Comp Cams MaxJet
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 18

Thread:
Comp Cams MaxJet

  1. #1
    Senior Member VDRIVERACING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,640

    Default Comp Cams MaxJet

    Comp Cams is making jets called MaxJet where the size is actually the size of the hole (i.e., part number MJ98 is a .098 size hole--none of the Holley secret code sh*t), and they are hex on the outside so you use a nut driver to install/remove (...and not possible gouge the flowing surface).

    Seems like a good product... What say the experts???
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VDRIVERACING View Post
    Comp Cams is making jets called MaxJet where the size is actually the size of the hole (i.e., part number MJ98 is a .098 size hole--none of the Holley secret code sh*t), and they are hex on the outside so you use a nut driver to install/remove (...and not possible gouge the flowing surface).

    Seems like a good product... What say the experts???
    Not to say I'm an expert, but from what I know, you'll have to sort out your tune-up. Holley jet sizes are numbered as to what they flow, not hole size. A 95 Holley jet isn't going to be the same as a 95 MaxJet. Also note that no two dia's are going to flow exactly the same just because they're the same size...Holley flow's their jets and numbers accordingly. Doubt if Comp does this.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  4. #3
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    it'd get confusing using orifice size. lots of holley jets have the same size hole, but different tapering on that hole for flow increase.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    Totaly different as far as numbers go, but ALLOT nicer jet!
    As mentioned above you will have to establish a new baseline and familiarize yourself with them, but I think it is the way to go if you are a serious racer that actually tunes for the weather and expects the change to be right.
    We have been using Max jets for as long as I can remember. We made a conversion chart for Holley to Max Jet years ago based on actual flow numbers, but I am sure I have it stashed in the "glory day's" archive and may be a little tough to locate (somewere in the attic!)!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  7. #5
    Senior Member VDRIVERACING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,640

    Default

    [quote=Warp Speed;263602]Totaly different as far as numbers go, but ALLOT nicer jet!
    As mentioned above you will have to establish a new baseline and familiarize yourself with them, but I think it is the way to go if you are a serious racer that actually tunes for the weather and expects the change to be right.

    Right on!
    I think MaxJet is approaching the size/part# issue in a straight forward way. I read some literature that stated Holley's flow rating varied by 1.5% (which could mean you're not even on the size your intended to be), whereas the Maxjet hole size varied by less than .05%.

    Thanks for the feedback...

    Ps. MaxJet actually supplies a chart like you referred to, BTW.
    Last edited by VDRIVERACING; 07-20-2008 at 07:24 PM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  8. #6
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VDRIVERACING View Post
    Comp Cams is making jets called MaxJet where the size is actually the size of the hole (i.e., part number MJ98 is a .098 size hole--none of the Holley secret code sh*t), and they are hex on the outside so you use a nut driver to install/remove (...and not possible gouge the flowing surface).
    Bill, there is no "CODE SHIT" in Holley's jets. Each number represents approx. 2% change in flow. Since most weather stations give you the % in flow change you need to make, if you are useing Max Jets, you are now stuck with the task of figureing out the % change yourself. Do you know the % in flow change between a .098 hole and a .099? And you if can't change a jet without butchering it, leave it to someone who can.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  9. #7
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    [QUOTE=VDRIVERACING;263732]
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp Speed View Post
    Totaly different as far as numbers go, but ALLOT nicer jet!
    As mentioned above you will have to establish a new baseline and familiarize yourself with them, but I think it is the way to go if you are a serious racer that actually tunes for the weather and expects the change to be right.

    Right on!
    I think MaxJet is approaching the size/part# issue in a straight forward way. I read some literature that stated Holley's flow rating varied by 1.5% (which could mean you're not even on the size your intended to be), whereas the Maxjet hole size varied by less than .05%.

    Thanks for the feedback...

