opinions on the chevy 8100 in a jet boat
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 42

Thread:
opinions on the chevy 8100 in a jet boat

  1. #1
    Senior Member $uperJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    385

    Default opinions on the chevy 8100 in a jet boat

    simple question. i may have a line on a complete engine with harness and ecm for a decent price to me and wonder what the opinion out there is as power for a jet boat. are upgrades cost effective and gains worth the time? is it a reliable platform over the tried and true 7.4? anything worth mentioning in general good or bad please let it fly.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member 67weiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    985

    Default

    You plan on running all the sensors?

    Isn't it just a stroked 454. ???
    Last edited by 67weiman; 02-27-2013 at 09:55 PM.

  4. #3
    New here Beer:30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    4,219

    Default

    I am an advocate for the 8100 Vortec, but in a small jet boat you would be better off doing an LS motor. Lighter with almost the same power.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    EFI is the wave of the future. There can be no denying it. Electronics have been on the leading edge of our entire lives. Not only os the magneto dead, but the standard issue CDI is wavering. Its all about total fuel, air AND spark control. Anybody that thinks its not has their head up their ass.


    2001 SleekCraft 30' Heritage SSB, open-bow mid-cuddy. 496HO / Bravo-I.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member $uperJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    385

    Default

    after thinking about it i feel i left the reply too broad. i guess i should have asked the question better. try this. If you had a chevy 8100 complete with ecm and harness and were going to put it in a jet boat, what would you do to it? keep the efi? carb? specific cams or manifolds?

  7. #5
    New here Beer:30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    4,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by $uperJoe View Post
    after thinking about it i feel i left the reply too broad. i guess i should have asked the question better. try this. If you had a chevy 8100 complete with ecm and harness and were going to put it in a jet boat, what would you do to it? keep the efi? carb? specific cams or manifolds?
    If you've got it, feel free to do it! It's STILL A BBC and in stock trim has over 520 ft lbs of TQ. Absolutely keep the EFI - why would you want to go BACKWARDS to a carb??

    It's FULL IRON and very heavy (BBC), so again - for a light little jetboat, lots of peeps here have gone to LS motors. The weight savings alone makes up for the lack of canted-valves.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    EFI is the wave of the future. There can be no denying it. Electronics have been on the leading edge of our entire lives. Not only os the magneto dead, but the standard issue CDI is wavering. Its all about total fuel, air AND spark control. Anybody that thinks its not has their head up their ass.


    2001 SleekCraft 30' Heritage SSB, open-bow mid-cuddy. 496HO / Bravo-I.

  8. #6
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beer:30 View Post
    If you've got it, feel free to do it! It's STILL A BBC and in stock trim has over 520 ft lbs of TQ. Absolutely keep the EFI - why would you want to go BACKWARDS to a carb??
    LOTS of good reasons to go carb in a jet boat. But first & foremost I would say so you dont have to put this in your engine compartment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wires09.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	229698

    With that being said I dont like the 8100 because of limited availability of aftermarket parts. And have read that there is no way to put a carb on that engine because of the available manifolds, the distibution would be terrible. So if your going this route definately put the big ball of wires/sensors & computer.
    "if we keep doing it the same way we always do..we will always get the same results"
    H8-2-W8
    [email protected] first pass

  9. #7
    Senior Member $uperJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hass828 View Post
    LOTS of good reasons to go carb in a jet boat. But first & foremost I would say so you dont have to put this in your engine compartment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wires09.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	229698

    With that being said I dont like the 8100 because of limited availability of aftermarket parts. And have read that there is no way to put a carb on that engine because of the available manifolds, the distibution would be terrible. So if your going this route definately put the big ball of wires/sensors & computer.
    great points. those are the kinds of things i would be looking for people to share. thanks for the reply. anyone else?

