looking for a proven camshaft
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread:
looking for a proven camshaft

  1. #1
    self proclaimed idiot Adam_R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Corona Ca.
    Posts
    320

    Default looking for a proven camshaft

    Building a mild BBC for my v-drive and need some help on a good camshaft choice. Its a heavy boat and I just want it to run good. The motor is going to be less then 10 to 1 with GM iron heads and logs with over the transom pipes. I want to run a roller but it also needs it to work with my cross ram and two 600 holley carbs. I found this one but it is just a shot in the dark because I'm not an engine builder.

    Application Valve Setting RPM Operating Range Camshaft Part Number Cam Grind Number Duration Valve Lift Lobe Sep Angle
    Adv. @ .050"
    In. Ex. In. Ex. In. Ex.
    Hydraulic Roller Hyd. Hyd. 2200 to 5800 11-451-8 XM284HR-10 284 290 230 236 .547 .547 112°

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Living in a cage of fear thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    16,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_R View Post
    Building a mild BBC for my v-drive and need some help on a good camshaft choice. Its a heavy boat and I just want it to run good. The motor is going to be less then 10 to 1 with GM iron heads and logs with over the transom pipes. I want to run a roller but it also needs it to work with my cross ram and two 600 holley carbs. I found this one but it is just a shot in the dark because I'm not an engine builder.

    Application Valve Setting RPM Operating Range Camshaft Part Number Cam Grind Number Duration Valve Lift Lobe Sep Angle
    Adv. @ .050"
    In. Ex. In. Ex. In. Ex.
    Hydraulic Roller Hyd. Hyd. 2200 to 5800 11-451-8 XM284HR-10 284 290 230 236 .547 .547 112°
    Not much to work with as far as info, but I can tell you that I am extremely pleased with the Comp. I have.
    It is a step up from the one you have listed.
    here:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...make/chevrolet

    454, Brodix 280CC rect., TR with 2 750 holleys. 9.5:1, but with OT headers.
    It is in a Miller Jet, A impeller, pulls hard to 5400, but on the dyno it made peak at closer to 6000. (575 HP)

    The engine gurus may chime in, and will certainly recommend a custom ground cam, and they wont be wrong.
    BUT, except whether that cam will work with logs, these Comp. XM Hyd. Rollers do work well in my experience.
    I've ran 3 of them over the years and basically they have worked as advertised.

    I will tell you this for certain, DO NOT run the Comp. Hyd. roller lifters if you go with Comp.
    Get the cam only and go straight to Straub for a set of Morrells.
    They require more spring PSI than the comp lifters, and I had to do some research on the comp spring chart to come up with 160lb. on the seat with the retainers, super locks, and installed height I had to work with. But with Chevy heads it may be more straight forward on spring selection.
    The comp. lifters are not a reliable piece, and even though the Morrells are twice as expensive, I would have been money ahead to buy them in the first place.

    You will have to mock all that up before getting the right pushrods for geometry, they will be shorter than stock and you may need some dremmel work on the heads to clear everywhere, in addition to making sure guideplates all line up right.

    I had 2 660's on it and it ran very hard with those as well.
    Tommy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexone View Post
    Tommy please remove all Jimsplace quotes from your sig and don't put more back. He doesn't like it and it is against the rules. Thank you.
    "So as through a glass, and darkly
    The age long strife I see
    Where I fought in many guises,
    Many names, but always me."

    Gen. George S Patton

  4. #3
    Senior Member SoldHondaBoughtHondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lake Havasu az.
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Cross ram? Does it have a common plenum? I tried one years ago that didn't and didn't much like it. Didn't use Holley though, i used the q-jets off my LT-1 that ran fine other than being one cold sob.
    Your results might very..
    When ya get it running, post it. I'd like to know how it runs for you.
    Pretty sure you will need a cam that likes a lot of rpm, the bottom end got plenty soggy even on q-jet primarys.
    "A liberal paradise would be a place where everybody has
    guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free
    education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free
    utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or
    not, such a place does, indeed, exist: It's called prison."

    Sheriff Joe Arpaio
    Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoldHondaBoughtHondo View Post
    Cross ram? Does it have a common plenum? I tried one years ago that didn't and didn't much like it. Didn't use Holley though, i used the q-jets off my LT-1 that ran fine other than being one cold sob.
    Your results might very..
    When ya get it running, post it. I'd like to know how it runs for you.
    Pretty sure you will need a cam that likes a lot of rpm, the bottom end got plenty soggy even on q-jet primarys.
    How many dual quad cross rams with a common plenum for a BBC have you seen?



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  7. #5
    Senior Member SoldHondaBoughtHondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lake Havasu az.
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    I haven't....else i'd probably be running it....with a couple q-jets
    "A liberal paradise would be a place where everybody has
    guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free
    education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free
    utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or
    not, such a place does, indeed, exist: It's called prison."

    Sheriff Joe Arpaio
    Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

  8. #6
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_R View Post
    Building a mild BBC for my v-drive and need some help on a good camshaft choice. Its a heavy boat and I just want it to run good.
    If this is a boat that you've run before and are familiar with...

