cam help 502
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread:
cam help 502

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    48

    Default cam help 502

    I got a 2006 Gen 6 marine 502 model # 12568778. I have upgraded to imco power flow exhaust and edelbrock air gap performer rpm and msd ignition. 850 demon carb. the motor is in a 20.5' placecraft skier with setback Berkley. I want to put a bigger cam in it to take advantage of the induction and exhaust improvements. Any suggestions or experiance with a upgraded cam. I believe the motor is a 450hp motor stock. Thanks Jason.
    Last edited by cc23; 05-11-2013 at 04:33 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    northern member Canuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nechako
    Posts
    602

    Default

    a comp xm284hr would be about your max with stock springs . probably about max for wet pipes as well
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 If your ran a cammer your odds of finishing WERE ZERO.

  4. #3
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cc23 View Post
    I got a 2006 Gen 6 marine 502 model # 12568778. I have upgraded to imco power flow exhaust and edelbrock air gap performer rpm and msd ignition. 850 demon carb. the motor is in a 20.5' placecraft skier with setback Berkley. I want to put a bigger cam in it to take advantage of the induction and exhaust improvements. Any suggestions or experiance with a upgraded cam. I believe the motor is a 450hp motor stock. Thanks Jason.
    What rpm does it spin now?
    Do you plan on changing the impeller too?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    New here Beer:30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    4,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cc23 View Post
    I got a 2006 Gen 6 marine 502 model # 12568778. I have upgraded to imco power flow exhaust and edelbrock air gap performer rpm and msd ignition. 850 demon carb. the motor is in a 20.5' placecraft skier with setback Berkley. I want to put a bigger cam in it to take advantage of the induction and exhaust improvements. Any suggestions or experiance with a upgraded cam. I believe the motor is a 450hp motor stock. Thanks Jason.
    This is mainly geared toward EFI motors, but would work just as well with OK with your Demon. I would go to a single-plane instead of the air-gap intake though.

    Crockett Marine Engines
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    EFI is the wave of the future. There can be no denying it. Electronics have been on the leading edge of our entire lives. Not only os the magneto dead, but the standard issue CDI is wavering. Its all about total fuel, air AND spark control. Anybody that thinks its not has their head up their ass.


    2001 SleekCraft 30' Heritage SSB, open-bow mid-cuddy. 496HO / Bravo-I.

  7. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Thanks guys I don't know what it will spin now as I bought the boat with a hurt motor. Motor had a bad stock head gasket and a chunk of piston broke of in the number 3 hole. Its getting new bearings and rings, piston, valve job etc. I just thought while I was in there, might as well. I don't want to get crazy as this winter I wanna pull it down and do a 540 kit and heads on it.

    Thanks Jason

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities, TN
    Posts
    1,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cc23 View Post
    Thanks guys I don't know what it will spin now as I bought the boat with a hurt motor. Motor had a bad stock head gasket and a chunk of piston broke of in the number 3 hole. Its getting new bearings and rings, piston, valve job etc. I just thought while I was in there, might as well. I don't want to get crazy as this winter I wanna pull it down and do a 540 kit and heads on it.

    Thanks Jason
    If this is your plan then stick a used ZZ502 cam in it for the season. Save the money and build the 540 with the right cam in it this winter.
    Chris Straub
    Straub Technologies

    3HP is an A$$ Whooping!!! JW

  9. #7
    Senior Member Bubbletop409's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Castro Valley, State of Insanity
    Posts
    1,398

    Default

    That's good advise right there from the guy to go to when you need a new cam for that 540.
    Larry

    62 Bel-Air 409
    260 Eagle XP HP500EFI
    2016 Corvette Z51
    79 Cole TR-2 Sunset Racecraft 565 (RIP Tracy)
    Remember in November
    Well done USN Seal Team 6

  10. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Thanks anybody got one?

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
    If this is your plan then stick a used ZZ502 cam in it for the season. Save the money and build the 540 with the right cam in it this winter.
    X2 this is straight up Legit advise!

  12. #10
    Senior Member tigertooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cc23 View Post
    Thanks anybody got one?
    Competition Products Has A Ton Of Them, Priced Right Too.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95