How to deal with water in fuel??
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 22

Thread:
How to deal with water in fuel??

  1. #1
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Question How to deal with water in fuel??

    I think I have water in my fuel. Is there an easy way to treat or fix the 8 or so gallons I have in there? I was thinking about pumping it out into a gallon size glass jar, let it sit and separate, then poor the fuel off the top back in to the tank over and over until I stop getting water. Is there an easier way, maybe some sort of additive that will allow the engine to just burn through it?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Highaboosta Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ada, Michigan
    Posts
    3,431

    Default

    I did the glass jug with my pontoon boat.
    The water is easy to see in the bottom of the jug.
    There probably isn't that much.

    Twin Turbo 1800 HP V-Drive lake boat

    http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=MAH05771.mp4

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    No one cares about your buddies old antiquated garden hose technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMUS View Post
    I think I could run more boost but it's a real hand full right now

  4. #3
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Exclamation

    If you don't already have one, put a fuel/water separator in the system. They sell them at places like tractor supply store, and they are cheap.

    Depending on how much water you have in there, denatured alcohol is hydrophilic and absorbs the water and then evaporates off. But, if it is a large amount of water, best to allow them to separate out then get the fuel off the top, like you said. But then use the denatured alcohol, and add a fuel/water separator before sending that gas to the engine.

    WATER IN GAS

    Good luck.

    HJ

    ***FOR SALE*** 1978 19' Full Stringer Hawaiian Molokai Jet Boat w/ Berkeley 12JC-AB and Chevy 440 Tall Deck ***FOR SALE***

    Quote Originally Posted by mako shark mark View Post
    Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that the hull is a special mixture of speedcote, herculiner and rain-x, all blended together- good for another 8 mph top end.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    cfm
    cfm is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,263

    Default

    If you can't remove the tank to turn it over and fully empty, I would get a cheap electric fuel pump and use a rubber inlit line that you can reach all sections of the tank. Tilt boat so that all fuel/water can get in a spot you can remove all of it.

    Fuel water seperators are good at removing small amt's of water ie: using continuously when tank contents are good. Will help with small amts from sweat and etc. Will not help much if bad tank of gas.

    Water sits under fuel, therefore many fuel tank pick-ups can't help you remove the amt of liquid under the pic-up entrance. This may be a lot ! Imagine 1/2" high x length of your tank.

  7. #5
    CarbGuy RumRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lake Lanier
    Posts
    80

    Default

    If it's only 8 gallons I'd drain the tank, and put some alchol in there to absorb anything left... Then put in some fuel treatment and fresh fuel. Use the other junk in your lawn mower.

  8. #6
    Senior Member VDRIVERACING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
    If it's only 8 gallons I'd drain the tank, and put some alchol in there to absorb anything left... Then put in some fuel treatment and fresh fuel. Use the other junk in your lawn mower.

    What he said.

  9. #7
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default Thanks Guys

    Alright guys, so here's what I did. I used an outboard style priming bulb to pump the gas into a Costco size pickle jar (probably about a gallon in volume). The first fill of the jar was almost completely water with about a half inch of fuel at the top. I just dumped it. The next was about 50/50, so I poured the fuel off the top into a fuel jug. The third was about 30% water. And the fourth even less. I then unscrewed and emptied the water separator, ran two jars through it pouring the fuel off the top right back into the fuel tank. Then repeated the process three more times. At the end of the process I was getting 99% fuel in the jar. Emptied the float bowls then added 5 more gallons of fresh fuel and hit the water... Had a great day on the river, even ran the tanks completely dry. I hate running out of gas.

    Just thought I'd share for future reference.

    BTW: How exactly would a fuel tank that was empty a month ago, not been on the water more than 10 minutes since, stored under a tarp with no rain... How would 2 gallons of water get in the fuel tank? Do I need to start buying fruit baskets for the neighbors or something? Maybe video surveillance and a baseball bat
    Last edited by Budweiser; 07-08-2008 at 10:35 PM.

