11
    northern member Canuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nechako
    Posts
    602

    Default

    with the crutch on it in a ski boat logs are fine but if your na you don't think lightnings would give you 30 hp on a 650 hp engine?
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 If your ran a cammer your odds of finishing WERE ZERO.

  14. #12
    northern member Canuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nechako
    Posts
    602

    Default

    kinda jumped in on this one gums flapin, just read the o/p ya on a stock 460 not 30 hp maybe 5or10 . if a guy was workin at tuning it up with cam intake ported heads blahblah i want headers .
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 If your ran a cammer your odds of finishing WERE ZERO.

  15. #13
    Senior Member steveo143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Placentia, CA
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    [QUOTE=gn7;1759870]All I know is that they don't seem to scrub as much speed off this as you might think. This thing will spank most Ks running around out there. This boat convinced me that you don't have to put up with heat and noise of set of headers to make power.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rick king.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	187106
    If I had a ski flat with rear seats, I wouldn't even consider headers. Wet or dry.

    Isn't the REAL question how much does it effect the acceleration and top speed of the boat? I doubt the speed difference for a stock 460 would about to 2 MPH. In a jet, probably less than that.[/QUOTE

    I think that boat of Rick's opened a lot of eyes. Put a set of Banks or PFM logs on it and probably pick up at least another 30-40 hp.
    steveo143 AKA DiMarco 21 II



    Now totally Green on E-85, saving the world one ear of corn at a time!
    RIP Davey B and Denis and Chris and Bob GN7

  16. #14
    Official Test Driver BOOSTPOWER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    WORLDWIDE visit BOOSTPOWER.COM
    Posts
    863
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Logs actually work fairly well on moderate performance engines. Here is a twin turbo motor with logs. 👍Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356090389.367079.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  78.8 KB


    Sent from My Boostpower Marine Efi Beacon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95