Time to quit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 53

Thread:
Time to quit?

  1. #1
    Senior Member wagspe208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    waterloo
    Posts
    2,034

    Default Time to quit?

    I know, this is nothing engine, but I really don't give a f about those other sections.
    How do you know when it is time to give up the racing thing?
    Wags

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wagspe208 View Post
    I know, this is nothing engine, but I really don't give a f about those other sections.
    How do you know when it is time to give up the racing thing?
    Wags
    When it's not fun any more.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  4. #3
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    When it's not fun any more.
    BAM!!!!! X 26, DEAD ON!
    Actually Wags, I am a little surpised you even asked.

    Exactly why we are not out there this year.

    Some will say financial, but really, thats the same as saying the fun isn't there. When its "FUN ENOUGH" you manage to find ways to pinch pennys and race. Its much harder to give up somethngs to race when the racing as fun as it once was.

    There is a difference between QUIT racing, and stepping back for a breather.

    Not sure you ever really stop racing if its in you blood. We are racing the boat this year, but other things are looking more and more interesting. Been thru almost all of them at one time or another. Maybe full cirlce back to asphalt drags agian.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member wagspe208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    waterloo
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Well, my best boat racing buddy is supposed to be done. He is totally fun to race with, joke with, etc. Sometimes fun to watch. Fun to drink with.
    Sure, I like other racers, but he basically brought me up into this crap.
    Maybe I am spoiled by our success. Winning is not what it used to be. It used to be such a thrill. So kick ass. The competition was bad ass, and we could sneak a win out once in a while. Now, we have a real chance at any race we go to. We don't take it so serious. I know that sounds arrogant and makes me look like a prick, but it is true. We aren't chumps. Sure, we have those weekends.
    So, fun.... It is still challenging.... racers are way better. Some guys we can't beat, but few.
    Fun... hmmm... it quit being fun a long time ago. It was still a challenge.
    Maybe I just have the sept 31 to end of may don't give a hell blues.
    Wags

  7. #5
    Distinguished Member David 519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    5,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wagspe208 View Post
    I know, this is nothing engine, but I really don't give a f about those other sections.
    How do you know when it is time to give up the racing thing?
    Wags
    Like others have said, when it's not fun anymore. Chasing points can be exciting but can also take the fun out of racing when you start feeling you HAVE to make a race. When I was getting tired of asphalt cars and started talking about selling it, my wife talked me into just parking for a year just to be sure. Took about 2 years to decide I wasn't done racing, just done with cars. Sold it and bought the yellow boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    ....... David 519 is 100% correct........

    Quote Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins82 View Post
    .....I think people forget that racing is supposed to fun. Losing shouldn't be discouraging it should motivate you work on your pile to make it faster.....

  8. #6
    Senior Member EVILFORCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wagspe208 View Post
    Well, my best boat racing buddy is supposed to be done. He is totally fun to race with, joke with, etc. Sometimes fun to watch. Fun to drink with.
    Sure, I like other racers, but he basically brought me up into this crap.
    Maybe I am spoiled by our success. Winning is not what it used to be. It used to be such a thrill. So kick ass. The competition was bad ass, and we could sneak a win out once in a while. Now, we have a real chance at any race we go to. We don't take it so serious. I know that sounds arrogant and makes me look like a prick, but it is true. We aren't chumps. Sure, we have those weekends.
    So, fun.... It is still challenging.... racers are way better. Some guys we can't beat, but few.
    Fun... hmmm... it quit being fun a long time ago. It was still a challenge.
    Maybe I just have the sept 31 to end of may don't give a hell blues.
    Wags

    I think it is going around.

  9. #7
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    i say it's different for everybody. i never started racing because it was "fun" and i won't quit because it's "not fun". getting your ass kicked isn't fun. making really dumbass bonehead mistakes isn't fun. and if a person's actually raced and raced for more than 5 minutes, there are worlds more aggravations and frustrations than there is "fun". it's challenging, it's tough, and it's a lot of work. the hard is what makes it great. if it was easy, it wouldn't have the same meaning.
    if there's no more challenge, if it's "too easy", if there's nothing more that you want to accomplish that helps motivate, then maybe it's time.

  10. #8
    Senior Member wagspe208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    waterloo
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Maybe I should just take another year off. (did that in 08 I think) I could use the money and energy I spend on racing into drinking, riding my harley, and finding a 25 year old girlfriend. LOL. Something to think about.
    Wags

