AN fittings
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 30

Thread:
AN fittings

  1. #1
    Led
    Led is offline
    Senior Member Led's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,493

    Default AN fittings

    I hate them. Maybe one day I will have the knack for them. They are great if I do not have to assemble them. Why do I have such a hard time with them. Swore last year I was switching to push locks.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Led View Post
    I hate them. Maybe one day I will have the knack for them. They are great if I do not have to assemble them. Why do I have such a hard time with them. Swore last year I was switching to push locks.
    Because you are too cheap to pop for a set of these. A 10 year old can assemble hoses with this.




    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  4. #3
    Led
    Led is offline
    Senior Member Led's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    No doubt about that, but it appears to me that you still have to push the hose in the fitting and then get the threads started

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    And you thought KY was only for....... Its obvious you are not use to a tight fit



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 04-22-2013 at 11:05 PM.

  7. #5
    Senior Member SHAWN DAVIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    lake Charles, Louisiana
    Posts
    640

    Default

    try using the black nylon braid hose, can cut it with scissors and installs on the fittings much easier

  8. #6
    Led
    Led is offline
    Senior Member Led's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Well I slept on it....and still hate them

    GN, I am using some good ol' sil-glyde, the KY doesnt get out of the bedroom, might lose it

    Shawn, I like black hose looks, havent used it, I will try it.

  9. #7
    Senior Member Franger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Re did my fuel system with the black braid and fittings, I like the looks. I decided to re do all the water lines also. I used Redhorse fittings and hose, I posted a thread bout em asking for anyone's experience, heard they were cheap Chinese junk and got mixed reviews but here's what I found ...... the fittings are really nice looking and seem to function well. The -8 and -10 hose works great during assembly, the -6 SUCKS .... I talked with w Redhorse tech guy who said they were aware that some -6 came thru with a slightly smaller ID than designed to have, lucky me, I got some of it.

    After talking with a few of the old timers in the braided hose/fitting industry it seems like one guy (an American) who (I was told) lives in China is who's made an fittings and hose for 30+ years for other companies is who owns Redhorse. I didn't quite understand the whole story but it sounded like the an fitting/hose craze got it's start when "a guy" started using military surplus stuff which is where the red and blue combo came from, not sure if that's the same guy. I had always thought companies like Earl's, Russell and Aeroquip were American made???

  10. #8
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franger View Post
    Re did my fuel system with the black braid and fittings, I like the looks. I decided to re do all the water lines also. I used Redhorse fittings and hose, I posted a thread bout em asking for anyone's experience, heard they were cheap Chinese junk and got mixed reviews but here's what I found ...... the fittings are really nice looking and seem to function well. The -8 and -10 hose works great during assembly, the -6 SUCKS .... I talked with w Redhorse tech guy who said they were aware that some -6 came thru with a slightly smaller ID than designed to have, lucky me, I got some of it.

    After talking with a few of the old timers in the braided hose/fitting industry it seems like one guy (an American) who (I was told) lives in China is who's made an fittings and hose for 30+ years for other companies is who owns Redhorse. I didn't quite understand the whole story but it sounded like the an fitting/hose craze got it's start when "a guy" started using military surplus stuff which is where the red and blue combo came from, not sure if that's the same guy. I had always thought companies like Earl's, Russell and Aeroquip were American made???
    In the early days all AN hose and fittings were war surplus. The problem was that all the hose ends were crimped on, mostly made by Parker. The guy that founded Earls developed the 3 piece hose ends we use today. You don't know the meaning of a bitch until you made up hoses using early Earl's nipple and cutter hose ends. By far the best ends ever made, but they were a bitch, and they allowed you to use war surplus braided hose and fittings. Todays fittings are almost all single nipple design and in comparison, a breeze to assemble.

    I used some of those Redhorse -6 hose ends on my carbs and I cussed them so bad I swore I would never use them again. Hopefully they fixed the problem.
    BTW, regardless where Redhorse is made, there are cheaper/worse fittings out there, and some of them are made here.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  11. #9
    Led
    Led is offline
    Senior Member Led's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    there are cheaper/worse fittings out there, and some of them are made here.
    I thought I was getting around the cheap stuff, I have almost all Earls fittings, BUT i hate them all

  12. #10
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Led View Post
    I thought I was getting around the cheap stuff, I have almost all Earls fittings, BUT i hate them all
    If you bought Earls Swivel Seal fittings, congradulations. You bought what is arg the arguably best sealing hose ends on the market. They are patterned after the original triple seal ends and they are a BITCH to assemble compared to most hose ends.
    Earls Auto Fit ends use the more common barbed nipple design the others use, and Earls started marketing to compete with them. Nowhere near the sealing power of the Swivel Seal ends. Yeah, they will make you hate life.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  13. #11
    Senior Member steveo143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Placentia, CA
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    I put the hose end and hose in boiling water and use a little antisieze. Go together much easier. The tool GN7 put up works good too!
    steveo143 AKA DiMarco 21 II



    Now totally Green on E-85, saving the world one ear of corn at a time!
    RIP Davey B and Denis and Chris and Bob GN7

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,829

    Default

    After getting the hose into the nut, I've found that by taking a large wooden dowel and rolling it around inside helps to assemble the part.
    One of the issues is cutting the hose. If the hose isn't cut straight and clean, it's going to be difficult to assemble. If a bolt cutter is used, it will deform
    the hose and you're off to a bad start.

    I use a small cut off saw that's sold by Harbor freight. It has a 6 or 7 inch wheel that lets you cut very accurately and the hose is cut square.
    Just wrap the hose with tape tightly and the stainless whiskers are usually not a problem for your fingers.

    After I figured this out, I have now become a fan of the black nylon hose. It doesn't scratch all of the polished parts or the floor and looks good.
    It also bends in a much tighter radius too.

  15. #13
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    If you guys have never assembled Earls Swivel Seal hose ends, your missing one of the major pains in the ass. They are completely different than any other hose end on the market. Totally different than even Earls Auto Fit ends.

    You'll notice that there is a cutter that splits the hose wall as you tighten the "B" nut, and it trys to push the hose out of the main "A" nut. They double seal the hose and they crimp down on the hose much tighter than a standard barbed nipple hose end.

    EARLS SWIVEL SEAL HOSE END



    EARLS AUTO FIT AND MOST OTHER AN HOSE ENDS




    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  16. #14
    Led
    Led is offline
    Senior Member Led's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366859865.649874.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	270753
    This one wouldn't come off, stripped, so I decided to cut it, useless any ways, needed to lengthen hose

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95