  10. #8
    cfm
    cfm is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,263

    Default

    I saw a boat that had a thru hull vent that was being force fed water as boat was running thru the water.

    I also caught myself once, while washing the boat and talking to someone, holding the hose pointed right at and in my thru hole vent fitting.

  11. #9
    CarbGuy RumRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lake Lanier
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Depending on your climate you can also get condensation causing this, especially under a tarp. Very common to happen to racecars stored in trailers out in the sun.

  12. #10
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    put a couple gallons of methanol in the tank, it'll mix with the water and allow the motor to light it off

  13. #11
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
    Depending on your climate you can also get condensation causing this, especially under a tarp. Very common to happen to racecars stored in trailers out in the sun.
    Could this be the issue? I live in Sacramento. It's hot, but the humidity is nothing like the Mid-West. Would more ventilation under the tarp possibly solve the issue?

    The tanks vent inside the hull. The only place water (in liquid form) could enter is through the fill cap. And like I said, it had only been in the water for 10 minutes (just idling at the dock) since I completely drained the tanks and added the 8 or so gallons of fresh fuel.

    If it is condensation, I'm definitely going to have to figure something out. 2 gallons of water in a month is crazy.

    I'm considering pouring some alcohol in the tanks while they're empty, and leaving the caps off to let it evaporate. I just want to make sure it wont eat through any of the fuel hoses and rubber seals. Is it safe to do this?

    Thanks again guys, for all your input and help!
    Last edited by Budweiser; 07-09-2008 at 11:22 AM.

  14. #12
    CarbGuy RumRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lake Lanier
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Budweiser View Post
    Could this be the issue? I live in Sacramento. It's hot, but the humidity is nothing like the Mid-West. Would more ventilation under the tarp possibly solve the issue?

    The tanks vent inside the hull. The only place water (in liquid form) could enter is through the fill cap. And like I said, it had only been in the water for 10 minutes (just idling at the dock) since I completely drained the tanks and added the 8 or so gallons of fresh fuel.

    If it is condensation, I'm definitely going to have to figure something out. 2 gallons of water in a month is crazy.

    I'm considering pouring some alcohol in the tanks while they're empty, and leaving the caps off to let it evaporate. I just want to make sure it wont eat through any of the fuel hoses and rubber seals. Is it safe to do this?

    Thanks again guys, for all your input and help!

    Not sure how much condensation there may or may not be...

    I would at least put one of those dampness absorber thingys under the top by your tank.

    I know my last blower motor sitting in the garage would get enough condesnation on it during the week to fill up the valleys next to the intake.

  15. #13
    cfm
    cfm is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
    Depending on your climate you can also get condensation causing this, especially under a tarp. Very common to happen to racecars stored in trailers out in the sun.
    Georgia is humid ? Since when ? LOL.

    That's what happens here too. Big temp and humidity swings. Anything metal - especially aluminum - sweats profusely. Thus why I rigged a electric pump to pull all the fuel out of the tank(s) in the spring.

    Some days you open the engine hatch and there is huge beads of water dripping from everything including the hatch.

    I pulled a friends 2 yr old seperator a few weeks ago and it was full of water and rust ! Nasty !

  16. #14
    CarbGuy RumRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lake Lanier
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cfm View Post
    Georgia is humid ? Since when ? LOL.

    That's what happens here too. Big temp and humidity swings. Anything metal - especially aluminum - sweats profusely. Thus why I rigged a electric pump to pull all the fuel out of the tank(s) in the spring.

    Some days you open the engine hatch and there is huge beads of water dripping from everything including the hatch.

    I pulled a friends 2 yr old seperator a few weeks ago and it was full of water and rust ! Nasty !

    Listen spacer boy....

    What kind of friend are you that your buddy hadn't changed his seperator in two years?!?!?!?!?!?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95