still having carb problems
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 30

Thread:
still having carb problems

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    153

    Default still having carb problems

    Here whats happening when i kill my motor they are leaking by somewhere i have a pair of 1050 dominators on a holley pro dominator tunnel ram. I have took them loose and spaced them with the fuel pump on can see any fuel leaking,have checked all needle and seats,set the floats right in the middle were they are at the bottom of the brass plugs have the fuel pressure at 6psi and even droped it down to 4 psi to see if it helped but it didnt. This filling number 8 cylinder full of fuel were it hydrolocks.

    Just wondered if anyone has any damn idea whats going on here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alcohol carbs 012.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	224202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alcohol carbs 013.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	224210  

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Matt, on the other thread you said it was the #6 cylinder. Now its the #8. Which is it.

    It would take almost all the fuel in all 4 bowls to hydraulic that thing. Have you checked to see which float is low after it sits for awhile? It would help narrow things down to one carb and one bowl. You can't hydraulic a cylinder without at least one bowl being virtually empty. I would check which one before you try starting it.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    153

    Default carb

    Sorry gn7 it was number 8 cylinder and has always been number 8 , its not draining the float bowl all the way down anywere thats what im not understanding at all. I pulled the front carb off and it has number 8 intake port half full of fuel just sitting there right now. What i dont understand either is the motor runs great when you get the fuel blown out of it and sits there idling nice and everything just when you kill it shit goes to hell fast.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Reservoir Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Emmett, Idaho
    Posts
    1,144

    Default

    wouldnt a blown power valve cause that???

  7. #5
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    A clogged air bleed can cause fuel to siphon out of the bowl. And like GN7 said, it has to be coming from one or more bowls... Doesn't look like you run nitrous.

    If it were me, I'd pull the metering blocks off, remove any power valves and blow compressed air through all of the passages on the main body and metering blocks, check the gaskets for the power valve (if equipped), reassemble, and test.
    Last edited by Budweiser; 02-20-2013 at 07:20 PM.

  8. #6
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    wouldnt a blown power valve cause that???
    Yes, but in an earlier thread he said it doesn't have PVs. Could be a gasket on the PV that isn't seated right. But doubtful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Budweiser View Post
    A clogged air bleed can cause fuel to siphon out of the bowl. And like GN7 said, it has to be coming from one or more bowls... Doesn't look like you run nitrous.

    If it were me, I'd pull the metering blocks off, remove any power valves and blow compressed air through all of the passages on the main body and metering blocks, check the gaskets for the power valve (if equipped), reassemble, and test.
    Thats my thoughts. But its hard to believe all the fuel is coming from one bowl. If it is, it should be EASY to tell which one.
    Alot of people don't realize the air bleeds serve double duty. One is to aerate the fuel before its discharged out of the booster, or idle circuit, and the second is to act as a vacuum break when the engine is shut off.

    My guess is it is a blocked idle air bleed.

    If the #8 is the primarly cylinder affected, does this happen on the trailer, or the water, or both. With the boat on the trailer and nose down, its a given why it the #8 that is effected.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  9. #7
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default



    Clean these with compressed air, maybe a little carb cleaner too, but air does a good job alone.

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    153

    Default carb

    Alright guys i pulled the carbs back apart and found one needle and seat leaking by because the oring in the middle of it was old and flat not a oring anymore, guess i didnt check them very damn good sorry for wasting all of you guys time i think i have it fixed now

  11. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    47

    Default Carb Problems

    Replace all the o-rings on your needle/seat assembly's, the alcohol in todays gas destroys them! My dominator did the same thing from one race to the next last year.

  12. #10
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefish View Post
    Replace all the o-rings on your needle/seat assembly's, the alcohol in todays gas destroys them! My dominator did the same thing from one race to the next last year.
    Why is there alcohol in your gas?



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    153

    Default carbs

    Dont have alcohol in my gas running torco 110 dont think theres any alcohol in that but hell never can tell these days

  14. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    47

    Default Carb Problems

    We were running the best "Pump Gas" we could find in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas. Don't know if it was the gas, or they just don't make o-rings like they used to!! When we had the problem, both o-rings were hard and squared off. Another racer told us he had the same problem and it was the gasoline????

  15. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    47

    Default Carb Problems

    To clarify my post, I am not a chemist, but I understand that "Gasoline" is a component of crude oil that is boiled-off [refined]. Straight gasoline is not suitable for today's internal combustion engines. Therefore "Pump Gasoline" is a blend of additives. The most popular blends are a combination of gasoline, aromatic hydrocarbons, ethers, and alcohol [usually ethanol or methanol]. This blend will also vary by the refinery producing the fuel, the area the crude oil is from, the State in which it is produced, and the season of the year. In our area the "Pumps" are labeled "containes up to 10% ETHANOL" [alcohol].

    Modern Gasoline also may contain paraffins, naphthenes, olefins, butane, and many other additives.

    It appears to me the o-rings used in the Holley Carburators may not be compatable with the modern gasolines sold in certain regions of the country.

    SO, What is in your "Gasoline" or "Race Gas" ???

  16. #14
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefish View Post
    To clarify my post, I am not a chemist, but I understand that "Gasoline" is a component of crude oil that is boiled-off [refined]. Straight gasoline is not suitable for today's internal combustion engines. Therefore "Pump Gasoline" is a blend of additives. The most popular blends are a combination of gasoline, aromatic hydrocarbons, ethers, and alcohol [usually ethanol or methanol]. This blend will also vary by the refinery producing the fuel, the area the crude oil is from, the State in which it is produced, and the season of the year. In our area the "Pumps" are labeled "containes up to 10% ETHANOL" [alcohol].

    Modern Gasoline also may contain paraffins, naphthenes, olefins, butane, and many other additives.

    It appears to me the o-rings used in the Holley Carburators may not be compatable with the modern gasolines sold in certain regions of the country.

    SO, What is in your "Gasoline" or "Race Gas" ???
    "Straight" gasoline hasn't been sold since WWII. Straight gasoline can only support about 8.5 to 1 compression.
    Most 110 octane race gas is virtually the same compounds sold at every station in the country as "premium" in 1970 and earlier.

    The point is, what kind of "racing" are you doing with TODAY'S pump gas? Are you running pump gas because of a rule?



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95