  10. #8
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beer:30 View Post
    I am an advocate for the 8100 Vortec, but in a small jet boat you would be better off doing an LS motor. Lighter with almost the same power.
    Why don't you share you vast knowledge of the 8.1 and explain its fabulous attributes over the MK and GEN enignes? Please, explain how it is superior to a tall deck MK or Gen with 4.25 bore and 4.375 crank. I'd love to read that!
    Quote Originally Posted by $uperJoe View Post
    great points. those are the kinds of things i would be looking for people to share. thanks for the reply. anyone else?
    You either keep the EFI and the tangle mess of shit that goes with it, and the LIMITED power potential that goes along with it, or you go "backwards" as Beer says, and buy carb manifold, of which I belive there is only 1, possibly 2 to choose from. Then you get to buy some timer device to fire the 8 coils so you can have an ignition, because the thing has no provision for tha distributor.

    Block, heads, cams, manifold, connecting rods, and pistons are all unique to the 8100.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  11. #9
    Led
    Led is offline
    Senior Member Led's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hass828 View Post
    LOTS of good reasons to go carb in a jet boat. But first & foremost I would say so you dont have to put this in your engine compartment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wires09.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	229698

    With that being said I dont like the 8100 because of limited availability of aftermarket parts. And have read that there is no way to put a carb on that engine because of the available manifolds, the distibution would be terrible. So if your going this route definately put the big ball of wires/sensors & computer.

    Water in one wire, turns connection bad.....troubleshoot for days...no thanks

  12. #10
    Bostick Racing Engines six-oh-nine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, Ca.
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    because the thing has no provision for tha distributor.
    False.
    The Bostick®

    Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want.

  13. #11
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by six-oh-nine View Post
    False.
    OK my mistake. So he saves on not having to purchase a timer.
    Still, I'd love to hear all the benefits of the 8100 over a tall deck MK or Gen with the same bore/stroke, verses the lack of READILY available parts.
    Dollar for dollar, I can't see how you can call it anything but a loser.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  14. #12
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hass828 View Post
    LOTS of good reasons to go carb in a jet boat. But first & foremost I would say so you dont have to put this in your engine compartment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wires09.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	229698

    With that being said I dont like the 8100 because of limited availability of aftermarket parts. And have read that there is no way to put a carb on that engine because of the available manifolds, the distibution would be terrible. So if your going this route definately put the big ball of wires/sensors & computer.
    you know, there are some people around here that would look at that rats nest crap like it's porn. start slobberin. gettin lightheaded just thinkin about it.

  15. #13
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    you know, there are some people around here that would look at that rats nest crap like it's porn. start slobberin. gettin lightheaded just thinkin about it.
    I do. I think about a pile 1000 times that size, and a gallon of gasoline to get it started. Then off to the recycler.

    Ah the days when I could do that in my back yard in a 55 gal drum and nobody called the fire depeartment, or the AQMD. That stuff bought a shit load of toys when I was young.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  16. #14
    New here Beer:30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    4,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Why don't you share you vast knowledge of the 8.1 and explain its fabulous attributes over the MK and GEN enignes? Please, explain how it is superior to a tall deck MK or Gen with 4.25 bore and 4.375 crank. I'd love to read that!


    You either keep the EFI and the tangle mess of shit that goes with it, and the LIMITED power potential that goes along with it, or you go "backwards" as Beer says, and buy carb manifold, of which I belive there is only 1, possibly 2 to choose from. Then you get to buy some timer device to fire the 8 coils so you can have an ignition, because the thing has no provision for tha distributor.

    Block, heads, cams, manifold, connecting rods, and pistons are all unique to the 8100.
    I never said it was anything about comparing to any other combo, other than LS for the weight. I really don't care how it would stack up to any other bore and stroke combo, as that was not the question - was it?

    You have never proven ANY limitations of power by EFI. NONE.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    EFI is the wave of the future. There can be no denying it. Electronics have been on the leading edge of our entire lives. Not only os the magneto dead, but the standard issue CDI is wavering. Its all about total fuel, air AND spark control. Anybody that thinks its not has their head up their ass.


    2001 SleekCraft 30' Heritage SSB, open-bow mid-cuddy. 496HO / Bravo-I.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95