  11. #9
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David 519 View Post
    Like others have said, when it's not fun anymore. Chasing points can be exciting but can also take the fun out of racing when you start feeling you HAVE to make a race. When I was getting tired of asphalt cars and started talking about selling it, my wife talked me into just parking for a year just to be sure. Took about 2 years to decide I wasn't done racing, just done with cars. Sold it and bought the yellow boat.
    This is kind of where I am right now. Coupkle things I would still like to do with the boat, but my main focus is drifting. If you do this for shear JOY, then you can stay with it for ever I guess, but you can't win if you are not totally focused. I have other things I would enjoy more right now. It becomes a monetary prioirty at some point. Only so much time and money to go around, and you put it where is will bring you the most pleasure, at least with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    i say it's different for everybody. i never started racing because it was "fun" and i won't quit because it's "not fun". getting your ass kicked isn't fun. making really dumbass bonehead mistakes isn't fun. and if a person's actually raced and raced for more than 5 minutes, there are worlds more aggravations and frustrations than there is "fun". it's challenging, it's tough, and it's a lot of work. the hard is what makes it great. if it was easy, it wouldn't have the same meaning.
    if there's no more challenge, if it's "too easy", if there's nothing more that you want to accomplish that helps motivate, then maybe it's time.
    I have to say Bob, the challanges in some ways were the FUN. We could find our ass with both hands when we started running the GN. Figureing it out was a challange and actually pretty enjoyable. There is some personal reward in over coming. Staying on top is much much much less fun than getting there. It becomes a "been there, done that, whats next" type of thing with me. Can't explain it.
    We may build a asphalt drag car for Bill's boy if the track at Havasu goes thru. NOW THAT WOULD BE FUN!

    No matter, it the PEOPLE you are around that are the biggest kick. I will never stop enjoying the boat races, even after the competeing is over. The people ROCK! Well, most of them any way



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  12. #10
    Distinguished Member David 519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    5,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    This is kind of where I am right now. Coupkle things I would still like to do with the boat, but my main focus is drifting. If you do this for shear JOY, then you can stay with it for ever I guess, but you can't win if you are not totally focused. I have other things I would enjoy more right now. It becomes a monetary prioirty at some point. Only so much time and money to go around, and you put it where is will bring you the most pleasure, at least with me.
    Man for me, going to the track is pure fun. From the time I pull the trailer through the gate, I'm as happy as I get. The hardware, the friends, the whole deal is just a blast. If all I wanted was agravation, I can work as much as I want and at least make $$$ for the agravation!!!. I will say all the late nights in the shop doing all the prep is beginning to get tedious. But if you're not putting in the work in the shop, your a duck at the track and that sucks.
    I gotta say all the prep to start circle racing has me as excited as when I first started drag racing. Being at the beginning of the learning curve will be a bit tough, but I can't wait for our first race....
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    ....... David 519 is 100% correct........

    Quote Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins82 View Post
    .....I think people forget that racing is supposed to fun. Losing shouldn't be discouraging it should motivate you work on your pile to make it faster.....

  13. #11
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wagspe208 View Post
    Well, my best boat racing buddy is supposed to be done. He is totally fun to race with, joke with, etc. Sometimes fun to watch. Fun to drink with.
    Sure, I like other racers, but he basically brought me up into this crap.
    Maybe I am spoiled by our success. Winning is not what it used to be. It used to be such a thrill. So kick ass. The competition was bad ass, and we could sneak a win out once in a while. Now, we have a real chance at any race we go to. We don't take it so serious. I know that sounds arrogant and makes me look like a prick, but it is true. We aren't chumps. Sure, we have those weekends.
    So, fun.... It is still challenging.... racers are way better. Some guys we can't beat, but few.
    Fun... hmmm... it quit being fun a long time ago. It was still a challenge.
    Maybe I just have the sept 31 to end of may don't give a hell blues.
    Wags
    you know, for a lot of years there was a group of us that race njba. we all pitted together, hung out together, etc. great friends, and had a lot of fun doing it. made even more friends all over the country. had a great time at that kdba weekend, and that was all fun.
    but none of that that was the reason i raced or have kept racing.

    i think this is all about the great weather you've been having back there....

  14. #12
    Senior Member TNYoungblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    5,110

    Default

    Wags I really hope to see your azz at KY lake this year
    WFLC The REAL #321 Kentucky Drag Boat Association 2016 NJBA 10.0 High Points Champ

  15. #13
    Senior Member wagspe208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    waterloo
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Figureing it out was a challange and actually pretty enjoyable. There is some personal reward in over coming. Staying on top is much much much less fun than getting there. It becomes a "been there, done that, whats next" type of thing with me. Can't explain it.
    I think this sums up how I feel. Especially "staying on top is much less fun than getting there".
    I won't sell red this week or anything. Maybe I'll park her for a month or 2. Maybe a year or 2. Maybe someone will make me an offer I can't refuse (but I doubt it)
    Hopefully just the weather.
    Wags

  16. #14
    Senior Member tigertooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    877

    Default

    [QUOTE=wagspe208;2010274]Maybe I should just take another year off. (did that in 08 I think) I could use the money and energy I spend on racing into drinking, riding my harley, and finding a 25 year old girlfriend. LOL. Something to think about.
    Wags[/QUO

    Take the John Force approach. Teach Trish to drive it. That will keep your mind active. When my granddaughter turns 16 she will be in my boat. Just 8 more years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95