    What rpm does it currently max out at?
    Is there anything about it's performance you would like to improve?
    Is there a transmission? What type?
    Do you know what gears are in the v-drive?
    Specs on the propeller/s you run #blades/pitch/diameter?
    GM heads... Do you have any idea about the casting number or port style?
    How many cubic inches is the engine you're building?
    Any info you have on the current engine is helpful too.

  9. #7
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Not much to work with as far as info, but I can tell you that I am extremely pleased with the Comp. I have.
    It is a step up from the one you have listed.
    here:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...make/chevrolet

    454, Brodix 280CC rect., TR with 2 750 holleys. 9.5:1, but with OT headers.
    It is in a Miller Jet, A impeller, pulls hard to 5400, but on the dyno it made peak at closer to 6000. (575 HP)

    The engine gurus may chime in, and will certainly recommend a custom ground cam, and they wont be wrong.
    BUT, except whether that cam will work with logs, these Comp. XM Hyd. Rollers do work well in my experience.
    I've ran 3 of them over the years and basically they have worked as advertised.

    I will tell you this for certain, DO NOT run the Comp. Hyd. roller lifters if you go with Comp.
    Get the cam only and go straight to Straub for a set of Morrells.
    They require more spring PSI than the comp lifters, and I had to do some research on the comp spring chart to come up with 160lb. on the seat with the retainers, super locks, and installed height I had to work with. But with Chevy heads it may be more straight forward on spring selection.
    The comp. lifters are not a reliable piece, and even though the Morrells are twice as expensive, I would have been money ahead to buy them in the first place.

    You will have to mock all that up before getting the right pushrods for geometry, they will be shorter than stock and you may need some dremmel work on the heads to clear everywhere, in addition to making sure guideplates all line up right.

    I had 2 660's on it and it ran very hard with those as well.
    The one thing to remember about the -8 hyd roller cores is they're cast and not up to a lot of abuse or spring pressure. Tommy, have you looked at your cam after running with that 160 on the seat? From what I've learned, that's pushing it on those cores. Also, 242/248 on a 112 would scare me to death with logs and a wet exhaust.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  10. #8
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    When did the word COMP and CAM start meaning the same thing. Are there ANY free thinkers out there anymore that know that Comp is not the only company in the world grinding cams?
    Comp is beginning to sound like the word Kleenex of the boating world. Just as well, I think of both as having the same uses.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    When did the word COMP and CAM start meaning the same thing. Are there ANY free thinkers out there anymore that know that Comp is not the only company in the world grinding cams?
    Comp is beginning to sound like the word Kleenex of the boating world. Just as well, I think of both as having the same uses.
    OH I Know this one......

  12. #10
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PS&B1 View Post
    OH I Know this one......
    I perfer to buy my cams and component from a knowledgable enthusiast, not a lawyer



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  13. #11
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I perfer to buy my cams and component from a knowledgable enthusiast, not a lawyer
    Yeah, but I bet you wouldn't mind that lawyer's paycheck...
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  14. #12
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    Yeah, but I bet you wouldn't mind that lawyer's paycheck...
    Its not hard to make money when your sell things like iron PERFORMANCE roller cams AND PEOPLE BUY THEM!!! Who knew you could get rich selling Chinese alum heads as american. When you're a lawyer I guess you know there are no real TRUTH IS SALES laws.
    Not saying Cavet emptor doesn't have its merits. Just over estimated the performance crowd's intelligence. He knew better of MOST people



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 05-29-2013 at 03:12 PM.

  15. #13
    Living in a cage of fear thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    16,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    The one thing to remember about the -8 hyd roller cores is they're cast and not up to a lot of abuse or spring pressure. Tommy, have you looked at your cam after running with that 160 on the seat? From what I've learned, that's pushing it on those cores. Also, 242/248 on a 112 would scare me to death with logs and a wet exhaust.

    I have not looked at the stick since putting the morrells in, at least not outside of the engine. I've had the manifold off once and just looked at it in the block.

    Looks to be in one piece.
    I don't know anything about logs , so like said I don't know how the logs would like it.


    I do run wet headers, but I have a manual switch in addition to the Bassett T and I have the water off at anything close to idle.
    In fact i leave it off a lot of the time. I kick it on when under way cruising.
    Tommy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexone View Post
    Tommy please remove all Jimsplace quotes from your sig and don't put more back. He doesn't like it and it is against the rules. Thank you.
    "So as through a glass, and darkly
    The age long strife I see
    Where I fought in many guises,
    Many names, but always me."

    Gen. George S Patton

  16. #14
    Living in a cage of fear thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    16,456

    Default

    Jeeze Bob...they aren't THAT bad.

    Mine does what is says it will do, and I smile everytime I drive it!
    Not everybody is racing for trophies or titles....

    Of course, if it snaps in half I'll change my story!

    The comp. lifters I had were junk, no argument there.
    Tommy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexone View Post
    Tommy please remove all Jimsplace quotes from your sig and don't put more back. He doesn't like it and it is against the rules. Thank you.
    "So as through a glass, and darkly
    The age long strife I see
    Where I fought in many guises,
    Many names, but always me."

    Gen. George S Patton

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95