    Ps. MaxJet actually supplies a chart like you referred to, BTW.
    Holley makes jets that are called tight tolerance that are within .05% if you feel you need them. Each jet number comes in 3 sizes. A #95 will be followed by a letter indicating where in falls inside Holleys tolerance, hi, middle or low. They slightly overlap so a 95L flows almost the same as a 94H. Didn't know you were jetting your deal that nats ass but it's nice to know they are there for you guys that need them.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  10. #8
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    [QUOTE=gn7;264186]
    Quote Originally Posted by VDRIVERACING View Post

    Holley makes jets that are called tight tolerance that are within .05% if you feel you need them. Each jet number comes in 3 sizes. A #95 will be followed by a letter indicating where in falls inside Holleys tolerance, hi, middle or low. They slightly overlap so a 95L flows almost the same as a 94H. Didn't know you were jetting your deal that nats ass but it's nice to know they are there for you guys that need them.
    It's kinda like measuring with Plasti-gauge vs. a dial bore gauge. Just depends on what you want to do!!
    If the Holley shit was spot on we would just use the carbs right out of the box!
    As we have said in the past, for some close is good enough , but you have to remember, at some of our tracks 3hp is a tenth of a second in lap time, so you had better be "Nat's Ass" or you may get your's handed to you by the guy in the next garage stall!!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  11. #9
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    point being that you can tune just as tight with Holley jets as you can with Max Jets if you buy the right ones and alot easier, IMO



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 07-21-2008 at 04:24 PM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  12. #10
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    point being that you can tune just as tight with Holley jets as you can with Max Jets if you buy the right ones and alot easier, IMO

    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  13. #11
    Senior Member VDRIVERACING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Bill, there is no "CODE SHIT" in Holley's jets. Each number represents approx. 2% change in flow. Since most weather stations give you the % in flow change you need to make, if you are useing Max Jets, you are now stuck with the task of figureing out the % change yourself. Do you know the % in flow change between a .098 hole and a .099? And you if can't change a jet without butchering it, leave it to someone who can.
    Actually, you're quite incorrect. The Holley part numbers are indeed a code, and not directly related to bore size. I have yet to have someone demonstrate what, exactly, those numbers represent, but it isn't 2% flow. The graph below indicates variance in "volume" from part number to successivley higher part number. They vary from less than 1% to nearly 6%. Consider that the quality control--or lack thereof--multiplies that by a factor of another 1.7%.

    Thanks for menting Holley sells a higher quality part, but one has to question Holley's reasoning for not making that a standard for quality; at the least, for the size jets that would be considered for racing.


    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holley Jet.jpg 
Views:	1422 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	14344  
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  14. #12
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VDRIVERACING View Post
    Actually, you're quite incorrect. The Holley part numbers are indeed a code, and not directly related to bore size. I have yet to have someone demonstrate what, exactly, those numbers represent, but it isn't 2% flow. The graph below indicates variance in "volume" from part number to successivley higher part number. They vary from less than 1% to nearly 6%. Consider that the quality control--or lack thereof--multiplies that by a factor of another 1.7%.

    Thanks for menting Holley sells a higher quality part, but one has to question Holley's reasoning for not making that a standard for quality; at the least, for the size jets that would be considered for racing.

    Bill, no one ever said they represent a bore size!! They represent a flow change of approx 2%. If you have a need and then capacity to jet that accurately the sell "CLOSE LIMIT" jets. Why aren't they all close limit?COST



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  15. #13
    Senior Member VDRIVERACING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Bill, no one ever said they represent a bore size!! They represent a flow change of approx 2%. If you have a need and then capacity to jet that accurately the sell "CLOSE LIMIT" jets. Why aren't they all close limit?COST
    Bob, Bob, Bob.... Oh what shall we do. We're talking about BOATs here, this is no time to talk about money. When it comes to our hobby, money is but symbolic. Now, don't let this get you down. I know you mean well.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  16. #14
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VDRIVERACING View Post
    Bob, Bob, Bob.... Oh what shall we do. We're talking about BOATs here, this is no time to talk about money. When it comes to our hobby, money is but symbolic. Now, don't let this get you down. I know you mean well.
    sorry, I had a brain fart. It's the rest of the world that isn't interested in spending double for there jets when the standard issue ones get the job done. PS STILL RUNNING THE LAME ASS (AS IN CHEAP)DINOSAUROIL? Perhaps it's time to step up MONEYBAGS
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Q-Racing/721/1...819591%7C10461



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 07-23-2008 at 05:01 PM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95