high speed bypass
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 31

Thread:
high speed bypass

  1. #1
    Senior Member steele211's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kingsburg,CA
    Posts
    426

    Default high speed bypass

    When dealing with mech. Inj. And tuning for changes in DA what is the correct way to keep all equal with the high speed with the change in system pressure? Do you change bypass pressure or can the same thing be accomplished with a change in pill size in the bypass.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member wagspe208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    waterloo
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Drag app? or just out lake running?
    Wags

  4. #3
    Senior Member steele211's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kingsburg,CA
    Posts
    426

    Default

    For now just the lake but going to be drag racing as soon as I can find some fabric to make my pockets a little deeper

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member wagspe208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    waterloo
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    How much of a change in DA? Several thousand feet, or minor stuff?
    Wags

  7. #5
    Senior Member steele211's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kingsburg,CA
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Over the course of a season a couple thou. wouldn't surprise me. Looking like a 10-12 psi change +/- from base line

  8. #6
    Senior Member Racer J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Visalia CA
    Posts
    537

    Default

    For lake use I would look for a bypass that doesn't use a pill. I would try one that regulates how much it passes by pump pressure, that way if you are cruising around just past your pop off pressure you won't lean the thing out by passing a (set) pill size.

  9. #7
    Ain't Right Racin piston in the wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sapulpa ok
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    Have your pump flowed and buy a tune up. Fuel Injection Enterprises.

  10. #8
    Senior Member jimclauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mickleton, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steele211 View Post
    Over the course of a season a couple thou. wouldn't surprise me. Looking like a 10-12 psi change +/- from base line
    gas or alky? and with the high speed you change the presure that it by passes at. after you change the main pill
    Last edited by jimclauss; 12-30-2012 at 06:50 PM.

  11. #9
    Senior Member steele211's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kingsburg,CA
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Alky. Does it change based on pressure change like 1-1 or is it like everything else and not that easy

  12. #10
    Ain't Right Racin piston in the wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sapulpa ok
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steele211 View Post
    Alky. Does it change based on pressure change like 1-1 or is it like everything else and not that easy
    Not that easy. You change the high speed jet or spring psi, it changes everything. You change the high speed pill the nozzle jets/ports ect need changed to keep the system psi where it should be to keep the fuel curve where it should be.

  13. #11
    Senior Member jimclauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mickleton, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steele211 View Post
    Alky. Does it change based on pressure change like 1-1 or is it like everything else and not that easy
    alky is not near as hard as a gas engine but it's not that easy either. you can use the same nozzles but the fuel psi and curve has to be changed.
    Last edited by jimclauss; 12-30-2012 at 08:56 PM.

  14. #12
    Distinguished Member David 519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    5,754

    Default

    There's HP to be had with a high speed to be sure. That said, for what you're doing, I wouldn't even bother running a high speed. We started with a high speed, port nozzels, pump loop and the combinatin was a PITA. It made good HP, but we were always chasing something. At the suggestion of and with the help of Fiat 48, we pulled everything off, went to a smaller pump, everything through the hat and worked with our nozzles until we had a reasonable main jet. One return line, no pump loop, no high speed. Super simple, very consistant, easy to live with and easily ran 7.70 @ 140 in a heavy flat. You wanted to go faster, put a bit more blower to it. Air got bad, drop the pill a couple #'s... In a fast bracket or lake deal, I wouldn't run anything more than that... Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    ....... David 519 is 100% correct........

    Quote Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins82 View Post
    .....I think people forget that racing is supposed to fun. Losing shouldn't be discouraging it should motivate you work on your pile to make it faster.....

  15. #13
    Senior Member steele211's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kingsburg,CA
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Maybe this is what I should be asking... Is there a fuel psi that I should be working toward or trying to maintain?

  16. #14
    Senior Member jimclauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mickleton, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David 519 View Post
    There's HP to be had with a high speed to be sure. That said, for what you're doing, I wouldn't even bother running a high speed. We started with a high speed, port nozzels, pump loop and the combinatin was a PITA. It made good HP, but we were always chasing something. At the suggestion of and with the help of Fiat 48, we pulled everything off, went to a smaller pump, everything through the hat and worked with our nozzles until we had a reasonable main jet. One return line, no pump loop, no high speed. Super simple, very consistant, easy to live with and easily ran 7.70 @ 140 in a heavy flat. You wanted to go faster, put a bit more blower to it. Air got bad, drop the pill a couple #'s... In a fast bracket or lake deal, I wouldn't run anything more than that... Good luck.
    I agree with a blower motor it is not necessary

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95