oil cooler opinions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 24

Thread:
oil cooler opinions

  1. #1
    Senior Member 67weiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    985

    Default oil cooler opinions

    I'm in the process of gathering all the parts to get my oil cooler installed. I have a 2" remote cooler just like the one Rex sells. I just ordered a Canton sandwich adapter to get the oil to the cooler. Plan on running -10 to and from the cooler. I run a HV pump, 10% increase in volume. I am going to run my water dump from the motor through the cooler then overboard, Hopefully help heat the cold oil and not cool it too much. I am seeing upwards of 300*. I have four corner water outlets and plumbed it from front to back on each side, tee'd and back to the transom. At the transom, I tee'd them together at the bulkhead fitting. I am thinking, maybe run one side thru the cooler with a seperate bulkhead fitting and the other side straight overboard. I don't inject water to my headers so all the water is going thru the dumps.

    I would like to hear any do's and don'ts from you guys. Anything I'm missing that may help?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 67weiman View Post
    I'm in the process of gathering all the parts to get my oil cooler installed. I have a 2" remote cooler just like the one Rex sells. I just ordered a Canton sandwich adapter to get the oil to the cooler. Plan on running -10 to and from the cooler. I run a HV pump, 10% increase in volume. I am going to run my water dump from the motor through the cooler then overboard, Hopefully help heat the cold oil and not cool it too much. I am seeing upwards of 300*. I have four corner water outlets and plumbed it from front to back on each side, tee'd and back to the transom. At the transom, I tee'd them together at the bulkhead fitting. I am thinking, maybe run one side thru the cooler with a seperate bulkhead fitting and the other side straight overboard. I don't inject water to my headers so all the water is going thru the dumps.

    I would like to hear any do's and don'ts from you guys. Anything I'm missing that may help?
    It will work fine so long as the 2 dump lines come from a common point that is supplied by both side of the engine. Like a thermostat type cover on the manifold.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  4. #3
    Senior Member 67weiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    985

    Default

    Thanks Bob.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    this topic came up sometime last year. I was thinking about switching the feed water to my cooler like you are doing. Still might do it before Spring. I figure I can give it a try and see what happens but would like to keep the oil around 220-230 max. Not sure it will do it plumbed like this. But I guess with running Mobil 1 the oil will take 240-250 just fine. I just don't want to run it that hot.

    S CP

    Jon

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  7. #5
    Senior Member 67weiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    985

    Default

    That's my concern. I don't want to cool the oil too much but take some of the heat out of it. I would be happy with oil in the 250* range. My problem is, once I get it hot, it stays hot like 280*+ even just cruising. I run a partial filled block so oil gets hot...

  8. #6
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    what oil are you running ?

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  9. #7
    Senior Member wagspe208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    waterloo
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Buy a thermostat regulated cooler. Only way to go.
    Wags

    (oh, sure they are cheap)

  10. #8
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wagspe208 View Post
    Buy a thermostat regulated cooler. Only way to go.
    Wags

    (oh, sure they are cheap)
    How many thermostat regulated coolers do you know of?



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  11. #9
    Senior Member wagspe208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    waterloo
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Uh.... one. That should be the only one he needs.
    Wags

    KE Performance - Thermostatic Oil Control
    Last edited by wagspe208; 02-23-2013 at 09:57 PM.

  12. #10
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wagspe208 View Post
    Uh.... one. That should be the only one he needs.
    Wags

    KE Performance - Thermostatic Oil Control
    Those are thermostats FOR cooloers, not THERMOSTATICALLY REGULATED COOLERS. There are dozens of oil thermostats that you ADD to a cooler.

    I only know of one cooler that is thermostically regulated.





    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 02-23-2013 at 10:10 PM.

  13. #11
    Senior Member wagspe208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    waterloo
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Oh, I am sorry dude. I thought the op was looking for a solution to regulating oil temp/ not running it to cold. I was just trying to help.
    Hey, OP.... this is a sweet piece. even if it is a thermostaticallycontrolled/ not regulating whatever the fuck piece.
    Wags

    I looked again. Bob is right. It is just a thermostat to do what you want to do. I won't make that mistake again.
    Last edited by wagspe208; 02-23-2013 at 11:41 PM.

  14. #12
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wagspe208 View Post
    Oh, I am sorry dude. I thought the op was looking for a solution to regulating oil temp/ not running it to cold. I was just trying to help.
    Hey, OP.... this is a sweet piece. even if it is a thermostaticallycontrolled/ not regulating whatever the fuck piece.
    Wags

    I looked again. Bob is right. It is just a thermostat to do what you want to do. I won't make that mistake again.
    Ah comb your feathers back down!

    The KE piece is nice, and the price tells you they are very proud of it. Its also pretty freek'n long by the time you stick a filter on it. Some boats can handle that length and still get the filter on and off, let alone clear the floor.

    There are other options, and much cheaper.

    LINK: Canton oil thermostat

    LINK: Mocal Oil thermostat

    LINK: Earl's Thermostat

    I only pointed this out Wags, because I am interested in a oil cooler that has a thermostat built in other than the H&M piece, if there is such an animal out there. Like I said, there is no shortage of thermostats out there on the market. I was hoping you knew of a piece that I was unaware of.

    The after market add on thermostats tend to add pressure drop that you need to address with the pump relief spring, or be willing to accept lower than normal oil pressure.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 02-24-2013 at 12:02 AM.

  15. #13
    Highaboosta Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ada, Michigan
    Posts
    3,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 67weiman View Post
    I run a partial filled block so oil gets hot...
    That answers my question. I was wondering why the oil got so hot.
    I've got to run my engine pretty hard to get it up to 220.

    After putting a nice cooler and temp gauge on there I found I never needed to run cooling water through it so I took it off and sold it.

    Twin Turbo 1800 HP V-Drive lake boat

    http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=MAH05771.mp4

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    No one cares about your buddies old antiquated garden hose technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMUS View Post
    I think I could run more boost but it's a real hand full right now

  16. #14
    Senior Member 67weiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    985

    Default

    I'm running synthetic vr1.

    Thanks guys. I would like to get a thermostat control for the oil but, that will most likely have to wait for a while. I will see how it goes without for now. As it is, once I get the oil hot, it doesn't cool off much. Even just a long idle in the no wake it will stay upwards of 280*.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95